What Hidden Windows 10 Features do you Like?

Not stricktly microsoft, but it is windows 10. If you have a realtek audio

I notice that Microsoft have a similar settings app for their surface mice, i wonder if we can expect more.

(note, you might not be able to install it yet)

Honestly, I forgot that Microsoft Store exists, I have not seen this site before

Soon as I enter to that Realtek link, It does thing like this “I dont have it”
Store

Couldnt get Win+arrow binds to work with numpad, so I just have that center 5 Moses button there
In fact, think that these Win+arrow key binds could have split to left & right

Mostly security related aspects of the system some users may not know about.
Disable DMA when locked, can help stop DMA attacks over Thunderbolt, Firewire etc.
Stop cortana, disable store and telemetry (Education/Enterprise only)
Applocker is my sweet lover in Windows 10, much easier to use than other SRP. (Again edu/enterprise only)

Oh and how can I forget Sysinternals, not included in Windows but a must have, written by Microsoft, to be honest it should be included by default…

1 Like

The sysinternals tools are pretty amazing. I have been using the registry monitoring feature of process monitor since the program was originally called regmon. Interestingly, the author of most of the tools is Mark Russinovich who apparently was public enemy number 1 at microsoft’s legal department when he wrote the earliest version of the tools for his company called winternals. Which he was then “convinced” to change the name to sysinternals and was acquired by microsoft where he is now a big wig in their azure department.

1 Like

I like the bluescreen feature. It gives me a reason to use something else.

/s

I didn’t know about the clipboard stuff. I’ll have to try that.

1 Like

I like that services can be restarted from task manager, the processes tab actually expands to show services in the tree, and the gpu utilization column.

Now I wish they had the notification area on all taskbars instead of just the main monitor. Also something like mate or kde to replace the native windows DE would be fuckin neato.

1 Like

This is another neat little feature they’ve added.

1 Like

Win+space then type what I want. Very similar to gnome then

1 Like

If you’re getting bluescreens at this point you’re either doing something horrible to your PC or you use the wrong software.

Also, have you ever heard of a kernel panic? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yeah but buying him out was one of their best moves.
Marks a legend and the amount he knows is nuts, hes basically a dev, sysadmin and all around badass rolled into one well paid package :slight_smile:

Not sure if they were implemented in windows 10 but touchpad controls are great.

Three finger tap: Start menu search
Three finger slide up: (from desktop) opens last window. (from window) opens app switcher, similar to holding alt+tab
Three finger slide sideways: Quick select app switcher
Three finger slide down: (from window) returns to desktop
Four finger tap: opens notifications
Four finger slide sideways: Changes between virtual desktops

4 Likes

Of course I’ve heard of a kernel panic.

Does not fix the main problem which is that almost everything requires a restart. Pretty silly if you ask me. We should have fewer restarts and make automatic restarts an opt-in feature.

[Control]+[Shift]+[Escape] to open the Taskmanager

I have to say windows 10 has on of the best start menus. Not cluttered not complicated.
Also the windows 10 search is on of the most frustratring things i have seen in a while. I have 3 Windows 10 PCs at home. On every pc i get different search results for the same phrase…

Wox and thank me later :smiley:

2 Likes

Hmm… think itd be great if these taskbar binds “Win+number” would work instead through that start menu panel

and also have that damn quit for it, I need to close Spotify and open foobar2000 while I’m killing, things

Alt+F4 is still a thing :confused:

I’m not sure if you are just trying to annoy or trying to be witty or whatever

No, thats not going to work out that well, it’ll first close video game, then browser, and finally Spotify
and “tabbing” to that Spotify kills the purpose of having any hotkeys for quitting it