Wasabi Mango Zen U430 (43" 4k/60Hz/4:4:4 IPS @ ~$420)

So I saw the Wasabi Mango Zen U430 just appeared on eBay with just one seller (I'm sure that'll change soon). Specs from the listing:

Based on the price and specs, I went ahead and bit. My primary use case is for development/productivity (not graphics) so I need neither amazing input lag nor perfect colors but instead I need IPS (to prevent viewing angle problems), 4:4:4 @4k/60Hz and multiple inputs (switching back and forth between desktop and laptop). Lack of DisplayPort is clearly non-ideal but is fixed with a couple Club3d adapters. I'm crossing my fingers that it has no burn-in issues.

I'll post reactions when I get the display in. Sadly I have no fancy color-tuning or input-lag testing equipment so you'll have to deal with my primitive tests via the various web page tools.

Side note:
If anybody else decides to buy this, I did the "Make an Offer" on the Pixel Perfect listing (priced at $520) - my offer was $420 and it was immediately accepted (as in via automation, not a human reacting to the bid). I now wish I would have started even lower, so if you're looking to buy this, start lower than $420 on the pixel perfect!

2 Likes

I'm curious to see how you like it- I just recently bought the WM UHD 430 version and so far I really like it. I am very glad I got this version as the Display Port is the only connection that my GTX 980Ti seems to like: I've tried 3 different HDMI 2.0 cables and they all don't work in the corresponding HDMI 2.0 port on the monitor.

I'm hoping it's the same panel as the UHD430, just with a different board. I don't really care about freesync and as long as the Club3d adapters work for me, I expect to be a very happy guy!

I only have a GTX750 for now but it should be fine as it has a DP1.2 port for a Club3d adapter. I'm waiting to see how the 480 vs 1070 war plays out before I replace my card. Given that any gaming I do is fairly casual and I really only care about productivity uses, I'm not worried at all about gfx power for now.

On a side note, the UHD430 seems to be impossible to buy all of a sudden. Seems that a month ago it was being sold by half a dozen sellers and they just all disappeared a few days after you bought yours. Based on the timing of that and this release, I'm really hoping it's the same panel. If so, then I'll consider $420 a steal even if others are able to grab it for cheaper!

1 Like

Found some more info on the Wasabi Mango site. Once translated, it confirms that it's an IPS panel and also lists it as Flicker-Free w/ 10-bit color. Sadly, I think (although I could be wrong) one of the photos show a permanently-attached power cord instead of a standard PC power cord - this is always disappointing.

@Jaxidian - Cool that you have ordered this monitor! I wonder if its a BGR like the UHD 430.

This is pure speculation on my part, but I think that the Korean manufacturers are flushing out their stock of panels as they are preparing for the next generation. It seems that the ZEN line is the cheapest way to make a decent monitor. Perhaps we will see new models soon. Makes for some great deals for sure.

@iBurger: Does the UHD430 definitely have BGR pixels? Seems that most UHD displays do (so that's what I'm currently expecting with the U430 since I fully expect this to have an identical panel to the UHD430) but I couldn't find a definite confirmation for the UHD430.

I'm sure crossover and other brands will come out with similar models very soon.

Very curious what the input lag on this will be.... hoping for under 20ms like the crossover 434k.

Good point @Jaxidian. I don't have it in black and white that is a BGR. However, the UHD 420 is a BGR as can be read here. And the Phillips 43" (BDM4350UC) is also a BGR model, and also has an IPS panel.

I think "IPS" in 42 or 43 inch translates in BGR at the moment.

Maybe @mb67 can tell us if the UHD430 is RGB or BGR?

I'll have to try and test for that tonight when I get home from work (I work 6 days/week noon-midnight).

I think that I found a way to test for it, by doing this:

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/subpixel.php

Do you happen to live in an area where someone from the forums could test the input lag once it arrives? Since you said you lack the gear to do yourself.

@mb67: Thanks! The easy way is to just take a close up and in focus picture of white (firing up Notepad should work). It might be beneficial to have text on screen to help focus in on it. Use the Macro setting if you have a camera or phone with such an option.

Not sure. I'm in northern Indianapolis. I can do some tests to compare it to my 27" 1440p Acers (K272HUL) so maybe if that screen is a known quantity, we can deduce it from that. My wife does have a Nikon DSLR so I do have the photography stuff but it's just the reference point that I lack.

Best reference is a CRT :-) barring that, comparing to a known value should be OK I guess? I'm not savvy enough to say for certain.

I definitely have no CRT to compare to. According to this French article, my Acers (link) have a 40ms input lag. I don't know how reliable that number is, though. And for my productivity purposes, I'm perfectly fine with that (as in I can't notice it at all).

I hope btw. its a RGB folks. Would be nice to have a 43" inch monitor. :)

I too hope it's RGB but I think I can survive with BGR if I must. But crossing my fingers that I'll be surprised! :-)

I can't switch away from OSX anymore. I'm too happy to run this setup.

@iBurger: OSX can't handle BGR? :-/

Yes. Dell had to pull some BGR monitors from the shelves because Mac people were complaining. Apparently, Mac OS X doesn't handle BGR well.