Wayland works perfectly, except for when it doesn't

You are not fighting fascism. Fascism is a political movement about nations, or simply government. AMD, NV, Intel, FDO: which one do you think is a government? It’s not like anyone of these is going to be responsible for rounding up groups of people and loading them onto trains.

IBM literally sold the computers used to round people up and put them on trains. Again, you can deliberately choose to be wrong, but let me make a request: how about you don’t?

And Colt made every man equal and Glock continued the trend. Blame the operator, not the person who made the computer.

I’ll have you know your comments are only deserving of sarcasm. I’m trying my best to honestly show exactly where you are wrong. Only people who are wrong discourage a reply, it’s the only way they have of ever being correct if nobody replies.

1 Like

IBM contracted with the Nazis specifically to tally the trains’ passengers, and manage the concentration camps.

I don’t want you to shut up. I want you to read a history book.

I believe in redemption.

I’m only half way through watching this video, but what it’s building too is so obvious I have no regrets. https://youtu.be/QhEHAlUzUh8

This is the story of Wayland and why .NET vb6’s compatibility layer is a direct analogy for XWayland and why some people will need a “more faithful” X11 server “indefinitely.” The compatibility layer is not vb6 and it simply never will be.

…

So what you are saying is that XOrg is a proprietary technology that got rugpulled by a megacorp?

Fascinating.

1 Like

You just love putting words in my mouth don’t you. I’m saying hardware manufacturers abandoning Xorg is worse than what MS did, history doesn’t repeat it’s self but it rhymes.

Watching the video it seems Visual Basic is being kept to support legacy business applications.

I don’t think we have too many graphical business applications on Linux and even if we have, the fact we can change the source code means people will adapt if needed.

I don’t even have XWayland on my system.

Wayland will probably go away and so will X when the last remaining BSD systems decide to migrate away from it. Eventually they will.

Umm, scientific applications should already have been discussed in this thread. Cern for example likely has X11 multi-window software that will not be updated to work on wayland, unless XWayland get abs window positioning.

Compatibility videos coming out left and right, it’s interesting to see the different “solutions” that get deployed.

Bringing security into a discussion of Wayland vs. X11 and trying to defend X11 in any way in that context is hilarious.

X11 security is so fundamentally and catastrophically broken; it’s probably one of the largest potential vectors for linux desktop malware that exist.

1 Like

CERN is more than capable of either maintaining legacy infrastructure or porting their applications over if they decide to do so. I don’t see that as an argument to keep legacy code for the rest of the world.

1 Like

It’s about the unnecessary friction that’s chosen by those whom the decision least effects, 10 people VS 1,000. Yes, Cern can maintain Xorg and they likely can get AMD and NV engineers when things don’t work right for there 20 year old GPU. It’s about the rest of us, the high school science lab… what do they do?

There is no such thing as unnecessary decision. A group of individuals created an alternative solution that got adopted by distributions. Its not like people are forbidden to create something different from Wayland too because you don’t need permission to way off from the current standard and do something people and organizations like.

That can be true and it still be true that Wayland doesn’t solve any of those issues. Yesterday I thought of a new attack vector, this one is good. I’ve been focused on how easy it is to get root, but actually it’s even easier to install a vulkan layer into the user’s home dir. These load every time a vulkan application loads vulkan and an app will not scrutinize the list of layers it loads. I’m sure the same is true for QT and GTK, all a hacker needs it write access to the users home dir and every application on a system will give in to be malwared. Using just that you can ICP out all the data needed to reconstruct the desktop and log keys.

Wayland offers no real security! It’s not a solution that would give pause to any attacker.

Back in the day lots of operating systems and software stuck on protocols and standards because these were required for US government contracts. Like Unix certification I suspect X11 might be one of those.

I’m happy things are not like that anyway and we can pursue new and better things.

Sorry, it was poor choice of words. What I meant was they didn’t have to switch git main to Wayland only, the same way I won’t switch to session type wayland.

I was chatting with Gemini today about chrome hardware video decoding and vulkan. It suggested wayland and I tried. I ran wayland and tried a few different cmdline options, but ran into the same issues of vulkan and egl having incompatible image formats and va-api needs egl formatted buffers.

I told Gemini about the immediate issues switching caused and the AI solution, Wayland will never do that you should use X11.