What do you think of this build?

hello everyone, I would like to know your thoughts on this build. it will be used for normal use and 1440p gaming(max settings high fps). I want to get the best performance and for the pc to last a long time without slowing down or needing to upgrade. I only will upgrade if i just want to spend money like on a new gpu in a few years. I don’t plan on overclocking unless it’s very noob friendly since I do not know anything about OC. I will try OC once I see performance slow down. I am willing to OC if it’s very easy for a first timer and wont take any life out of the cpu.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/zP4Qvn

Should I go AIO with 360mm rad? or stay with good air?

Should I have 4 ram sticks or 2?

Storage I just want a good cheap nvme(120-256gb) and I will buy a good cheap ssd large capacity(1-2tb). I already have a bunch of storage so I will only buy the nvme right away for OS. I want 1-2tb ssd when it gets a little cheaper.

Any other thoughts are greatly appreciated, thanks.

As it stands, the build is way too CPU/Mobo centric. For normal/gaming use, I’d step up the graphics card. Not sure what your monitor’s refresh rate is, but if you’re aiming for 144hz you won’t hit it on all max settings at 1440p for a lot of games.

I prefer good air cooling. The Noctua NH-D15 is a great pick, but also keep an eye out for the NH-D15S which is the same cooler but cheaper due to having 1 less fan. Performance isn’t too different either.

32GB of RAM isn’t really needed. IMO get 16GB which is plenty for games. Depends on your computer usage though, of course.

1 Like

Check out this, a more balanced build for $250 less and with higher gaming performance.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Jtr8q4

Two

Either is fine.

I think you should wait a little more before buying the gpu, since RTX is quite overpriced at the moment, and after the old Pascal cards become out of stock, the RTX’s prices might decrease.

For normal and gaming use i9 9900k is a bit overkill, as well as 32gb of ram - but it really depends on what you define as normal use. I think an i7 8th gen would be enough (though you might want to consider waiting a bit more for cpu as well, to see the future offerings).

1 Like

At least wait until CES is over

2560x1440 gaming… you are overspending a bit.

This is overspending a bit too:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor ($164.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus - Prime X470-Pro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($157.00 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($104.99 @ Newegg Business)
Storage: Samsung - 970 Evo 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($127.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung - 860 Evo 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($147.00 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card ($498.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1260.85
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-01-12 09:14 EST-0500

I am looking to build a new PC as well… I am waiting for Ryzen 3000 series to launch.

Just make sure you have a monitor that will be able to drive what you want to see. Honestly, I find it hard to notice much frame increases over 90 FPS unless the increase is absurd AND the display can display it.

The NZXT Bld is pretty decent for at least giving a ballpark FPS number

Also, if you just want ‘a good computer that will last a long time and not need any upgrades but a GPU replacement in a few years and another SSD’ then Ryzen will serve you very well and save you quite a lot of money. Additionally, the Zen 2 CPUs (Ryzen 3000 series) will be drop in replacements, like a GPU, with a BIOS update.

Summary of things I’d change:

• Change the CPU to an 8700k at the max, probably 8700 if you aren’t going to overclock (if you are going to stick with intel). The 9900k is just not necessary for most users
  • Unless you need that 10 gigabit networking, or plan on upgrading to 10 gigabit networking within the next year or so, then go with the Z390 Taichi, rather than the Ultimate. It will save you a good chunk of money, and it’s not like you can’t install a 10g addin card in the future (and it will likely be cheaper by then as well)
  • 32GB of RAM for gaming is just not necessary. 16GB is going to be plenty, and there’s 2 more DIMM slots so if you need to upgrade memory, you can just install another 16GB kit and be fine
  • Consider Ryzen 2600X/2700X and the ASRock X470 Fatal1ty ATX board. It will save you about $400-500 over your current parts list which you could put towards a 2080 instead, or save you a good chunk of money. As stated earlier, you can upgrade the CPU later with Zen 2 CPUs further down the road and really get some longevity out of your computer

thank you everyone for your suggestions! I do have a 1440p 165hz gsync monitor and would like to get as close as possibly to that.

cpu- I understand the 8700k is almost as good as the 9900k gaming wise but wouldn’t the 8700k performance slow down sooner than the 9900k time wise(years later).

mobo- I am willing to get another mobo and i don’t need the 10 gigabit. I do want the newest chipset and features though. I also would like an easy auto OC or something easy to OC cpu with once I notice a slow down in performance. recommendations?

ram- newer games will be requiring/recommending 16gb so I would like some head room with 32gb. thoughts?

gpu- with the money I save with other parts I may get a better gpu but i think they are over priced. I can get a 2070 for $425. thoughts?

