What to buy? asus Vs gigabyte?

To the OP, just read the specs list and pick the cheapest that has what features you need or want.

here's some proof.
Bios shows enabled Marvell driver, pci-e downgraded to 4x.
Shows only 2 cards inside installed (2x290x gigabyte) up and running. (if you are wondering why 2nd card is on angle, i used pci-e extension cable its normally mounted onto top of my pc - so they do not run too hot.

and I was a fan of asus, don't get me wrong they did some good products. (i have a lot of their products)

but as for latest hardware, they did not great.
I've tested 3 motherboards recently and asus p8z77-v deluxe lost to msi z77a-gd55
Asus had more features but ultimatly those features slowed the whole system, and i've tested faulty drives on usb... which killed whole system, as those are being shared with pci-e ports... its a bad design.

whats odd, the biostar was best for overclocking actually (even though its z68) i could oc i7 3770k & i5 2500k up to 5.2GHz with ease.

other asus products i have is T100 Transformer, Asus laptop A52Je... and few other antiques banging around the basement... (yes this is in my basement)

1 Like

Grr, it won't let me edit. I wanted to ask the OP, do you even care about over clocking? If not, don't waste your money on a board with that feature. Buying the biggest and best is great, but if you will never use the features that separate it then you are just throwing your money away. I like my money too much for that.

@wendell I am getting the error below when I try to edit my post on my Oneplus One with the latest stock ROM and Chrome 41.0.2272.96
"composer was opened without a draft key"

no i do not care about OC i have a 8350 and i am happy with that i just want the best board between the two id love to get a new sabertooth r2.0 but money is tight

Do you have screenshots of accompanying benchmarks to show that there is, indeed, a performance decrease? Also, have you tried manually setting it to x8/x8? (Does it default to x8 with a single GPU, and the RAID controller enabled?)

We're currently still within the realm of conjecture.

As for people buying more of something making a superior product, again, this is not true. People bought a lot of SSDs that utilized a Sandforce controller, did that make that controller type superior to others? Tons of people invest in the Hyper 212 EVO, does that make it superior to a Noctua NH-D14? In terms of performance, no, but in terms of a cost-benefit analysis, yes.

On a side-note, have you contacted Asus about any of this? What do they have to say about a suspected misprint in their manual, and a bad allocation of resources with the chipset?

So I see there has been a lot of hate for Asus motherboards here. From personal experience, and from the experience that has been shared by numerous forum members over literal years of use, that this particular 990fx pro 2.0 motherboard is kick ass. I don't know why there is so much hate for it here. We have recommended it for years and never had people come back complaining about this board. On the other hand, we see lots of cases of gigabytes 9** series motherboards breaking down. The first 3 generations of the ud3 and ud5 had undersized heatsinks that were not mounted properly. This was reported in mass amounts by many people that fell victim to these motherboards over heating and dying. The bios on the first 3 generations of ud3 and ud5 were pathetic, like bios from 2000 functional and feel. There has never been problems like this with an Asus motherboard. Admittedly, Asus RMA has been reported rather hit or miss in the past. But unlike Gigabyte, there hasn't been a need for many people to need there RMA services. And usually you can go to your retailer instead of Asus if something is wrong anyways and that is never problematic from Newegg or NCIX.

@thecaveman there's no ASUS motherboard hate, it's just Cyklon.

1 Like

The last half of this point is a pretty good run-down of the status quo, as experienced and viewed by many.

Both are, undoubtedly, good manufacturers of boards, it is just a question of if what you are buying is worth your money. For people who like options and features, the premium for paying for an Asus is worth it. Most people don't need that, however.

Your not paying a premium for the 990fx pro 2.0 though. Your paying more for other brands in this case, and not getting more then the pro 2.0 offers. The sabertooth and ROG products are different, but those aren't targeted at main stream guys. It is a purpose built enthusiast board.

Yeah, I was speaking in general terms. In this case, though, I would definitely say that the Asus has the better bang for the buck. The price of the Gigabyte motherboard, in this case, is explained through having more available PCIe slots (I think it was built with a three-way crossfire in mind?) and I think some more SATA connectivity, but, honestly, don't quote me on this.

