Water Cooling Ryzen 1700

Well I am contemplating water cooling system, however I may be running into issues. I do not really want to purchase another case. I have an Antec 900 gaming case ... http://store.antec.com/gaming-series/nine-hundred.html
If I can find a water cooler system it would have to be 120 mm fan for the back of the case. So since I have never done any water cooling, only air, oh yeah and a nitrogen on my old 1.4 t-bird, I was hoping to get some advice. What would you recommend? I would prefer a closed loop system as well. i currently get 3600 @ 40-45 degrees on my 1700, on the stock cooler supplied by AMD. So what is your advice?

Closed loop is best value imo

I have built hard tube loops and soft tube on like 3 systems now.

Uhm, raise multiplier?

ya and the heat goes up... hence water cooling.

Anything under 60°C is a joke. But ok.

120mm water cooling doesn't make a lot of sense. Get a big air cooler and call it a day.

3 Likes

any ideas what the temp is at 3700? its 70 degrees so lets get back to the topic about water cooling so i can kick up that multiplier.

Like I said, 120mm rad doesn't give you anything over a big air cooler.
So if you can't go bigger, don't watercool.

2 Likes

I got a 200mm fan on top but I am unsure if they make water cooler rads that size.
Has anyone here on the forums water cooled. Has anyone seen something that would work on the case for this am4?

Water cooling is hazardous and shouldn't be attempted, its also expensive and can lead to problems in the future. Closed loop or air only.

1 Like

I am getting 3.8 on my 1700 with stock, and I am on the asus prime b350 plus. Not the greatest MoBo, so you might just try a little harder to get the multiplier up.I am at around 60c so you might not want your temps that high.

Rads typically come in 2 sizes: 120mm and 240mm. I think GamersNexus has some good stuff on the AIOs, and jayz2cents does some good stuff on custom water cooling.

@Tex what's your voltage at? I haven't messed with the BCLK yet, but was having ram issues, and had to send it in for return. Hopefully my replacement is here tomorrow.

I have been researching this whole water cooling, and compared to a good air flow system, it seems a GOOD air cooling system is comparable, and like @noenken said the 120mm really do not do anything. A 200mm fan doesn't have enough pressure to push through the fins in a rad, although they do make 200mm rads.

this is pretty decent coverage

also i would suggest getting a new case or using a noctua dh 15

High FPI and a thick rad can compensate for size, but only so much also its harder to push air and will be louder.

I have it running at a .175 offset. I should also mention that I am using Arctic Silver thermal past instead of stock. Getting a decent thermal past is a must for getting the most out of your systems when OCing.

grizzly kryonaut is my go to if I care, otherwise whatever crap i have sitting around is what I use.

Not really a lot of difference between the higher end stuff, just don't use stock or the cheap shit. (I mean really the good stuff is only like $5 why not get some.)

Mx-4 Is prob one of the better value ones, you only shave a few degree C going with stuff that's almost double price.

Really the only reason I use arctic silver is because when I was first getting into PC building someone told me that this was the stuff I had to get. And I still have the tube, so I just keep using it. When It runs out I will most likely get something else.

If you have somewhat decent thermal paste (aka anything that isn't nutella or toothpaste) it doesn't get you a lot further to invest in better paste. Even stock pre-applied grey goo often does a better job than you might think.

So get a better cooler first and use the stuff it comes with. If it's horrible you can always change it out. For reuse later you will need new paste of course but until then....

Noctuas always come with pretty good thermal stuff, btw.
Yeah, I'm biased. I love their stuff.

1 Like