What do you think of this build?

Just remember the rumors: Ryzen 3000 series could offer a 6 core/12 thread/5GHz monster CPU for the whopping price of like $99 USD.

That is probably too good to be true.

Ya Iā€™m not a fan of amd really soley because Intel has better performance for gaming most of the time. But if I can hold off till they release the new CPUs Iā€™ll consider them depending on the performance

That might be true before the Ryzen series came out. But these days you canā€™t really overlook the Ryzenā€™s price to performance against Intel.

yes price to performance is good but when i build i buy the best even if it costs more.

Thing is the ā€œintel bestā€ (for consumer desktop) is going to be relevant for about 3-6 months and then it is going to be blown into the weeds by what AMD have in the pipe. That you could upgrade to for peanuts vs. what youā€™d pay for a 9900k. On the 8700 or 9700k youā€™re going to be on a dead platform with no upgrade path, running a 6 core CPU in a world where 16 cores is mainstream-mid-range, this year.

If you want to ā€œbuy the best, even if it costs moreā€ why arenā€™t you looking at X299?

Im pretty sure they did not confirm 16 cores, but i could be wrong. also why would i need 16 cores for regular use and gaming? I donā€™t really care about upgrade path. I want it to last 5+ years and then Iā€™ll upgrade the main things.

x299 is not needed for my usage. i believe the performance is better with 8700k/9900k than anything similar price wise for x299.

9900K currently is the fastest cpu.
So yeah if you want the highest fps scores at 1080p, then the 9900K is the chip to get.
But if the main focus is gaming a i5-9600K would also do very well.

But if you want to game at 4K with a single gpu like RTX2080ti for example,
then the choice of cpu barely matters at all.
Because at 4K you will be mainly gpu limmited.
So there will be barely a difference between a Ryzen 2700X and a 9900K at 4K gaming,
with a single gpu setup.

X299 isnt really a viable option for gaming indeed, same counts for Threadripper.
HEDT platforms dont make any sense if you main focus is gaming.

In terms of decent Z390 motherboards there is a decent choice out there.

Highend:

• Asus Maximus XI Extreme.
  • Asus Maximus XI Formula.
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Extreme.
  • Msi Z390 MEG creation.

Semi highend.

• Asus maximus XI Hero.
  • Asrock Z390 Taichi.
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master.

Canā€™t really go wrong with any of those.
But if you want the sqeeze the best performance out of a 9900K,
then i would probablly take a look at the highend ones.

Thank you very much for all this information. What motherboard would you recommend for 8700k? Everyone in this post does not think the 9900k is worth it for my usage. Also do you recommend z370 over z390 or any z370 that come close to your z390 recommendations? @MisteryAngel Do you think the Asus Maximus XI Hero is the same as Asus Maximus XI Hero gaming and/or Asus Maximus XI Hero wifi?

Iā€™m trying to get a good overclocker and possibly auto overclock(never ocā€™d before). I plan on OCing later in the lifespan when I see a performance drop. From what I understand OCing reduces the lifespan.

I am also gaming at 1440p and want highest fps with Max settings. I will be getting a 2080.

z370 vs z390 is pretty much the same damn thing in many cases. Since the biggest difference from a chipset perspective is inbuilt usb 3.1 and wifi. But that never stopped mainboard manufacturers from adding it onto z370. It just means EVERY z390 board has it.

I would say either an asrock z370-extreme4 or asus z370-a will do you fine with an 8700k.

But that being said Id also probably recommend you amd as well. 2600x will do an about equally good job at gaming. Or go 2600 if you wanna oc it and save some buck. The upgrade path does seem truly amazing if only half of it is true.
Intel has something going for them still with their igpus (witch can be handy for gpu passthrew) and some other things that can be accelerated by the igpu. Otherwise, I would say amd all the way.
Ive upgraded my 4790k to a 2700x 2 months ago and I dont really regret it.

But you do you. They are both pretty great with ryzen having a more promising immidiate future ahead while getting along a bit better with the money purse.

thanks for the input! I would consider the new amd stuff if it came out sooner, but I will be upgrading before then most likely so I might as well get what ever is best at the time of purchase.

Contrary to many opinions here, thats a fantastic build and youā€™ll be very happy with it as-is. In the future you have space for another couple sticks of ram and storage expandability.

2070s are a great choice right now, nice pick!

@Grokas this is the current build. upgraded to 2080.https://pcpartpicker.com/list/c2W3QZ

1 Like

This is very similar to a build I did for a friend recently. Also a very solid platform. Nice :slight_smile:

1 Like

I always liked air over water.
I would shoot for the 2080. even if it meant a year with an ugly 20 dollar box, spinning rust and the stock cooler.
I am a minority on this view :slight_smile:

might as well pick up a Vega 7 or w/e since it should be a bit cheaper ($100) and close performance parity (have to wait on actual numbers etc) And if mining kicks up AMD > Nvidia for mining so flip for more profit probably.

1 Like

well fortunately i can afford to get it all in one swoop!

1 Like

its the same price and I will wait to see performance compared to 2080

1 Like

Ahh was thinking about 2080 FE MSRP ($100 more)

2 Likes

The Asus Maximus XI Hero boards will be fine for a 8700K.
I mean of course you could go with a Z370 board aswell.
But honnestlly the Z390 equilevent isnt probablly that much more expensive.
The 9900K could be worth it, if you do other things like video rendering,
or streaming.
But if not a 8700K or a i5-9600K would also be plenty for gaming at 1080p.
Depending a bit on the price difference between the i7-8700K and the i5-9600K.

I mean you could probablly allready pick a 9600K 6 core i5 for like $250,-.
And that will perform the same as the 8700K pretty much most games.
Hyper threading isnt probablly going to add you much in most games.
I mean compair gaming benchmarks an see how well the 9600K ,
actually competes with the 9900K in allot of games.
But yeah if the price difference isnt that big, then the 8700K might be a better deal in that perspective.
But then i would say only so with a RTX2080Ti.

1 Like