Want to leave Windows behind, please help me get FFXIV running

Hello there,

so, I’ve been trying to get this running on and off for a while now, but I can’t figure out what’s wrong. I’ve been playng FFXIV for a long time now and don’t intend to quit, but I also wanted to use Linux for a while.

Got a new PC, so I thought it would be a good time to tackle this. To avoid headaches my first thought was using Lutris’ Standalone DXVK version, but this isn’t going so well.

I’m currently running Fedora 28 (it didn’t give me an update to 29 yet), and just updated everything as far as I could. Using a Vega64 in case that’s relevant regarding drivers.

When I first tried it, I got the same 404 error in the patcher that a few others got over on the Lutris page. There was apparently a solution to this, but it didn’t work for me (needed to be installed in EN and then link the settings path manually).
Since this didn’t work, I let it sit for a while and just now tried again. Problem now: Not even the launcher is coming up, and there is no error message.

I install from the website (left everything at default), it goes through the Lutris set up, setting up WINE and whatnot, then asks me to start the game. When I do so, it says “playing FFXIV” in the status bar, it updates the launcher (as it does on Windows), and it then supposed to launch the launcher. But this isn’t happening, instead after half a minute or so it just says “Game has quit” without any hint of what’s going on.

Inside “View last game’s log” I have at least this:

wine: cannot find L"C:\\windows\\system32\\winemenubuilder.exe"
ATTENTION: default value of option mesa_glthread overridden by environment.

But this isn’t helping me all that much either.
Since it was a message about mesa though, I tried running another game (GuildWars 2) and this is doing just fine, so I’m not sure if that message is even relevant.

Regarding the winemenubuilder:

[tarulia@localhost system32]$ ls /home/tarulia/Games/final-fantasy-xiv-a-realm-reborn/drive_c/windows/system32 | grep wine
api-ms-win-rtcore-ntuser-winevent-l1-1-0.dll
winealsa.drv
wineboot.exe
winebrowser.exe
winecfg.exe
wineconsole.exe
wined3d.dll
winedbg.exe
winedevice.exe
winefile.exe
winegstreamer.dll
winejoystick.drv
winemapi.dll
winemenubuilder.exe
winemine.exe
winemsibuilder.exe
wineoss.drv
winepath.exe
wineps.drv
winepulse.drv
winevulkan.dll
winex11.drv

So, as you can see it is actually there (though it is green in the terminal, I couldn’t find what it means?) and I don’t know why it wouldn’t find it.

I’m a little stomped about what’s going on, any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

green means executable file.

1 Like

Thanks for that, makes sense :smiley:

1 Like

do you have an update on this? stil need help?

1 Like

I tried to get it working a while ago, was a main reason my main rig isn’t running linux. I haven’t tried for a while, but someone on Reddit seems to have made progress

yes definitely (went away after writing the post and just came back).

I think I also tried a manual install back when I first tried it, but I’ll take a look at that over the weekend

Don’t have a lot of time currently for real-life reasons, so sorry if I can’t answer or try one of your solutions immediately, but I’ll look at them whenever I get the time :wink:

1 Like

I’ve had it working with minor fixes for a long time with the lutris script.

The only thing I needed to fix was the path to the executable and change some settings in some config files, specifically the webbrowser and cinematic setting. With that it works with no issues using dxvk. I’ll see if I can find the settings I changed.

BrowserType 2
CutsceneMovieOpening 1

in FFXIV_BOOT.cfg

1 Like

I was somewhat hopeful this would be possible without installing the custom MESA driver, seeing as it is on Lutris without any hint on it and it also working for some people… it’s odd :confused:

Yes, those are in the Lutris script now too (also in the above Reddit guide)

One thing I forgot to mention is that when I first tried it, I also checked those config files and it seemed as if they were being deleted between the Lutris-installer and the actual Launcher, but I then edited them manually and it didn’t work either :frowning:

If it helps, I am on the most recent mesa and mesa-vulkan drivers (running on RX580) that are recommended for steam proton, using the ppa they have available on their setup page for it.

I have never tried the DX9 version, only the DX11 version, so it is the only one I know to work easily (more or less) out of the box with the Lutris script.

Used this as a guide to solve the issues with the launcher when I installed with lutris:

I am running the DX11 version (isn’t the DX9 version getting dumped with future patch anyway?).

