What is your favorite video game soundtrack?

Sorry to be off topic, is that actually finished yet?

1 Like

Beta maps for some Xen levels are out; and they’re working on the final levels of xen while tweaking the current public beta levels. The amount of work done in the levels they’ve released with regards to textures/map design/mechanics/voicelines and animations of NPC’s, its no wonder it took them this long given the resources they have to work with. I hate to say this but SoonTM… but they haven’t given up and the work shown makes me excited to see its final release.

1 Like

ok Im enjoying this song to much… love everything about!

I frequently listen to The Grim Fandango soundtrack

Mostly just the tracks that are of decent length—at least 3 min.—are mixed in amongst other non-video-game songs in various playlists. I wish all the tracks had been fleshed out to be much longer—many are only about 1 - 1.5 min.—so I’ll listen to them when I listen to the whole soundtrack, but no other time because they don’t really fit outside of that listening context.

3 Likes

Last I heard of it they were releasing the first Xen levels… So no… They still try to fix what isn’t really broken…

By far.

I am in love with this game and its story telling and music. An artistic masterpiece the whole thing.

Other than that, HL2 is also amazing at creating atmosphere with its music.

1 Like

Chrono was great, but Final Fantasy 6 (FF3US) was hands down the best.

https://forum.level1techs.com/t/post-what-new-thing-you-acquired-recently/88085/14869?u=imhigh.today

I don’t disagree that’s FF6’s a wonderful soundtrack. There are tracks in it that are more moving than anything in Chrono Trigger, but I don’t give it top spot.

The main reason being that it’s been arranged and performed a bajillion times and some of those arrangements surpass the original in my ears.

I also don’t think it’s as strong beginning-to-end as Chrono Trigger. Several of the tracks are short, and a little jarring to listen to as an album.

I was just going by my recollection of it, as those were some of the biggest games in my life as a teenager. The atmosphere it created had few parallels in any other games at the time.

I’d imagine stuff like the fight scene, world, cave, dungeon music and the like stitched in with the longer ballads would probably feel jarring. As per above, it isn’t something I would sit down and listen to from beginning to end unless I was drunk out of my mind.

Regarding the VVVVVV soundtrack, it is really interesting. I personally love Positive Force, perhaps because of the area it is associated with since it is a tough but fun section with upward auto-scrolling. The whole soundtrack is varied yet seems amazingly well done to my untrained ears. Better than most games trying to cash in on the pixel art genre.

I really love the idea of purposely creating limitations to overcome, such as using 8 bit tones to make music. It’s counterintuitive, but when every option is open there is less creativity. More people will end up going down similar paths, whereas having a hard restriction leaves you to either become amazingly creative or give up. I’ve read numerous times about older hardware like NES and GameBoy where there were lots of limitations and people found ways to work around them to produce some amazing games, along with memorable sound effects and music.

I recently played the original Dragon Warrior (Dragon Quest) and was reminded of how good that music was for the time. I doubt many people would consider it particularly amazing, but with all of the restrictions they had, they made interesting music that I still remember vividly.

Best sound track ever

5 Likes

Too many to list but off the top of my head:

Deus Ex Human Revolution (BTW it’s free on Archive.org since the record label ceased operations)
Deus Ex Mankind Divided
Horizon Zero Dawn (including The Frozen Wild)
NieR:Automata
The Last of Us

2 Likes

I was annoying myself thinking in had forgotten some.for sure. Yes Hotline Miami, though… That was existing music used in the game and not made specifically for it.

Same with my other one, Lethal League. Really good music but all pre existing.

Do I listen to these at home much? No.
And these are obviously just a few off the top of my head.
But they are great ones.

btw. I think we had something like this thread already… anyway.

HALO

Vanilla World of Warcraft (or Classic today)

Homeworld

Diablo

3 Likes

Been Listening to all of these songs recently and these are my favorites in the game, still baffled at the quality:
I haven’t heard this yet in the game but I can only assume its the final boss music… and it is glorious at the end!

I always loved this one, as you explore the wildlife in Xen the flora and mystical design of the enviroment was enhanced with the lighthearted beat of this song:

This song really added to the mystery and wonder a player feels when exploring the beautiful and yet hazardous world of Xen.

Gotta say this OST is high up on my favorites list, next to witcher 3 and halo CE-2s soundtrack.

Oh, here is something I actually listen to.

Thought of another one that I listen to frequently outside of a gaming context.

It’s part of my chill-out music. I generally feel pretty relaxed after listening to it. I’ll also listen to it when engaging in right-brain work.

1 Like

Currently making my way through a rabbit hole of game OST covers on youtube and this one is damn impressive I think:

timestamped

Also yesterday I found Alina Gingertail and her channel of covers. Can recommend!

Currently making my way through a rabbit hole of game OST covers

Not quite a cover, but…

Sam Dillard (SamoStudios) does cinematic adaptations of OSTs and they’re phenomenal. I just backed his latest project, which is finally getting around to Final Fantasy VI.

Gran Turismo, all of them, specially 5.

And 4.

Same here!

1 Like

Definitely A.M.O.K Old Sega Saturn Game. But I pretty much love anything that Jesper Kyd has done.