What is your favorite video game soundtrack?

It’s always funny to me seeing GT videos with typical japanese game music. I remember playing the first GT and I was like: Yeah, the intro music is cool but what is this elevator crap in the menus? xD

I mean, this was the first GT thing I saw:

Anyone remember this one?

Or this one?

Oh, and these two I have as original CDs:

1 Like

GT2 was my first, somehow right there and then i loved the jazzy soundtrack, which I’m glad stuck with GT to this day.

1 Like

Hard to pick a favourite, but some notable mentions from over the years (roughly chronological order by personal platform ownership)

• Boulder Dash (Atari XL / C64) - many memories of playing that all night on the weekend as a kid
  • Xenon II Megablast (Amiga version)
  • Speedball 2 (Amiga Version)
  • Turrican 1, Turrican 2 (Amiga)
  • The Killing Game Show (Amiga)
  • Silpheed (PC version, Roland or adlib) - extremely impressive with MT-32, even today! From 1988! Seriously… go listen, be blown away.
  • Zone66 (PC - soundblaster + roland)
  • Wing Commander 1/2 (PC)
  • Doom (Original, PC - Roland or SoundBlaster)
  • Ultima VII (PC)
  • Wipeout 2097 (PS1)
  • Vampire TMB (PC) (Nightclub, the haunted mansion - play that shit with the lights out!)
  • Baldurs Gate II
  • Gran Turismo 1
  • DOOM 2016

edit:
If i have to pick only one… it would have to be silpheed. it’s just so well produced, and for its time… well, amazing. There are videos of it on youtube. Be sure to google for it using Roland MT-32!

These are my jams:

Yoshi’s Island Athletic Theme

Sonic 1 Marble Zone Theme

And Gwyn’s Theme:

2 Likes

Arma 3

Also Larry. Nevö forget

Man, this is a throwback for me but I have a ton of memories of playing Dungeon Siege with my Dad and my brother back in the day.

Always loved this song:

I also was a huge Starcraft (and Brood War) player and always enjoyed the soundtracks in the campaign.

Also can never forget about the OG Halo Song:

1 Like

I really liked the Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas soundtracks.
I don’t know how they found them, but each seems to add to the game, despite being decades old.
I’ve even gone and sourced them just to listen to in general.

1 Like

Was just browsing my Steam wishlist and about to buy State Of Mind. So the question was is the soundtrack worth having?

Well, I think it is:

https://play.google.com/music/m/Bxle4jvsojemkeibnrb4tpn4r2y?t=State_of_Mind_Original_Daedalic_Entertainment_Game_Soundtrack_-_Go_Zebra_Go

Silpheed <3

Roland MT-32 :muscle:

I think the biggest shock is just how far beyond the graphics the audio is. It is even good with Adlib/Soundblaster, but MT-32 is far and away better…

For comparison (adlib):

Oh fuck yeah for Lord of Cinder

You get to that part in DSIII?

2 Likes

yea sure , I cried, just as I did when was facing Gwyn for the first time…

and kept hesitating killing him because of the song

1 Like

I haven’t played Fallout 4 in about a year, but I still listen to the soundtrack pretty regularly. Im all about the Bethesda hate due to the F76 dumpster fore, but they really are good at finding good music for their titles.

1 Like

A difficult question.

I’m torn between Ocarina of Time, and GTA: Vice City.

2 Likes

Not quite a soundtrack, but BattleBlock theater definitely has the best cutscenes of all time.

tried to include a link of all the cutscenes, but can’t.

1 Like

The inro music of Wolfenstein Enemy Territory
Also the Diablo 2 backround music :slight_smile:

LIIIIVE THREAD, LIVE AGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIN…

1 Like

Been using this in the background when I study recently

1 Like

For me, its palm tree panic (past)

1 Like

I don’t know if those count. Both of them add super cool vibe to the accompanying games. I don’t really listen to them on their own, though I could throw the first soundtrack to one of my playlists since it fits the theme.