That is linked in one of the comments, but unfortunately didn’t work for me.
However, at this point I’d be happy to even get the 404 error, since right now it isn’t starting at all :frowning:

Hmmmm, then I am at a loss, never seen this particular problem before with FFXIV… :confused:

Have you tried just running it in steam?

1 Like

I have seen it work in ubuntu 16.04 at a lan a whilexago. Someone got it working, I bet you can.

1 Like

So, just got some time again…

Before throwing everything over board now I went and checked whether those settings were actually present, and indeed they are both.
Though the guide on reddit says:

Loading the launcher will make a config file in Documents (Your Linux one), My Games/FINAL FANTASY XIV - A Realm Reborn

Do they actually mean ~/Documents/My Games/FINAL FANTASY XIV - A Realm Reborn/ or in the virtual C drive of Lutris? I would think they are in the virtual C-drive since it’s a custom prefix? This is also where my files are (created by Lutris).

So since that didn’t work (and I could retry it anytime), I went ahead and deleted the install from disk and library in Lutris.

I wanted to start fresh with manual install…

1. Downloaded the installer (see adress in the Lutris script).
  2. Manually add a game -> name, runner WINE, runner options Wine Version WineHQ Staging 4.1, Enable DXVK (version 0.90) -> Save – note: I used a newer version because I thought even though there are the occasional regressions, they should be fixed by now as that release is way ahead and the Reddit guide is almost a year old
  3. right-click new game -> Run EXE inside WINE prefix -> ffxivsetup.exe
  4. nothing happens… not even the folder is created in the games folder where it was before… and the last games log is the same as before

soooo, trying with POL then as suggested by the reddit thread.

1. Download ffxivsetup.exe (see link in Lutris script)
  2. Open POL -> Tools -> Manage WINE versions -> Install 4.1 staging
  3. Install a program -> Install a non-listed program
  4. new virtual drive -> name -> another version of wine -> 4.1-staging -> 64bit -> directx_Jun2010_redist.exe -> DXSETUP.exe -> no other shortcut
  5. run the new DXSETUP shortcut -> install -> internal error and quits…

Running ffxivsetup directly without first installing DirectX starts the installer with “a new version of directx is required”, accepting that tries to install DirectX but fails…

Also just took another look at the reddit thread, problem with this is that it’s for Ubuntu, and I don’t know the equivalent Fedora commands for the package manager, especially adding the key and whatnot.

However, I already had WINE installed from earlier tries, using this:

https://wiki.winehq.org/Fedora

And it is already installed as per this:

[tarulia@localhost ~]$ wine --version
wine-4.0 (Staging)

The next part in the reddit guide would be installing the oibaf PPA and the graphics drivers, but I would expect that won’t work on Fedora :slight_smile: Is this even needed anymore?

On another note, I thought Lutris was bringing its own WINE anyway, and so I wouldn’t need a systemwide one?

so yeah, this was almost 2 hours and I’m no further :frowning:

I don’t have Steam installed, but I am using the standalone (non-steam) version of the game. I can try installing Steam manually and adding it via Proton, but this is a whole new project right there too :confused:

Thanks for the encouraging words, I really do hope so.

1 Like

I thought fedora was one of the more supported distros for this? it’s it as easy as dnf install steam?

and then making sure you have up to date drivers?

1 Like

I haven’t looked at that to be honest (since it’s not an official suport or whatever), gonna try that though when I get the time this evening or tomorrow

Okay so what I did to get it installed was just to go through steam and I used this YouTube video guide to get it working.

There is a script you need to run as well the link is in the description of the YouTube video. Tho as someone in the comments of that video pointed out you may need to add a # in front of “export LD_LIBRARY_PATH” in the script.

Other then that the game runs pretty well only down side is I am having some kind of weird audio bug from time to time but opening the menu and closing it helps solving it for some reason.

As long as you have the latest radeon drivers and mesa 18+ you should be okay, at least as far as I know.

Or nvidia drivers. Or maybe their’s a specific one. You can also use winetricks to edit the prefix steam creates. It makes another prefix for every install, so careful with that ssd space.