If I were to go ryzen I would wait till the new cpus to come out, but that may be too late for me to wait. I would go 2700x if I had to choose now and both intel cpus are better in every way basically.

also added a case to the link.

I don’t believe Intel has improved IPC since Skylake (6000 series). What that means is that the clock speed (GHz) is the only difference in raw performance going from 6000-9000 series.

Gaming is not usually CPU bound. What games are you playing, or want to play, that are dependent on the CPU to hit a frame rate of 100+?

$165 for a 6 core/12 thread cpu clocked at 3.4 GHz with the option of oc’ing. At what point is the price tag of $400+ for an Intel CPU worth it? Are you going to get 50% more FPS?, 25%?, 10%? When is spending that extra money going to pay off? Ryzen’s speed is close to any current Intel offering in terms of architecture.

This is $40 cheaper than a 8700K:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2 GHz 6-Core Processor ($158.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock - B450M PRO4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill - Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $318.87
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-01-12 14:29 EST-0500

It’s going to take quite a while for most games yo really leverage more than 6 cores and 12 threads. The 8700k isn’t going to be holding you back at 1440p, nor is a Ryzen 2600x (1080p is a different story) and a 2080 ti will struggle to hit 165 fps at 1440p on most newer titles at max settings. Saying 16gb now and get another 16gb later is because RAM prices should be lower at that point when you do need it. AsRock and ASUS have good UEFIs for OCing your CPU and RAM, so you’re good there more or less.

$40 difference I would rather spend it on the 8700k for slightly better performance.

getting the better cpu is not only for gaming but longevity of performance 4+ years down the road.

Both CPUs have the same general architecture as Skylake, and thus improvements are only minor and incremental. The only meaningful difference is 2 core / 4 threads, so unless your normal workload heavily utilizes threads (i.e. you’re rendering, or otherwise producing content for money), it will be of no benefit to you. For regular consumer use and gaming, the performance difference will be minuscule, even late in the life span.

Most features are baked into the CPU - the motherboard is mostly there for I/O - if it has the ports you want, then it will be fine. One of the defining features of a Z-series chipset is the ability to overclock, and if you aren’t doing that, it becomes difficult to justify z-series. So unless things such as 10gig ethernet, or PCI-e expansion are top priorities (again, professional content creation comes to mind), then you will be wasting money on a chipset and features you will not use. As for auto OCing, my understanding is that a lot of motherboard manufacturer tend to disregard Intel spec, so the CPU will tend to run out of spec anyway (in effect OCing), especially in regards to TurboBoost (CPU’s will tend to stay in Boosted state indefinitely, so long as temps are in check, which violates TDP spec). I’m not familiar enough with all the platform SKUs to make a specific recommendation, but most any mid-tier Z370 should do you fine.

Staying ahead of the curve is the best way to throw away money - technology doesn’t always evolve in the way or the pace we want it to, so anticipating future needs is pointless. 16GB is plenty now, stick with it, and when you need more RAM, and throw it then, and it will likely be cheaper, saving money overall. I built my 2500K system with 8GB of RAM in like 2011/12 (which about where 16GB is now in terms of price/performance), and didn’t need to upgrade until 2018, so I got 5-6 years before I upgraded.

Again, I can’t comment specifically, but generally, in most cases, games are going to be GPU bound, even at the top of the GPU spectrum. If you had to spend the money, this is where you should, but you’re right, the returns diminish sharply in the high end. I think up to a 2080 / 1080Ti is justifiable if you’re targeting high framerate gaming at 1440p, but the 2070/1080 performance is a better value. Personally, I think it would better to pocket the money, or maybe save for a future upgrade; but like I said, a step up on the GPU from a 2070 is certainly justifiable if you’re really craving those higher-FPS numbers and have the money to spend.

Except for in frames per dollar. See previous comment in GPU. Ryzen is capable of hitting higher framerates in most games, but you’re right, Intel will higher rates, more consistently, while also costing disproportionately more. And as you increase resolution or graphic demand, you shift the bottleneck from CPU to GPU, and that reduces the performance gap between Ryzen and Intel. For you in particular, I do recommend Intel, but generally, Ryzen provides a better value, even with gaming as the sole consideration. Plus AMD supports their platforms for much longer, so it allows for an upgrade path.

