What is your ideal LAN PC?

This is a prototype of what I'm building, the specs are as follows:

Pentium G3258
16GB DDR3 RAM SO-DIMM 1600 IIRC
64GB Boot drive msata? or mini-pcie form factor
512GB Samsung 951 NVMe in PCIe 4x Adapter
Asrock IMB-181-L

10.1" LCD LVDS <-- currently an issue it's only running at like 3/4 resolution of the 1200p panel so I need to find or make a driver board for that. It's supported on the mobo but only up to 1080p iirc I'll need to double check. If not I'll beg asrock for an update.

I wanted a pretty cheap x86 linux box that I can take to LANs and events and not have to work about dealing with a full rig or a laptop that won't do exactly what you want 100% of the time (or driver problems because reasons).

A majority of the time at LANs I don't play very graphic intensive games.

Things I need to work on in my personal build

This can also double as a VM server if you swap the CPU, though no ECC RAM but eh... shielding could help limit that. The SMPS on the motherboard isn't the best for RF on the board.

I want to mount the LCD with 3M double sided tape an gaffer tape and prolly add a reflector so the black back panel doesn't get hot.

I need to mount the new boards inside the case (and probably shield all of them) and run the lvds through a hole in the chassis or a grommet.

I probably should attach the feet to the case some how, currently its' just sitting on 3D printed feet so they can be packed easily. I also want to add buttons and speakers to the case, the motherboard has 3 UARTs and 4 GPIOs so I could do the switches through there. The motherboard also has 2 3W amps for 1-2" speakers, I was trying to find some 3W 4ohm 40mm speakers that didn't suck but that may be impossible. xD.

Oh and the LCD and the computer is less than 62W I need to get a precise measurement later.

I guess this post kind of devolved into rambling about my particular build but I think that small custom builds can be done quite easily and you can tailor a build for what ever you want with a little planing and a hole saw and a drill.

1 Like

a 4u rolling case that has extendible handle and support beams for graphics and cpu cooler. along with a mounted 22in-27in 1440P screen. would be amazing to have an all in one case that i could take on to aircraft as overhead luggage. or put in trunk and not have to worry about it.

The rig I brought to LAN syndicate was perfect size wise, but it kept crashing so I only played games for a few hours

To be small and easy to lug around
I'd go with the Lian Li PCTU100-B

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/X6Hd8d

2 Likes

I'll be honest that after lugging my PC hardware and shipping a monitor cross-country for LAN Syndicate.. my ideal LAN PC is a laptop.

4 Likes

Yeah that's what's prompting this build even my prodigy with the monitor was just too hefty for me. Sadly my W110er doesn't play games too well without overheating.

Soon it will be Cardboard 2.0 for me. It's a full-ATX computer that measures 8W x 10L x 13H inches. And the body is made of cardboard.

Still a Work In Progress, but it's coming along nicely.

Yeah I would have to agree with that, It's nice being able to max out all your games and get a solid 60FPS but at LANs is that really needed? I'd be happy to compromise for a nice easily portable 13" or 14" capable laptop that'll be able to run most of my games at a solid 60 at about medium settings as it will only be used 2 or 3 times a year personally

I would agree, I used a "high end" laptop for several years, best thing to take on a deployment. However for LANs I think building a suitcase pc or something like that is more rewarding personally and a lot more fun, even if not it is as piratical and easy as a laptop.

Now if portability was king on my list, and I could afford it, the Razer Blade Stealth with a Core would be ideal as of now imo. That will change however when more manufactures bring to market their version of both, I don't mind razor products but I think they are more flash than anything else. Think MSI was coming out with a thin laptop that could connect to a Core like system, but again a pretty penny for that system too.

+1 to the suitcase pc. but i want one that doubles as monitor mount and can hold a ATX pc. then again i am also willing to lug around a full tower case and a 22.5in screen (currently in the planning stages to make a rolling pc case that has VESA mounts.)

I like your idea more, and its not ATX, but I would settle for this.

2 Likes

that is an amazing case just to small for the component's i want to use. i have a mind set of go big or go home. (sapphire R9 290x oc *bios flashed from a 290 oc 8350 with a nh-d 14 and my atx crosshair v formula. it is my current pc but transplanting isnt hard.)

That's a really neat case! I decided I'm also going to use this PC as a base station on for my FPV setup.

I want a BitFenix Prodigy with maxed out specs and a screen bolted to the side panel. Hopefully with the computer and monitor all tied into an internal power strip so that there is only one power cable.

Prodigy is heavy as shit and the feet need to be replaced for any long term usage, though this makes it a bit easier to take places and put in overhead bins.

See I'm not super concerned with weight, and I can deal with mending the feet.

My HP NW8000 is my LAN PC :P

Mines the 1.7 GHZ tho

I have never had to mend the feet... I've been moving constantly... From place to place across entire states its held up overall. Its not that heavy compared to my other friends PC's. Id still rather have the Lian Li for laning tho, as the feet/handles can hurt your hands with the right corners on the plastic.

I guess from my standpoint I would want a LAN PC I can have in my backpack all day and not mind.

2 Likes
2 Likes