What do you use your idle servers & PC's for?

I have been letting my workstation run BOINC in the background while I am not using it (which is often). What are other usages people have found for their idle computers and systems?

2 Likes

I have an always on Nas, which has like router, firewall, storage etc, running all times

Apart from that, I power down the other systems.

Before electricity went cray cray, then I would leave some just idling, ready to go, but no-one got time electricity for that now… :slight_smile:

4 Likes

You could join the L1T folding team😉

2 Likes

I mine monero. It’s mildly profitable, as my country is fond of nuclear power and therefore electricity is still reasonably priced.

1 Like

BOINC and Folding At Home Team 2233. Four graphics cards and two cpus.

Folding at home - team 242858. I’m a bit behind L1 (I’m 635 vs L1 154) but I am now a team of one!

Good point (well done on your personal team! )
And Just in case anyone wanted to join them crazy folders… 232084

when I first revived my old BOINC accounts, the BOINC homepage directed me to use Science United since the old Grid Republic account manager seems to be defunct now. However, Science United intentionally does not seem to have the concept of “teams” or public leaderboards in an effort to democratize the process, or something like that. I made an account with BOINC Stats (previously BAM! Boinc Account Manager) and used that for a few weeks instead to try and get back in the groove with public teams participation, however, the exprience was incredibly bad thanks to all the issues with CPID syncing, after many weeks of crunching Work Units my BAM! account still is not reporting credits and some of the projects themselves are not even reporting credits to my account despite the projects and BOINC Stats showing my host system’s credits just fine. I spent a long time messing with it and trying different ways to resolve the issues, nothing worked, so finally I am giving up on public teams again and just going back to Science United since that one had no issues. Sad, really, cause the teams and public scoreboards were fun. Oh well.