What is after Gasoline cars?

According to wikipedia, 62% is natural gas and the rest a by-product of crude oil, the video also said so. My point is that it is a different product which is half the price, that means less revenue for the oil companies and more for the consumer. I didn’t imply in any way lpg hasn’t anything to do with oil companies, I mean a competing product.

Although this Le Mans electric race car looks weird, I like the concept.

What if there was a standard automotive battery pack with each car carrying 2 or 3 packs?
Instead of waiting for recharging, a driver could have a robot swap a spent pack for a charged one.

Technically we already have the tech to fill a car up with electricity in short order, but the manufacturing has not been perfected.

It also kind of doesn’t matter…ish.

Unlike a gas, you do not have to have a gas station to get electricity. Tons of electric parking spaces exist where you can get a small charge while you shop or work, and most importantly you can charge at home. Most people on average drive less than 40 miles per day. If you charge over night at home, you will never need

Long distance travel is a real issue though. However most drivers live in the city or other populated areas. Getting as many of those people on electric power will push the industry to move towards things like graphene batteries to stay competitive. This will in turn drive the power density and will ultimately suit the people who drive very long distances.

Query: I can’t find a shop fan (16in. fan that can actually move a decent amount of air) that can run almost non-stop without dying after 6 months. Dying meaning that it loses speed, the motor gets almost too hot to touch, etc.

Why should I assume that electric vehicles are any different? Is it because of the sheer size of the motors in EV’s that they are more durable, or just the shop fan industry being cheap and shitty?

Hopefully clean mass transit, clean cars and other stuff on a worldwide scale. Die commerce die so we get there quicker.

One problem I have is that I feel EV’s won’t have the same feel as gas powered vehicles, being a car guy.

Allegory: vinyl has a better feel than most digital music.

EV’s, I worry just won’t have the same analog feedback and feeling you get from a good gas powered vehicle. You won’t feel the road through your foot the way you do through some gas powered cars, or the rev of the engine. Something sensory is lost because you’re going from a possibly mechanical interface, to a purely wired interface.

Because in Tesla’s the Battery and Motor are actively liquid cooled. When they heat up, the car DOES limit its maximum power output and charging speed. https://youtu.be/ojUFPKgs6iI?t=1712

1 Like

They’re completely different. More simple really.

The pedal has 0 lagg.
There’s no engine noise, besides a whirr of the motor…
the acceleration is smooth.

I think the majority of vehicles these days have already lost the feel and feedback you’re referring to. Yes there are still some cars made today that feel great to drive but so many mass market cars feel like shit.

My grandmas '13 ford escape, where the pedal tells the computer how much throttle to give the engine feels like like poop.

2 Likes

Thats one of the reasons why i dont really like modern cars.
They all feel so fake.

And yet the rhino body of a Nissan Murano that I currently drive, circa 2010, feels pretty damned good.

I can weave that thing in and out of traffic with ease, and get a good feel of the road through the wheel and the pedal.

¯_( ͠° ͟ʖ ͠° )_/¯

Electric cars drive different. Every car drives different.

I’m not sure what you’re looking for?

I just don’t like the “fly by wire” of EV’s.

It removes part of the feel that lets you sense what the vehicle is doing, what the road is like, etc.

you would have loved my 85 chevy sprint that I had, at 1500 lbs you felt everything :slight_smile:

It would probably been a good choice for conversion, a bunch of online communities into converting gas cars to electric, usually with old forklift motors

2 Likes

When you get a chance test drive a tesla, do it.

Sure you lose The pedals feeling of what the engine is doing… But you do NOT lose the feeling of the car on the road. Tesla’s with their battery in the bottom of the car give it an impressive feel on the road. Minimal body roll, zero shake, wheel is responsive through turns…

1 Like

But is the wheel mechanical or electric? I hate numb steering wheels.

Mechanical with electric assist. You can still turn the wheel with the car off, It’s just more difficult just like a normal car. The electric power steering also allows 3 steering modes which you can set in settings comfort-normal-sport

2 Likes

I’m excited to see the new 2018 Nissan leaf. Rumors and sightings seem to concern the removal of the Bug-like headlights.

damn that car is ugly.

(old)

(new)

1 Like

As long as I can get feedback from the road and the car that gives me sensory information that helps me know what the car is doing, I’m fine with it.

Sensory input is far faster and more informative than any amount of sensors and readouts can ever be, to a driver.

Except maybe the speedo and the gas gauge lol (I guess also the tach for those who want to spend more of their attention on shifting gears than actually driving the fucking car)

@TeckMonster What does you Nissan Leaf drive like compared to normal IC cars?

1 Like

I personally dont really think that fully elektric cars are going to be the future.
I mean to re-charge a battery, that takes just too long.
Unless they find some solution to that, i personally dont think that the petrol or diesel engines are going to fase out, atleast not in the near future.
We might going to see more hybrids in the future maybe.
Or cars that run on earth gaz.