What Hidden Windows 10 Features do you Like?

I have noticed winkey+1-9 works more reliably for pinned apps and switching between instances of pinned apps

Start menu search still garbage compared to wox or launchy tho

4 Likes

Did not know that you can open those pinned things like that

Going to rebind my M95 numpad or macro keys to win+123ā€¦, have to just try and see which one works better :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

Yeah problem with the search is it findsā€¦ a lot, and a lot that is not relevant. Also the order in which things appear doesnā€™t seem consistent. Like on Windows 8 and lower you could just type, hit enter while the result wasnā€™t even shown and it would open whatever application you were looking for. The new search sometimes lists something different in the first result and you just randomly happen to launch Edge or whatever.

1 Like

How do you use it? Iā€™ve gotten used to just typing what i want through using GNOME so often. Meta + type stuff. This seems to work really well in windows, at least with later versions.

I must confess it has been a while since Iā€™ve used Windows 10. The feature I liked was the ability to roll back to my original o/s after test driving it. Ooops! My apology. That feature also failed. I had to call Microsoft to get my original o/s back. A funny thing happened though on the way back to Windows 8.1. . . Microsoftā€™s backup software failed to restore the sytem image and the personal files. Aaaaw shucks. Who woulda thunk? Good thing I had copies of the more serious stuff on a different o/s on a different PC. Gotta love Win-Doze! :slight_smile:

Exactly that behaviour is what I found to be more reliable on older versions. Win10 results arenā€™t consistent imo (see above).

Or did you mean later Win10 versions? Because then yes, it seems to have gotten better.

Got any examples? Iā€™ve been finding it pretty reliable. first result is always the most relevant, at least for me.

Not really any examples as it happens randomly. Sometimes it will list a file as the first result when I search for the name of an application.
In general it finds the application first, but occasionally it doesnā€™t. And thatā€™s just annoying and frustrating because it will open a random app that the file happened to be bound to.
The same happens with online results every now and then. It seems to be in whatever order it found the results, and sometimes the indexer seems to be slow on returning a result. I canā€™t really explain it to be honest.

What also used to happen (I havenā€™t had it in a while, but Wendell mentioned it recently). When you type the first few letters of an app name, it will find that app. But if you type just a key more it will sometimes find something completely different, and/or not the application at all.

It doesnā€™t happen often, but thatā€™s what makes it annoying.

1 Like

First thing Iā€™m noting from using these macro keys to do Win+123ā€¦

Any binds to close that pinned 1?

Would need that combo move to use next song button with another player
Also I would set Gimp to close itself as I just use it as resizer, cutter, png exporter, it just doesnt need to be open

1 Like

You mean a shortcut to close an open application? How about Alt+F4?

I can do pictoral guide to these binds, why? I need it myself :joy:

Meta=Windows Key
Taskbar pins=Windows Key+1-9

Btw if anyone plans on using this with multi monitor taskbar (set up to only show applications on their respective monitor)ā€¦ apparently it only works with the main monitor taskbar :frowning:

This one is really old but still useful. I think I was shown this way back in the 9X days. It still works in Win10.

Place the icon for notepad on the desktop. Drag any file over the icon and release, it will open in notepad if notepad can open it. Useful for looking at cfg, ini and other configuration files without breaking file association.

1 Like

You can do this with programs pinned to the taskbar too.

3 Likes

this is not a recent change but other than the already mentioned keyboard navigation improvements i like windows 10ā€™s improved tiling, it is not the greatest tiling but it is much better than nothing. you also have meta+tab which is basically the F4 function on a mac with added virtual desktops, i donā€™t find myself using the virtual desktops or meta+tab much though

2 Likes

I really like the group policy editor. That way I could get my machine to do updates when I told it to. Not the other way around. It doesnā€™t interrupt me, and doesnā€™t suddenly demand a reboot. And I can leave for days crunching on something, and not come back to a machine that updated and rebooted without my knowledge.
Iā€™m not saying updates are bad and should be avoided. But Iā€™ll update windows when it suits my scheduleā€¦
Also post boning all updates (beside stability and security) for 1 year is really handyā€¦

1 Like

Unless itā€™s an app Windows 10 doesnā€™t want you to use, like internet explorer. Have had multiple cases here where typing the whole ā€œInternet Explorerā€ will either only prompt to search bing or will suggest using edge. Had to manually find the iexplorer.exe to launch Internet Explorer

And before yā€™all say it we have some clients that use web services that are only compatible with Internet Explorer. Plus my current employer hates Firefox (and pretty much any FOSS software) with a passion.

I like that all of my drives show up automatically.

This makes it so that I can easily set filepaths for all of my library folders, games, etc. I have a 480GB SSD as my boot drive and also run programs off of it as well. But when it comes to games, I keep all of those on a separate 1TB SSHD. And then for mass storage I have a 4TB HDD.

In Linux, the only drives that show up are my boot drive and external HDD. Itā€™s possible to set up how I want it, but I donā€™t feel like messing with it because I canā€™t get all my games to run anyways so I just stick with Windows for that.

Windows supports setting up automatic use of IE dependant on the website requested. Edge also has a ā€œopen in IEā€ button for those shitty old corp sites.

I feel that would work for about half of our clients, the other half cannot stand any single little change in their workflow. If you pin a shortcut to the taskbar and remove it from the desktop they absolutely lose their shit thinking they cannot get to the Internet at all. County government employees are the worst for this.

I will not diverge from the topic any farther than that.

I do like the virtual desktops in Windows 10, and the taskbar actually spanning multiple screens now. Itā€™s a UI improvement over 7.