1 Like

cpu- I am going back and fourth between 8700k/9900k. I feel like even though the 9900k is only slightly better I feel like it would last/perform better over a longer span of time(5+ years). am i wrong? if i get a cheaper case, mobo, and ram I can make up some of the money to get the 9900k.

mobo- i will try to overclock after I see a performance slow down/ late in the cpu life as long as its noob friendly/easy to oc. I am willing to get a cheaper one, but I do plan on overclocking later in the cpu lifespan. It seems like asrock z370 killer sli/ac or asrock z390 tachi…if i go z370 do i have to worry about compatibility for 9900k??? if so z390 may just be easier

ram- im not trying to stay ahead of the curve. for example the division 2 is coming out soon and the recommended specs is 16gb of ram for 1440p on high settings. So that makes me think i need 16gb for that game to get the best performance. Then I think I would like to have some head room if that game and similar games recommend 16gb for high setting/better performance. So then I would get 32gb and I understand 2 sticks would be better than 4 sticks.

gpu- i will be getting a 2080 now hopefully for $600(sale)…cheaper case and mobo will cover the cost

thanks everyone for the continuing suggestions!

Z370 won’t work with the 9th gen CPUs (or at least not officially). Hence why Z390 is a thing. An 8700k and Z370 though is more than a sufficient option. It is still going to be 3-5 years when we’ll start seeing mainstream games really start to be able to utilize more than 4c/8t on CPUs. Hence an 8700k is going to be relevant for a good long while. Also, the i7-2600k is only now, about 8 years later, really starting to show its age, and unless intel or AMD REALLY pull something out of their ass it is unlikely that the IPC improvements will continue improve all that much in the next 8 year (most likely will see power/efficiency improvements instead).

If a game recommends 16gb that doesn’t mean the game itself is going to use that much. It’ll likely use about 4-8gb if it’s recommending that much. And again, your motherboard will have 4 DIMM slots. Get a 2x8gb kit now and get another down the road when/if you actually do need it.

build updated with suggestions:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/rwynhy

1 Like

It is cheaper than the original, and has better gaming performance… and you added a case. Nice.

Ya I had a case originally but it got messed up somehow in the original link. I am still considering 9900k, z390, and rtx 2080, the price difference is $237.

I would go with the 8086k you still get close to the same performance of the 9900 with a bit of savings.

as for the video card, either bite the bullet and go with the 2080ti or play the waiting game,
buy an rtx 580 and bank back the savings for more options, but that may still be a while yet.

and keep the 32 gigs of memory. if you can, go lower latency.

no need to skimp when your trying to build the best, because at the rate tech is moving if you build second rate its only that much quicker before you want/need to upgrade.

cpu- im probably going 9900k or 8700k like the others suggested

gpu- I am not spend 2080ti money for 1 gpu. 2080 is the most ill spend

ram- i am doing 16gb like the other suggested because of the type of use i will be doing.

Yes, you’re wrong, and I just told you why; in fact, every section of my previous response could also be applied to the CPU. So, I’ll restate with less nuance - futureproofing in the realm of computer technology is a fool’s errand. If you don’t need it now, then don’t get it. If performance will continue to a paramount priority, you will save money and maintain a higher “average performance” in the long term by upgrading your platform periodically opposed to getting the best now, and upgrading less frequently. Besides, you’ll likely want to upgrade frequently anyway if high framerates continues to be a goal (as future CPUs will introduce a performance gap much larger than the gap between 9900k and 8700k), and that $160 price delta will be better used towards a GPU step-up.

Z370 is fully compatibly with 9900k. The caveat is Intel shoe-horned more cores than the platform was designed for, so power demands will spike; not a problem if CPUs run in spec, but they don’t (even out of box) so motherboards without overbuilt power delivery may “throttle” the 9900k Turbo due to VRM temps. Z390 and OC oriented Z370 boards are built to withstand that abuse and are less likely to “throttle”, otherwise, worse case on getting a cheap Z370 is your 9900K will run closer to in spec from Intel. So, technically fully compatible, and practically fully compatible with Z370 if it has overbuilt VRM (ergo my recommendation of mid-tier Z370, as they likely won’t skimp on VRM).

First off, publisher system requirements are misleading and inconsistent at best - But at the end of the day 8GB of RAM is all that is needed. The recommended 16GB is already accounting for headroom - there is no performance benefit from having additional capacity - the only affect RAM has on performance is when you run out of it. So again, 16GB is plenty, and if you do need more, it will be cheaper to throw more in down the road opposed to ponying up now for no benefit.
The amount of memory sticks only matters if you plan on OCing memory - in short, having two sticks my have more potential to be overlocked further than 4 sticks. But it’s also down to silicon lotto, so your CPU may not come with a great OCing IMC, so it might not matter anyway.

I can guarantee you that a 2080 over a 2070 will have far more impact than your CPU/Mobo/RAM upgrades that you’re struggling with. The CPU is a $160 delta, Mobo maybe a $50-$100ish delta (depending if you’re downgrading from Tiachi or Ultimate), and 16GB DDR4-2933 RAM will cut back $150-ish. So, you can safely add $360 to your GPU budget, bringing it up to $785, which should be enough for a decent RTX 2080

1 Like