So I just tried this:

[tarulia@localhost ~]$ sudo dnf install steam
[sudo] password for tarulia: 
Fedora 28 - x86_64 - Updates                                                                                  13 MB/s |  29 MB     00:02    
WineHQ packages                                                                                               12 MB/s |  11 MB     00:00    
Failed to synchronize cache for repo 'home_strycore', disabling.
Last metadata expiration check: 0:00:00 ago on Tue 19 Feb 2019 17:17:24 CET.
No match for argument: steam
Error: Unable to find a match
[tarulia@localhost ~]$ 

On Valve’s Wiki it says to enable the RPMFusion Repos, doesn’t say which ones (probably nonfree) so I just enabled both and now it’s working.

I already enabled SteamPlay/Proton for non-supported titles, but how do I add XIV now? Since I don’t have an installed game I can’t add the executable to the library…

I’ll try listing what I have found (using various commands I happened to find):

[tarulia@localhost ~]$ lspci -k | grep -EA3 'VGA|3D|Display'
0b:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Vega 10 XL/XT [Radeon RX Vega 56/64] (rev c1)
        Subsystem: Sapphire Technology Limited Device e37f
        Kernel driver in use: amdgpu
        Kernel modules: amdgpu
[tarulia@localhost ~]$ uname -r
4.20.8-100.fc28.x86_64
[tarulia@localhost ~]$ glxinfo | grep -i vendor
server glx vendor string: SGI
client glx vendor string: Mesa Project and SGI
    Vendor: X.Org (0x1002)
OpenGL vendor string: X.Org
[tarulia@localhost ~]$ dnf list installed | grep mesa*
kf5-kiconthemes.x86_64                 5.54.0-1.fc28                   @updates 
kf5-messagelib.x86_64                  18.08.3-2.fc28                  @updates 
libkdegames.x86_64                     18.04.3-1.fc28                  @updates 
lohit-assamese-fonts.noarch            2.91.5-3.fc28                   @anaconda
mesa-dri-drivers.i686                  18.0.5-4.fc28                   @updates 
mesa-dri-drivers.x86_64                18.0.5-4.fc28                   @updates 
mesa-filesystem.i686                   18.0.5-4.fc28                   @updates 
mesa-filesystem.x86_64                 18.0.5-4.fc28                   @updates 
mesa-libEGL.i686                       18.0.5-4.fc28                   @updates 
mesa-libEGL.x86_64                     18.0.5-4.fc28                   @updates 
mesa-libGL.i686                        18.0.5-4.fc28                   @updates 
mesa-libGL.x86_64                      18.0.5-4.fc28                   @updates 
mesa-libGLU.x86_64                     9.0.0-14.fc28                   @anaconda
mesa-libOSMesa.i686                    18.0.5-4.fc28                   @updates 
mesa-libOSMesa.x86_64                  18.0.5-4.fc28                   @updates 
mesa-libOpenCL.x86_64                  18.0.5-4.fc28                   @updates 
mesa-libgbm.i686                       18.0.5-4.fc28                   @updates 
mesa-libgbm.x86_64                     18.0.5-4.fc28                   @updates 
mesa-libglapi.i686                     18.0.5-4.fc28                   @updates 
mesa-libglapi.x86_64                   18.0.5-4.fc28                   @updates 
mesa-libxatracker.x86_64               18.0.5-4.fc28                   @updates 
mesa-vulkan-drivers.i686               18.0.5-4.fc28                   @updates 
mesa-vulkan-drivers.x86_64             18.0.5-4.fc28                   @updates 
wine-times-new-roman-fonts.noarch      4.0-1.fc28                      @updates 

So from what I see this should be reasonably up-to-date…

By the way, just for the sake of trying it out, I also tried using the standalone DX9 Install from Lutris, and that one won’t even find the game executable (the script points to the wrong path since the DX9 version is 32bit only):

Game executable not found in /home/tarulia/Games/final-fantasy-xiv-a-realm-reborn/drive_c/Program Files/SquareEnix/FINAL FANTASY XIV - A Realm Reborn/boot/ffxivboot.exe

weirdly enough the install script points to the (x86) path in windows, so not sure what’s up with that… But I don’t want the DX9 version anyway :thinking:

Currently trying out WINE 3.2 since that was suggested in the Reddit thread (I just wanna see if it works with a know-to-work version).