Wasabi Mango UHD400 40" 4k VA

Hmm, interesting. The UHD430 is cool to the touch...

Here's a video demonstrating the popping noises this monitors speakers make for me. Super annoying. My phone doesn't pick up the humming the speakers make constantly after they pop.

https://vid.me/KYUJ

Updated to latest firmware which was dated sometime in May made no difference. Mine forgets "Picture Bypass" setting every time it turns on or comes out of sleep. I keep it on to bypass all processing.

And here are some pictures showing the misaligned panel in relation to the bezel. Based on the other 2 people who have this same issue, it appears like a manufacturing compromise or something. (Note: I never remove the plastic on the screen or bezel until I'm 100% sure it's a keeper)

http://imgur.com/a/KVgxc

The popping noises alone are reason enough for the seller to accept a return but he's sending this stuff to Wasabi Mango to give me trouble shooting instructions. How do they want me to trouble shoot a misaligned panel. I'm not opening this thing up to disconnect the speakers either. Just want to send it back already.

I know, this is a really trivial matter but the one thing that bugs me about my UHD430 is the logo on the bezel being off-center from the separate stand that I bought for it. Now to be fair, it might be the stand's positioning in relation to the logo, but my ex imparted her brand of OCD on me so it's one of the first things I see. :-P

I plan on removing that logo once I get my review stuff together but until I do, it's glaring right at me lol:-P

1 Like

Crazy stuff!

Still a nice monitor though. Thanks for the report. :)

Did you ever test the input lag of the UHD400 against a crt?

Here are the comparison photos. Picked out a few just to get some variation + a Dell U2713HM comparison too.
As I don't play action games often, this seems fine to me. Other things nag me much more than lag :|

>>> import numpy
>>> 66-15
>>> 432-383
>>> 800-749
>>> 166-116
>>> 700-649
>>> a = [51,49,51,50,51]
>>> numpy.mean(a)

Really cool post Jann. I have a Dell u2713hm too. And this is a good panel because it's a nice IPS with no PMW. Yet at 30 ms it's already rather slow. The 50ms is a surprise to me. Is this normal for this class of monitors? There are no settings you can mess with to get this number down?

@jann: what other things do you find annoying? I was this close to buying the UHD400 until I read your post.

First and biggest flaw for me - PWM. Advertised as flicker free, while it is in fact NOT. This can actually be seen in some videos online, where the brightness isn't 100%.
Then there's the calibration resetting. Each time the monitor is turned off or goes to sleep, I have to go into menu and turn Color Bypass on and off again for it to jump back to calibrated settings. Otherwise it shows the default blueish colors.
For graphics work, the VA panel type isn't good. I did expect that to some degree, but just putting it where my 27 1440p was standing, I get color shifts from the panel being too close. After mounting it some 10-15cm farther, this isn't as bad anymore, but still nowhere near IPS quality.
If possible, will test more of the bypass options comparing to that crt, but default input lag might worry some people. I don't play shooters that much, so doesn't bother me yet.
Depending on the price, distance to screen, and application, it's still good if pwm doesn't bother you.

So there is really no 40 inch monitor without flaws. They all suck in some way. Nice. :D

PWM is definitely a deal breaker to me. I have had poor quality LCD screens in the past and didn't like them. The Dell u2713hm is pretty good in this regard. I think I would hate the screen, if it had PWM. Since I also need an RGB screen for the Mac, I think the only serious alternative I have is the AHM A409, but this one also has issues. (something with the aspect ratio, I recall). I guess I have to wait it out. Hopefully @Wendel will have time to take a look at the market, in Q3-Q4 of 2016.

@gmoney: what are you doing? Is there any screen you still like?

Seems like the 42-43inch panels are doing better if you can handle that size :)

@Jann: Thanks for the reply: I don't mind the size. We are already talking about a crazy big monitor here. Unfortunately, all the 43 inch monitors I have seen are IPS BGR, which make them useless for the Mac.

I feel a bit stupid spending so much time in researching these Korean panels, only to realize all of them aren't good. Damn you windows people. :-)

This summer is bad, last summer was great ! I have AMH 399 and 409 and they are fantastic; unfortunately, this years crop is not that amazing ~!
This is really too bad, these screens are productivity assets and super gaming, when you get a good one, or the productions are made with left overs from previous runs..........(IMO)

Yeah, I just wish last summer's models were available this summer. UHD420 or those AMH models.

1 Like

@gmoney:

You have to be sadistic to turn 40 inch monitors vertically/portrait. Or a Giraffe.

I start to realize you are right about this. I rotated my Dell 27 inch screen 90 degrees and my neck already hurts.

Imagine you'd do this with a 40 inch screen...

With a large, deep desk, it's pretty awesome having 3 of these side-by-side in portrait mode.

You are talking about a really deep desk. At least 70cm away from yourself. My eyesight is really good and with my 27" screen at 130 ppi, 50-60cm away feels about right. The point im trying to make is; yes you can buy a 40" 4k screen and twist it vertically, but to be able to see the the top and bottom, you need to push it further back, which reduces the amount of pixels you can see clearly.

What matters, I guess...
- distance away from the monitor
- the dpi of the screen.
- your eye sight
- field of vision.

And probably some other things.

edit: this is just a really long way to say, what @gmoney was saying before: ie. you gotta be a giraffe.

It seems you can rotate you screen 180 degrees to get RGB again. So maybe the 43 inch models are they way to go. Thanks for pointing me towards them, @jann.

