What to buy? asus Vs gigabyte?

ASUS.. because the UEFI bios of gigabyte sucks ass with AMD.. not to mention more fine grain control for overclocking and a better feature set

1 Like

The newest gigabyte bios's are ok, but yes the old ones suck ass.

There still terrible in comparison to ASUS or MSI UEFI .. but MSI boards are not good so asus is the best choice

It only takes DVI.

The reason I suspected the motherboard is because the issue comes and goes depending on what hardware is connected to the PC, be it USB or PCIE devices.

You raise a solid point about the USB 3.0 being the first iteration being made available to the public, there were teething problems with SATA3 on the P67 chipset. (degredation) that involved a recall of my previous motherboard the P8P67 Deluxe also from ASUS.

Before that I had a 775 socket board from Gigabyte, I was going to buy a Gigabyte board for Z77 but ASUS had a superior BIOS with mouse GUI even on P67 they had this while Giga BIOS still was blue and white DOS theme. :)

Yeah I will say they aren't as good as the Asus bios's, but the MSI 990fx stuff is some of the cheapest quality I've ever seen from a major motherboard manufacture except for the 970 gaming one which is ok I guess. Although I do own a UD3 as it was a gift from an uncle, so I can say that it isn't as bad as you as from personal experience. There are some quirks but isn't too that bad.

Personally I dont prefer them. MSI is terrible because they still use analog VRMS due to the deal they had going.. and early on that was great BUT now digital has surpassed everything LOLS... MSI is just a failure for now.. they need to stop trying to get at ASUS with aesthetics and actually build something good for a change.. they never learn there lessons with VRM do they

Hey man if you are knowledgeable on the subject of VRM maybe you could answer this thread?

thread

That confirms that it is not the motherboard, although you wouldn't necessarily expect it. There are some usb drivers that make some hardware configurations spaz out. I saw this happen to a large youtube called barnacules when a usb hard drive enclosure made his pc get suck in a reboot cycle.

1 Like

So I should remove my other USB devices and drivers to see if it resolves the issue? I could then replace them one by one until I find the culprit perhaps..

I am a nerdgasm fan ;)

That would likely be a good way to find which device makes it freak out :)

1 Like

There is no manual setting to x8/x8 (all option it gives me is to set it to gen1, gen2, gen3) Yes when my raid controller is disabled it defaults back to x8.)

It doesn't impact performance much when ran at 1080p, but at 1440p or 4k well things change. I can see that my 1st GPU isn't feed fast enough (while 2nd has plenty of work, and perform better)

Yes I did, first they wanted to do RMA, and I did. Same problem persisted, they've told me that its sharing its lanes with few devices. Basically its bad allocation of resources.

==================
Now to the USB latency problem. I never had this issue but then again, i don't have mouse&keyboard plugged on it anyway. It could be problem with lanes not sure, try removing one gpu from your first port and test it, still i'd use it on normal generic usb 3.0 ports in the back.

--
Did not read all posts too many.

OP said they won't be over clocking.

i would go gigabyte, i have had a few issues with my asus board, but had none with the gigabyte i had before it.

1 Like

Asus. I've had both Giga and Asus boards for AMD, and Asus is the better of the two. You want UEFI, and the Giga boards are not very good on this front. Over all I would say Giga BIOS/UEFI is pretty bad compared to Asus. Check how often Asus updates compared to Giga, last update for the latter was 2013 for that board. You need to be careful what revision of the Giga board you buy, some revs are horrible.

TLDR; Get the Asus board.

Guys keep on topic please, we are taking about a AM3+ platform.
So everything intel boards related is totaly irrelevent.

In terms of those 2 particular am3+ boards, The Gigabyte UD5 is not that great at all, That board has allot of issues with overheating vrm´s, mosfets and also the bios is not that great. Unless Gigabyte made a new revision of the UD5, which i personaly doubt, then i would advice to stay away from that.

The Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 rev 4.0 seems to be a sollid board from Gigabyte, But i have personaly never been a fan of Gigabyte AM3+ boards at all, because of the issues they had in the past with their AM3+ line up.

Asus M5A99FX pro R2.0, has allways been a very decent an stable AM3+ board, with a 6+2 powerphase and digi vrm.

2 Likes

@MisteryAngel
I gave up to be honest, i stated my opinion on which is the better board. I kinda feel bad the thread got derailed SO hard just cause of someone's distate for an ASUS board.

Yeah my bad for continuing that intel board conversation...

I'm not going to apologize for it. A blanket statement was made about a whole company and their products based off of the experience of one product; an experience that was based off of non-conclusive observation of the facts. The evidence at hand happened to be with an Intel board. I think it was a great learning experience, and the only regret that I have about it is that we couldn't have been more definitive with the discussion. But, it's all good - as arduous as this thread may be for some, I'm sure there are those that wish more 'Versus' threads were this indepth.

Dont worry nobody asked for an apologie. :)
The only thing is, that the question was about 2 AM3+ boards.
So everything related to intel boards is a bit irrelevent.

Every motherboard manufacturer has their good and bad boards for that matter.