Wasabi Mango Zen U430 (43" 4k/60Hz/4:4:4 IPS @ ~$420)

Didn't know that. Good to know. I'll definitely report back on subpixel arrangement once I get my display in.

Well, it's BGR. Honestly, my system already has Clear Type calibrated so I don't notice anything out of place.

Hdmi 2.0 doesnt support 4k 60hz 10 bit 4:4:4 unfortunately. Highest 4:4:4 is 8bit. It can do 10 bit 4:2:0 but i dont know how bad that looks.

If u want 10 bit 4:4:4 4k 60hz u will need displayport which mean u have to buy the UHD version. 3ft or under to guarantee it.

@mb67: Thanks for confirming that the UHD430 is BGR. Was hoping differently but that's kinda what I expected.

Good info, looks like I'll just have to go 8 bit. Thanks!

1 Like

Ugh. The seller has contacted me informing me that he has sold out of this monitor even though I bought the first one and he listed 10 available in Pixel Perfect and another 10 with defective pixels. :-(

Oh man that is such a bummer. The listings have been totally taken down, too. On the one hand I wish I had nabbed one right away, on the other hand considering I first heard about the monitor from you I probably would have missed out as well :-(

I bet he moved you to the back of the line because you made a low-ish offer. That's the only thing I can think given that you said you got one of the first ones.

That sucks dude. Something weird has been going on with Korean panels lately.... massive price jumps on lots of models, the crossover 434k used to be under $800 and is now over $2k, same story with the UHD420 / UHD430 etc etc... here's hoping that it's all because new, superior, and cheaper models are coming.

The timing is right. According to my research the Mango UHD420 was introduced around 2015 August. Don't forget that Asus just introduced the first 4K 144hz screen. It was showed in Taiwain on the Computex expo.

http://www.144hzmonitors.com/monitors/asus-computex-2016-27-inch-4k-144hz-gaming-monitor/

144hz @ 4k should become more common in 2017. We finally have the processing power to start pushing 4K at these resolutions. The GTX 1080 will support DP 1.3 or 1.4 whatever the final specifications will be.

Yeah, I'm also bummed. He removed both listings (pixel perfect and flawed) in response to my conversations with him. I think he listed them prematurely before he ever got a single screen in stock. I asked if he'd send me a flawed one since that listing claimed that he had 9 in stock but he said he didn't realize he had a second listing and he removed it, too.

My theory is that we will soon see the next generation of 4k Korean screens and these Wasabi Mango Zen U400, U430, etc. models are just the quickest/cheapest way for them to profitably clear out inventory. Fortunately/unfortunately for me, I don't really care about anything higher than 60Hz. This is strictly for software development and database management. I just need a larger workspace at >30Hz with good viewing angles. Colors don't even have to be perfect, just good enough. Just needs to not be highly susceptible to burn in.

So yeah, totally bummed. The UHD430 is nearly perfect but the U430 has a much closer to perfect price tag. I really just wish I could get a UHD420 at the ~$500 point they used to go for and I'd be totally happy. All with a SquareTrade warranty, of course.

1 Like

I'm personally not that interested in refresh above 60 either. It's not that it doesn't make a difference, it does, it's just that I would rather have 4k, IPS, and maxed out graphics settings more than frames above 60. Even with a 1080 there's very few games you will get above 60 fps on with graphics maxed out at 4k. Compared to the difference between IPS and TN (haven't seen VA so I can't comment) it's no contest.

I had the same theory. It turns out to be partly wrong though: the U400 has nothing to do with the UHD400. The UHD400 = RGB, the U400 = BGR! So there goes my theory...

About 120 vs 60hz:

1 Like

Oh really? That's interesting, for sure!!

Btw, I noticed that a second seller now has two listings for the U430, both with a quantity of 10. I bet it's the same seller, just with a different account to avoid honoring my $420 amount he agreed to. :-/

If you buy this for gaming, it matters even if you can't push more frames. Your fewer frames (under 60) will on average look much better with a higher refresh rate.

Do you think you'll go for the crossover coco402ut? Seems to be the cheapest option...

Doubt it. I'm looking for an IPS panel. That one is some kind of VA, right?

I'm kind of mad at myself for not getting a second UHD430 monitor before they stopped selling them. I suppose that I /could/ get a Zen U430, but the two different types of bezels would drive my slight OCD into a tizzy. :-P

Yeah, and I'm kicking myself right now for not getting a UHD430 to begin with. I really want to buy right now and not wait but I really want IPS. :-(

2 Likes

Honestly, it wouldn't be a bad thing to get the Zen U430. Also, it's cheaper than the UHD430.

I've been trying! ;-)

UPDATE: I ended up purchasing a Crossover 405k monitor. I'm no longer pursuing a U430.

1 Like

It is, yeah. It just seemed like color reproduction wasn't super important to you so I thought you might go that route.

4k IPS is pretty tough right at the moment, unless you're ok with the 32" crossover or with spending right around $800. But you can get the coco402 for $440 or the u400 for $400.

1 Like

I can buy the UHD430 now for about $750-800. Some listings as high as 900 US. Is that not rather high for the UHD430? Seems like a lot to me. Has anyone found some conclusive numbers on the input lag of the u430?

edit: i am considering buying a bgr monitor and flip it 180 degrees, so it becomes rgb. :D