The UD5 has 8 sata 6, although non-chipset sata is kind of horrible, so if your going to be using more then 6 sata then a raid card should be a given. The UD5 also has a plx chip to support 3 way sli and crossfire, but at the same time, 3 way crossfire/sli on any AM3+ cpu is going to be horribly bottlenecked, even if it is well optimized by a game which is a rarity in itself. The pro 2.0 has 7 sata 6 which is kind of weird, and the 7th sata is located in a weird place, kind of away from the normal 6 sata. It also only supports the normal 2 way sli and maybe 3 way crossfire. It isn't specified that it can do 3 way crossfire but there doesn't seem to be any problems with it from the slot and lane configurations. Although the same goes that 3 way crossfire/sli is dumb on AM3+, or really most any platform to be honest considering the diminishing returns due to optimization failures.

OK I have the same motherboard as you (P8Z77-V Pro), and I have had some issues with it which I'll describe below, your posts in this thread I have found very interesting.

My front panel Intel USB 3.0 header has never worked, the ASMedia one is slow and temperamental, I have had unexplainable and intermittent input latency with whatever mice I tested in the rear I/O USB 2.0 ports and in fact any other ports. This issue has driven me nearly insane in the past trying to find the cause of this, it seemed to vary by what hardware configuration I was using in the machine.

I run SLI GTX 670 in 8x8, my Marvel SATA controller has always been disabled in the BIOS so I have never noticed this issue, however I have been using the ASMedia USB 3.0 controller.

Have you ever noticed a slight delay with USB mice using the rear I/O USB 2.0 ports?

I tried using different GPUs, I even bought an R9 280 to see if it was perhaps something to do with the Nvidia drivers and this proved not to be the case, some weeks I would have things plugged into the machine and the latency would dissappear, then other weeks it would be back, I have spent many hours trying to find out why this may be, but have never replaced the motherboard.

My CPU is the 3570K, at the time of writing it is not overclocked, although it has been in the past and had no effect on the mouse issue.

I have also flashed every version of BIOS firmware to see if that changed anything, it did not and I am now back on the latest. Everything else works OK, my GPUs operate 8x8 in PCIE 3.0 mode, my intel SATA works.

The motherboard of discussion is a 990FX based motherboard which is an AMD Socket, your CPU is Z77 is an Intel chip on the Z77 Socket. thus not the same motherboard.

Astute observation, but my comment was a reply to CyklonDX because I read his posts and want to get more information from him about his motherboard, I am sorry if my reply was poorly worded and appeared as if I was incorrectly stating I own the 990FX board.

I edited it to be clearer.

Like @Kat said, you do not have the same motherboard. Sounds like you have some out dated drivers, and maybe a defective usb 3.0 header. Add on usb controlers are always slower then chipset ones, thats just a fact of motherboards. Add on usb, pcie and sata can't ever be as good as chipset stuff. Also, it sounds like your monitor, not graphics card dealing with the input lag. There is no possible way for it to be the motherboard causing input lag. It is not the part that is handling the mouse input, the processor is. So if your processor was slammed and lagging out, then it could be a possible source of input lag. But I'd bet money it is your monitor. Especially since your processor has been overclocked and is not having problems holding that overclock with no effect on input lag issues.

Saying

is still wayyy wrong. There are so many differences between an Intel chipset and AMD chipset, which is the main component that makes a motherboard. Everything is based around that chipset and socket.

Ok I didn't quote the guy and I'm getting railed for it this is understandable, I meant that I have the same motherboard as Cyklon, my post was a reply to his post and is labelled as such. Next time I will use the quote function.

**I have edited in a quote.

If this is objectively true, is it applied to USB 2.0 and 3.0 so long as they are not third party controllers?

It is not the monitor, there was no issue on my previous PC using the same display, all my drivers and BIOS are up to date, I have covered all such obvious bases to my knowledge.

Yep! Which is why the extra cost is explainable, and certainly not excusable.

... I feel bad that this thread has went all different sorts of tangents, but, it's become a good mine of information, so at least there is that.

There can be problems with third party controllers but if you are using rear io then you should be using normal chipset usb. Your also using a board that had the first generation of usb 3.0 available to the public. So you are thus an early adopter using somewhat unproven hardware at the time. This has never been an issue thats been reported, but it is possible being as it is a first generation product.

Unless you are having some weird first generation glitch with your usb controller, then there is no way it can be the motherboards fault. That is still very unlikely. It could be due to a bad video cable, or using a different input on the monitor. Some times different input methods will have varying input lag amounts. Displayport is usually one of the better ones.

Yeah this has been a lot of tangents thread. The UD5 is kind of a 'hey lets put shiny things on this board so people will buy it, even though it isn't functional...' kind of situation.