Wendell is it possible to flash 980ti bios onto Tesla M40?

I keep getting gpu mismatch. I’ve tried every version of nvflash that is supposed to have all the checks disabled but still no luck. They either don’t detect the gpu or give the mismatch error. I’m considering using a hex editor to change the pci device id and board id of the stock 980ti rom to match ids of the Tesla but I have no idea what offsets I should change.

Any ideas?

1 Like

flashrom can directly write to the SPI eeprom.
Though, that can go wrong as well.

1 Like

Thanks for the info. Will give it a try.

1 Like

May not be just an flashing endeavor…
Do check the pcb, in case any solder sub-components, need to be released / swapped / upsized / etc. They might have same bulk components, between the M40 and an 980Ti, but them smaller components can make/break, this little adventure

1 Like

980 ti has a different cut of the silicon with different amount of ram…

If anything you want titan X…

In the end it’s going to fail because you don’t have a Nvidia signature, if you force it on the chip, it will simply refuse to use the vbios

1 Like

Like the 690 where you could chance some resistors (or caps not sure) and have it report as a Tesla and 680.

@gnif might be a good shout

1 Like

The best anyone has been able to do is bios spoofing for the driver and it doesn’t really work on maxwell yet because nvidia got wise

1 Like

Good call on Titan X bios being the better choice.

1 Like

It does not unlock any of the extra shader units, etc… they are configured via blown eFuses at factory. Best you can hope to achieve is to make the driver think it’s a quadro which may give you some extra software features, but don’t expect too much.

They were resistors, and this was fixed post 6xx series after my article on how to do this.

4 Likes

I haven’t tried the my Tesla Registry hack with LG yet, might be something to look into

I don’t know if game software will get angry at the basic GPU not having real drivers so a 3 GPU system might be necessary (one GPU for host output, one GPU for Passthrough output, and the Tesla). The Tesla hack also bypasses the "no Nvidia GPU with display detected which was the wall last time from using Tesla with looking LG, might be worth a revisit on my part

Anything compute wise shouldn’t care about it being a Tesla vs quadro, blender will render using it but I don’t know about acceleration for others like adobe and cad

1 Like

I’m wanting for increased hashrate in daggerhashimoto. Tesla M40 gets 2.5 MH/s while 980ti gets 25MH/s. Same freaking chip.

No, once the eFuses are blown they are no longer the same chip. It has been crippled in hardware and there is zero you can do about it.

3 Likes

I would still like to fail as a result of that. Not just being blocked from trying. However I did manage to reset an efuse on my Galaxy Note 3 once.

Any ideas about where/what values need to be changed in the Titan X vbios to make it’s ids match the M40? I’m going to mod these cards or break them trying.

I had to use a very specific version of NVflash in order to get it to work, the binary was compiled for windows. Navigate to the structures that have both of the PCI Device ID and Subsystem ID, its right after some of the device strings iirc. 0x400 comes to mind but the padding between the structs differs between bioses. I left my lanyard of thumb drives at the office I’m working on site at, I’ll get the binary I used for you tomorrow.

You’ll need to do more than just the IDs though due to the ram differences.

Hell I’ll write a tool for doing it, just need the structures. I’ll sit down with a few friends and come up with something.

1 Like

Awesome! Thank you so much. :smiley:

I was able to flash my 980 classified with a customized kingp1n bios that had the power limit unlocked and base core and memory clocks bumped. I was able to use the maxwell bios tweaker off of the classified overclock forums, to edit, save and then the nvflash they provide on there to flash it. Card’s been working without a single crash since 2018

Thought this might help since your card appears to be Maxwell based

Yes I’ve used maxwellbiostweaker to mod bios to raise the core and boost and memory. Got an extra %25 performance from that.

But something else is restricting the card from performing at its true hashing potential which is why I want to take a step further with the bios from M6000 or Titan X or 980ti. (They are doing decent mining Grin but this is my new game and I want more and more daggerhashimoto. I only have 5 cards including the 2 M40s.)

1 Like

Ahh ok,

Well whatever you figure out I’d be interested to see if I could replicate it on my 980 Classified as well. I have a dual bios so there’s plenty of room to mess around

Right this was the specific version I used, other patched versions didnt seem to work for me.

nvflash64_patched_5.590.0