What are you working on? -2015 Edition

Have a couple projects ongoing. First is to rebuild my NB Miata engine. I'm then drawing up concepts to create a cheap and portable exoskeleton arm thing. Yes, I was inspired by Deus Ex Adam Jensen blah blah. How badass would it be to effortlessly lift 100+ lbs with one arm?

A monster X99 rig. Hopefully I'll be done by the summer. Here are my planned specs to have by the end of the year:

i7 5820k (may be getting one soon)
X99-A (already have)
8gb DDR4 2666 CL 15
Enthoo Pro White
Corsair HX1000i
2x 380x
Samsung 850 evo 250gb m.2
2tb Toshiba
LG Blue Ray burner and writer
And openSUSE

I am going to start working on my first android app. It is going to be a pomodoro timer with the ability to track how much time you spend on specific types of work. It will let one create projects that are broken out into tasks. Then one is able to label these tasks with custom categories. I am still working on wire frames at the moment, but when I get them finished I am going to create a repository on github and open source the app.

I'll start on my personal assistent this week! Python and Scrapy will be the Tools. Have a lot of ideas, what I should do ⇒ This might become a very large project. We will see. :)

Working on my VMware lab, having some issues installing ESXi 5.5 Update 2 on my Z77 + 4770k, but it's coming :)
i'm gonna install a full VMware view enviroment with around 3 Windows 2012 servers and 2 appliances and then im gonna see how meny desktops i can have running on that 1 machine OC'ed ofc ;)

if i get more room i will buy 3 machines so i can have a better/bigger lab and try vSAN :)

other than that, im thinking about trying the 1 year with Linux, been using linux as secondary installation on my gaming pc and laptop for years now, but i dont use Linux anough, my main excuse is i can't play BF4 on Linux, but the last year i havent really played BF4 only Dota2 and that runs fine on Linux, so i should just get starting on a Linux only, running Windows 10 atm.

Best Regards Otto

many of things on my plate this year, "no order just listing"
1. making more content my website/channel
2. finish out my main computer rig configuration
3. re setup my test bench
4. get back to working on custom electronic/soldering
5. learn enough about linus to be able to use it
6. other stuff i can't think of.

no one knows what this year has instored.
i just have a feeling gaming will be a bit less on the plate
compared to the prior years

Sounds cool. Will it track stuff you're doing on your device or do you input what you've been doing off the device?

Interesting. May I have the URL to your website/channel?

You might look at http://dot.tk for domains. I was pleasantly surprised that they actually do give domains out for free, just switch them to CloudFlare DNS so you don't have to use their crappy DNS.

Just because .tk is shorter than .no-ip.biz or whatever

Also how do you like Kolab? I'm considering it

I wouldn't go with a .tk domain. I've had them swipe two of my domains before once they started getting higher traffic. Once they did that, they redirected it to some advertisement page.

You're much better off paying $5-$10 per year ($0.40-$0.80 per month) for a domain at https://www.namecheap.com/ or https://godaddy.com/ (or another of your preference).

I didn't end up setting up kolab because I don't quite have the domain I want for a business email. I used Tk but I misspelled it.

I will be setting up a jabber server soon

At its core the application is a pomodoro timer (You can learn about the pomodoro technique here). The application will allow you to enter in projects and their various subtasks. Then when you start the timer, you select a task your working on. I am also toying with the idea of a week view so you can organize what you want work on and when through out the coming week.

I only use .tk for when I need a domain to test something. I've got a domain that I bought with my little shared hosting package (I use it for my WordPress business site and my email, because I'm too lazy to run my own email server) and I use that + CloudFlare DNS for anything that I think has the potential to get a lot of traffic. DotTK is just kinda nice to try stuff because of how short the domain is lol

Just, whatever you do, don't buy anything (except maybe a domain, but use CloudFlare for DNS if you do) from Domain.com. Had 2 months of living nightmare with them before finally switching to BlueHost. (I swear I'm not getting paid to say that, I'm not even in BlueHost's affiliate program, I just love how easy they make everything and how much better they are than domain.com)

Sounds interesting. Can you send me a link to it when it's released?

Fair enough.

I usually get my domains from NameCheap, although their prices have gone up recently.

Well I have completed my desk :) here a few shots of it - cant get a front on because of how it is setup, but I think you will get the point.

2 Likes

I am loving that build. One question, where is your chair? Is it a gaming chair or just dining table chair? Comfort is of the utmost importance.

you can just see the seat haha - it is a DX Racer chair :)

Hey Everyone,
I am new to this thread. I a junior studying engineering, and for one of my classes we are tasked with developing a fairly basic android app.

My idea is for an app that sets a timer for the user depending on the type of tea the user selects as well as the strength the user says they want.

Anyone thing this an alright idea? Any further input (not technical more big picture)?

Thanks!

A youtube jukebox where you and your friends can build/share youtube music playlists.

A bigger web project.

Work. Building corporate software and websites.