Some people also like their TV monitors, like the U400 and the Cocot402ut. So bad there is not a really good candidate at 40 inch. (60hz, display port, rgb, no serious inpu lag, no pwm, matte display).

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/peripherals/f/3529/t/19541142

Ok, here is my experience/mini review and some observations I made after 1.5 days of usage. I will mainly be covering monitor/calibration settings and latency test using various options.

I brought the Wasabi Mango UHD400 from AccessoriesWhole exactly last week, and it took till the end of the 5th business day before it arrived at my doorstep in Perth, Australia. I brought the Pixel Perfect listing, though my monitor has 4+ defective pixels and about 1 or 2 dead pixels as you can see in a picture above. I’m not going to complain about it in this review, but just a warning that you may get defective pixels even if you purchase the pixel perfect option. (Save yourself some cash and get the normal listing)

The monitor itself was configured in English out of the box and my GPU (ASUS Nvidia Geforce GTX 680) did not list the 60Hz option when ran in 4K and ran the latest firmware (Real4K0222VS).

I had to create a custom resolution profile to force the panel to run in 60Hz. It also supports YCbCr444 colour format, the actual 4:4:4 Chroma subset which is great.

The panel out of the box has one of the worse calibrations I’ve seen in any monitor. The picture modes that came with the panels are trash and the whitepoint has a very blue/green tint colour, even at 6500K setting mode. The good news is the panel is actually very decent to use after calibration, it has roughly 100% sRGB gamut coverage (my one measured at 98.3%), which is nice. Most good panels these days are 100% sRGB, so it’s nothing to be impressed with. It has 68% Adobe RGB gamut coverage, which is pretty average with the other panels in today’s market. (Though you can’t really expect a TV 4K panel to have more than 100% sRGB)

(Calibration done by DisplayCAL 3.1.4.0 and X-Rite Colorimeter)

Monitor settings:
Brightness: 100
Contrast: 75
Saturation: 60
Hue: 50
Gamma: 2.2
Aspect Ratio: 1:1
DCR: Off
Color Bypass: Off
Picture Bypass: Off
Noise Reduction: Off
Super Resolution: Off
Color Temperature: User
Red: 100
Green: 76
Blue: 68
Response Time: Off
Freesync: Off (I don’t have AMD GPU)

HTML measurement report output:

http://puu.sh/qkXsB/0d7d159dae.html

Calibration files:

http://puu.sh/qkWX6/98cad31e5c.zip

(I recommend installing it using DisplayCAL, as it handles installing ICM a lot better than Windows does and also use my monitor settings if you do)

I should note that if you have a colorimeter it is better to calibrate it yourself, as every panel is different (colour wise).

Also, I will post a new calibration after a month or two of usage. As the colour of a panel changes over time.

Interesting observations when calibrating:

Monitor by default is set to at 50 Saturation, however at 50 Saturation you actually lose some Gamut Coverage.

98.3% sRGB vs 94.2% sRGB

At 60 Saturation, the colours look closer to my IPS panel and pops out a bit more. Though it does not have the colour clarity of an IPS panel, but however has no IPS glow (though my panel has a bit of backlight bleeding, but nothing too serious to even notice) and blacks look way darker as the contrast ratio is impressively high as it is a VA panel.

Latency wise, with all image processing turned off and response time turned off. It’s about 16ms slower than my TN Panel (TN panel is about 16-17ms slower than a CRT). So you’re looking at a latency of about 30-40ms compared to a CRT panel.

With response time enabled, the results are way worse than with it off:

33ms and 18ms.

With response time enabled, you suffer from more severe ghosting and is far more noticeable than initially:

With response time ON:

With response time OFF:

Wasabi Mango UHD400 notes/issues & weird quirks:

Monitor’s metal frame where the logo is located gets very hot.

Panel is semi-glossy, not true matte.

Picture bypass just turns off Noise Reduction and Super Resolution. (Greys them out) Leaving them all off is best if you’re not upscaling.

Colour bypass turns off Whitepoint Color tab, I do not recommend you turning it on. Better to let the monitor handle Whitepoint as it’s more accurate than using your GPU.

Image picture processing doesn’t impact latency, at least with the 20+ photos I have taken using various different settings.

Response Time enabled can impact latency, making it slower at times and causing visible ghosting. (Useless feature, DO NOT USE).

Need to increase Saturation to get more gamut coverage.

Really bad colour calibration out of the factory.

It is not flicker free, it has PWM, though I use 100% brightness so I don’t really notice it.

350cd/m^2 is BS, after calibration using those above settings, at best it’s 195cd/m^2 (hence why I use 100 brightness, at least it’s flicker free, amirite? xD). It’s about 300cd/m^2 with default whitepoint colour settings with 100% brightness.

Final thoughts and conclusion:

Overall, I’m quite happy with the Wasabi Mango UHD400. The build quality is a lot higher than I expected and the panel after proper colour calibration is quite the joy to the eyes. Though with only 1.5-2 days of usage, I cannot say much more other than what I have done tested so far with the monitor. I will however say, it’s a great monitor at this price point, but please do keep in mind with the issues I described above before making your purchase.

I know this isn’t a full review of the monitor, but however I do hope I helped out a few people with this mini review.

My final setup:

If you have any questions regarding the monitor, feel free to ask them and I will try my best to reply.

4 Likes

Thanks for the great update! I'm sure that it will help a lot of people with purchasing this panel. :-)

Also, it gives me some ideas on calibrating my Wasabi Mango UHD 430.