What Are The Dangers of a Plant-Based or Vegetarian Diet?

I should definitely add, I do not advocate that everyone should eat only meat, or that people will respond in the same way. Eating meat works great for me (my previous diet which I was sick on was half vegetables and meat, so hardly what could be considered a junk diet). Having followed the various stories in the keto community for a while now, there is a HUGE variety of what people eventually settle on working the best for them. Some people find that nothing but meat works, others find they do best on mostly vegetables does it for them. Most seem to handle a more happy medium.

There is also definitely some sort of “High carb/low fat or Low carb/High fat, choose one. High carb/High fat will fuck you up” effect too.

The only thing I’m really rabidly against are grains and seed oils. I just want people to know that plants aren’t necessarily healthy and “safe” like they are marketed to be. It would actually be easier for me if plants were ok for me to eat (because I like some of them, and also from a self reliability standpoint), but everytime I try I feel myself going backwards in some way. :\

2 Likes

My dinners usually consist of 15% meat, and greens for the rest, my stomach doesnt like to much meat, neither does my energy levels.

I also have one day a week where i only eat greens, usually each tuesday, works great for me atleast

2 Likes

It’s an old movement
It died when Linda McCartney croaked in her 50’s and George Burns was still eating steak and smoking cigars, in his 90’s

1 person does not prove the rule, lots of others dont

1 Like

But studies and scientific papers are so boring, even the abstracts are often long winded. Old guy with a big ol cigar is just so much more entertaining :slight_smile:

Mostly if you had a plant based diet you would have a hard time keeping all your vitamin levels and protein in check, at least from my research

1 Like

I did it didn’t work for me.

I have taken up eating more organ meat since it is higher in micro nutrients and help utilize the whole animal.

I am looking at getting back into hunting and fishing to further control the quality and ethical standards to which my meat is acquired.

2 Likes

Fecal microbiota transplant? Nice. I think at one point people did tests on that on people with schizophrenia, and that got people to look a lot more at neurological diseases being a result of flora disregulation

2 Likes

Yeah. There were tests ingesting it via capsules orally and suppositories. Oral had a positive effect for a shorter time compared to rectally. A woman was on the radio a while back, she’d been suffering from IBS for 30+ years. She had chronic diarrhoea, which lead to mineral deficiency and dehydration. After a few weeks of oral treatment she no longer had diarrhea. She did however relapse after a couple of months. Then she did the rectal treatment, and she was doing fine months after. Was quite interesting to hear about.

1 Like

Interesting thread. I never went too deep into actual research on any diet. I’ve spend the last 10 years or so working on mine though, so here are some thoughts.

I started out when i peaked 140kg and needed to change something. Since “slow and steady” never worked for me, i went full ham and started with “Whole 30”. It’s basically Paleo but “hardcore” for 30 days.
Worked out well. It’s not sustainable ofc, but i lost some weight and felt better. After that, over a period of a year, old habbits came back. When i met my now wife, we did a Whole 30 cycle again, with great success.

After that we went Paleo for 2 years. Again, worked great for us. But at some point, i just couldn’t see any more eggs and red meat.

Now we are both on a “low meat” diet. My wife rarely eats meat at all, for me it’s mostly salami and such. Actual meat as a main meal is rare for us now. Maybe once or twice a month. And it has been for the past 3 years. It’s also not really a moral thing for us. We just don’t enjoy most meats. I do like a burger every now and then, but i really couldn’t care less for a steak or ribs.

So yeah, i’d say we are on the “soft vegetarian” side of things now. I personally think current production standards for meat are a Problem. I try to buy quality from a local butcher if we get meat. We try to cook a good variety of meals, but with two people working full time and now kids to take care of, cooking often falls a little short.

I have no idea if eating no/not much meat has any health benefits or detriments. I certainly don’t feel much worse than i did when i ate meat daily. I’m now down to 89kg from the 140 6 years back. So it’s working for me. I don’t hold it against anyone what they eat. I basically don’t care. And i also don’t care for any studies on food. In the past 20 or so years you can find studies proving any point you like. I go by how i feel. I get headaches when i eat lots of sugar or highly processed carbs (cake etc.). So i minimize eating those things. If some day i feel bad after eating some particular meat, or my health starts declining because of me not getting enough iron or such, i’ll look into where the problems are.
Until then, i eat what i like, work on balancing out nutrients a bit and listen to my body for the rest. I truly believe we are overthinking the whole food thing. If everyone would cook at home 90% of the time, a lot of health problems related to food would quickly go away.

