Gaming, on my Tesla, more likely than you think

I just thought I’d let you know here too just incase :slight_smile: thank you again soooo much this is awesome.

Everyone in this thread

7 Likes

YESSSSS…LOL so true.

I got automatic boost control working. No more setting the clocks via nvidia-smi.

…and onboard fan control…

…for the K40M…

Don’t know if I’m allowed to say how as it involves BIOS modding, but it dosent enable features it shouldnt so I guess it should be ok to discuss it here?

2 Likes

You can mod them, discuss about modding them but you can’t distribute them, you can tell other people how to do it though

2 Likes

Well TLDR I got pointed to this:

The Quadro K6000 shares the same silicon as the Tesla K40M, so I gave it a go. I modified the quadro bios to match my desired clocks and voltages that I normally use, along with the ID changes. Ran nvflash and… it works. As far as I can tell no one has done it on the K40M yet.

Everything works as you would expect it to, even the fan control. Just wire up a fan and you are hunky dory indeed.

I do not condone the use of quadro drivers on this setup.

You should be able to do this on any card that has very similar specifications, matching silicon and matching ram.

2 Likes

I’m getting a code 31 with a GT 740(kepler) and a M40, it seems it doesn’t like having the geforce and Tesla driver installed at the same time, only one will work at a time

1 Like

So you don’t actually flash the bios just spoof it, does this work on bare metal windows

1 Like

No I flashed it. If the card doesn’t have 3D enabled *& you want quadro features eg display spoofing you will need to flash it. The spoof is for when you pass the GPU through to a VM.

I’d recommend flashing the card anyway so you can set your desired clocks in Keplar bios tweaker and never have to set them manually with after burner and nvidia-smi.

iirc if you wanted the card to work on bare metal you would need to change the hardware, something along the lines of a few resistors that set the PCI ids. that way you could flash a stock quadro bios onto the card and it would show up just as a quadro on bare metal.

2 Likes

@GigaBusterEXE - lol

1 Like

I think the geforce driver isn’t working because it’s for kepler older and the Tesla is for maxwell, newer, I’m going to try and use a maxwell geforce driver on the kepler see if that helps

I might need the same gen or newer card for the drivers to play nice

1 Like

The tesla/geforce drivers are the same more or less. Both contain the PCI IDs for geforce and tesla cards. Thats why you are having issues.

1 Like

I can’t get the geforce driver to be accepted by the Tesla card because it’s newer than supported by the geforce driver
I think… I gotta get to work before it rains

1 Like

You could enable driver test signing in windows via the bcd, and remove the PCI ids from the driver inf file. that should get you working on separate drivers for both cards.

1 Like

Do you have a link for a guide how to do this, I kinda stumbled my way into making this Rube Goldberg Machine into working

1 Like

I was able to get my Nvidia Grid K2 card running on a standalone desktop -

Runs BF1 wonderful in Ultra, even with only utilizing one of the two GPU’s. Cooling is not so much an issue as the Tesla K40 - but still of concern.

Was just playing around before I put it in my esxi environment.

1 Like

Thank you for the tutorial, after getting the card (K40m) and following the guide, it worked (no OC yet, need that blower), only one question. I have an option to turn on ECC off. Will it make any difference for gaming, because it just feels odd for GPU.

1 Like

I have no idea honestly, I’ll try to test it in my spare time

2 Likes

Well… I looked at my Tesla M40 more closely…ummm this may be a problem lol…

And now I think I let the magic smoke out of the tesla… :frowning:
I double checked and the wiring… so the pins on the power supply… they were tight… it was because they didn’t match up right… I can smell it… You know the smell…UGHHHH

2 Likes

Being required to use your sense of smell when troubleshooting almost never turns out well… :smirk:

4 Likes