I don’t use chrome but never had any issue with chrome-like browsers on Wayland.
I never had any issues with Wayland at all even back in 2021 when I decided to try it for the first time with the Hikari window manager and on FreeBSD to boot. Hikari doesn’t exist anymore.
I don’t know if its because I’m on AMD graphics but it never failed me and always performed well.
So you had an Xe2 Battlemage GPU back in 2021 and didn’t have any issue loading vulkan and va-api at the same time? Lies.
Edit: The statement itself, that “Wayland worked perfectly.” is just wrong, it’s a perspective that just ignored the vast amount of data others present that says otherwise the “Except for when it doesn’t.” part is important people LIVE there it’s a real place with real things and real problems that will just never be fixed because broken is the way Wayland is supposed to be.
I know, that’s why your statement of “Wayland worked perfectly.” is just garbage and shouldn’t be uttered it adds nothing and is poisonous because it tries to paint over the ugliness.
Edit: I see that you did say ”I never had any issues with Wayland…”, I apologize if there is some subtle difference I’m not seeing.
Why say “I never had any issues with Wayland.” What do you think that adds to the conversation? There is only one thing you want me to do with that datapoint, accept wayland “works” as a fact. This, however, is just false on it’s face. So, unless you educate me on the hidden meaning of you bringing this up in conversation and maybe show what I missed about this statement helping anything. I’m left assuming it’s meant to just be toxic.
and you are wrong. You’ve had issues with wayland, you just lacked the skillz to recognize when wayland wasn’t working. So wayland only looks to the unobservant like it works, but in truth it doesn’t really work without issue “at this time.”
For example, session restore. Every time you upgrade your kernel all your windows re-open on a single workspace. On my system I’ve 12 workspaces and about 30 windows and they all open on the workspace in the location I left them. This is required functionality for me, and it’s not like this is just unimportant to you. Weather you always close windows or you just sort them on login, it’s a bug you silently work around.
There are others, I’m just not going to teach you how to properly validate the functionality of a DE. Truthfully I’m not an expert in this area either.
Edit: Having just one workspace is also a solution. Regardless of how you use your computer when you use wayland you are working without a functioning session restore. and this is by design!
For the record I’d love to see XSMP working on wayland and it’s not like I’d not help where I could to bring it to life. I’d for sure run wayland when it come out, for at least a week to make sure it meets my needs and celebrate with everyone on a job well done. Even if wayland was still unusable in other areas. Like user supplied panels don’t seem to function and this for me would be a hard blocker if I couldn’t hack something just to get by.
Same to you. It’s an ad-ho-minim where an argument or data should be. Am I wrong that your Wayland desktop does not have session restore and you didn’t consider that as part of your assessment into the viability of wayland. Am I wrong that it’s a feature that without the user must compensate in some way for it’s absence?
What I’m lacking is humility. I’m sure I’m right about this, it would be world view altering to learn that this is not the case. That’s where the arrogance comes from.
Did you think you were right? That the handful of people that report issues with wayland don’t have anything to do with you? That your computer runs the same code, encounters the same if statement, but instead of an issue your computer runs the same block of code and it succeds? That, you’ve just avoided all of the issues other report? That, wayland worked for you and never once did an issue grace your screen? No, the reality is that your wayland install has all the same issues as everyone elses’. When you say it worked, that’s more todo with your observations then with the operation of your computer.
There is no way you are not just making things up when you say “I never had any issues with Wayland. Thats an objective fact.” My statement I feel is on more solid footing and I’m asking if there is contrary evidence.
Yes, that reason is that its predecessor (NeXT) already did its own thing, and reusing/evolving that was more straightforward than starting again with X. Whether or not that was good depends on your viewpoint.
Furthermore, earlier versions of macOS did ship an X server but I guess not enough people used it, and so it was removed.
Instead of vewipoint, I think it’s one meta back into just how people define good. If good is the least work across all agents, then Wayland is a tone of work and it would be impossible to imagine refactoring Xorg “once” would have been more. So I think we can get to an objective is keeping with Wayland good, so long as we can agree on what good means.
I would have advised writing Weston and some apps and stopping development(research) there. Then go back to Xorg and figure out how to implement the new protocol.
Today I learned more about a known issue, it’s worse than I thought. It, all by itself, is an issue that I don’t find “worse than I thought” to be at all surprising. “Wayland does not work for you, no matter how much you jump up and down about it working.”
Wayland has critical known issues and Sebastian brings the issue to focus. Everyone else is talking about “desktop” global shortcuts, but Sebastian is convinced he knows anything about the topic at hand while talking about system level hotkeys, ctrl-alt-delete/Magic SysRq key… The Wayland community can’t figure out what the App developers are even taking about, but they are convinced they can track the conversation.
Whether or not that was good and why they did it are completely unrelated, it’s a category error. I was saying we could get to an objective morality, by first defining and then agreeing on a goal.