2 Likes

So, after making your own thread and reading people’s experiences, are you ready to concede my point that going full vegan is not THE ONE TRUE WAY for everyone?

I’d go as far as to say, it is for no one. (opinion ahead. Have no scientific study to justify any of the following)
The Problem is always excessive use of anything. While many point out, that humans are omnivores and should eat meat, our modern society has made it incredibly easy to get anything and as much of it as we want.
And that’s also where a lot of Paleo and other diets in that direction miss the point. Yes, meat should be part of our diet. But not daily, as many Paleo diets suggest or, as many people nowadays eat anyways. Way back when we where cavemen, meat was a rather rare treat. You couldn’t keep it cool, getting it was dangerous and tedious. 3 or 4 men would probably burn a days worth of calory to get some meat. So, getting some meat once a week or even month was more the norm. We 100% didn’t consume meat daily in those times. Most of our Diet then would have been plant based. And even in modern times, i remember by Grandparents and their Parents eating meat maybe once or twice a week, because it was hella expensive.

So from my point of view: Try to get your basic caloric intake from a plant based diet. Get the basics from a higher quality foods and not too processed stuff. Whole grains etc. Try to add a bigger variety of Stuff on Top. Make one or two meals a week with something you haven’t tried yet. This will make sure you vary your diet a bit. And then, add meat once or twice a week. Try to invest the money you’d spend on daily meat to rather buy higher quality stuff once or twice.

No extreme diet is good. Being Vegetarian and eating chocoate all day isn’t healthy. Eating Burgers and Steaks every day isn’t either. The healthy approach should always be one of moderation and variety.
That’s what i think and try to do at least. I guess i’ll find out in 60 years if i’m right or not…

4 Likes

That wasn’t the point.

YOU SAID

I asked for sources and you provided a “let me Google that for you” link which provided tens of thousands of results. I read the first 10. The first link disproved exactly what you said. The next several were from the 60s and 70s. The next modern (within the last 15 years) article was about someone that didn’t breast feed their kid and instead gave them soy milk formula – Yes, I will concede, that’s fucking stupid. The other articles contradicted what you said or said “more research is needed to support these conclusions”.

I continued asking you for sources and you kept being pedantic, at one point nitpicking the actual words you were using rather than provide me with any evidence supporting your claims:

Then you came out with more nonsense without any links or citations backing it up:

AGAIN I asked for sources, which you pointedly ignored.

Sorry fam, I never once said “Going Vegan is the ONE TRUE WAY TO LIVE” – I asked you to back up your bullshit, which you still failed to do. I was willing to be chill about it, but the one thing that slaps my teeth in is when people post that LMGTFY bullshit. It doesn’t help and rarely does it contribute anything positive. In fact, in your case, it went against you in several situations, which you provided yet another cop out:

Completely disregarding the rest of the quote I linked from the article, and completely disregarding your own generalizations about people on a plant-based diet:

I don’t care what you eat. No, seriously, I don’t give a shit. I don’t care if you eat pork fat dipped in grasshoppers for all six meals. What I get my panties in a twist about is when people come at me with psychobabble rhetoric that has no bearing on reality.

2 Likes

The first link has written in the abstract that people got less weight and height…
And you still mention links for papers when you have people’s testimony on your thread? get real dude. The LetMeGoogleYou link gave you plenty of testimonies of people not dealing well with a strict vegan diet, you choose to click the link to ONLY google scholar articles because in your mind they are ABSOLUTE.
Sigh…there is no reasoning with you. You are religious on your beliefs.

Does anyone have a VeganGains gif asking for sources to every single fucking thing?

I mentioned links to papers that YOU LINKED. You provided me those links.

What about my testimony? What about my proof? Why do you get to use anecdotal personal testimony but I don’t? :thinking:

I went in sequential order, I did not pick and choose articles. Hence why I said “I clicked the first ten”.

LMFAO. Look in the mirror. You’ve still not provided me with any of your sources. If you want to go based on testimony, I’ve got 1,000s of world class athletes.

Better than Alex Jones screaming the sky is falling with no proof.

I have no religion, I use what works for me. Never once have I told you to go Vegan. I asked “show me the people that are sick and dying”. Which you’ve failed to do.

Ready to concede that not all of them are sick and dying?

Your words:

Never claimed “everyone”, so much so that your quote of mine doesn’t include the word “everyone”.
All of your arguing against me is based on strawman arguments and absolute statements i never made. I’m a Physicist by trade, i almost never make absolute statements.
GAME OVER dude

Sick and weak:

Strawman
Begging the Question
Appealing to Authority

These are you, fam. All day.