VLOG: Linux Gaming Experiments Update: Manjaro as a Gaming OS?

I’m not sure I agree the future will be like that, maybe I’m just wrong but I don’t see it.

There’s a lot of work put into containerization atm, look at Red Hat and other companies for example what they’re investing in.

With projects like Looking Glass and other stuff enthusiasts and industries are developing, doors are open towards to that direction.

1 Like

To reach that goal you have to pass some checkpoints. No getting around that, no option to leave one out. Virtualization is one of those.

So all you’re accomplishing is being the annoying child in the backseat, asking the parents “Why are we not there yet?”. And the answer is always the same. “Because we’re not.”

2 Likes

… You’re the second person to call me names, that doesn’t accomplish anything. Also virtualization isn’t one of those. I do not believe the Linux desktop is in so many shambles that virtualization is required, sorry I have a bit more faith in the platform than that. Not to mention a lot of the Linux community also does not see the need for virtualization. I believe you guys are in the minority here.

Does it matter what you believe? It doesn’t invalidate the use-case of anyone who is virtualizing Windows so they can use a Linux desktop without any real interruption. There’s no other solution to play certain games or run certain software, so your “belief” is irrelevant in the face of how myself (and others) need to use our computers. You can “believe” all you want - it doesn’t change the fact that there is no other better alternative for some use cases, and there’s certainly nothing wrong with that.

1 Like

I don’t think anyone is reading anything I’m saying…I have said how many times. “I understand some people need Windows” and “I understand not everyone can can run Linux exclusively” however I still don’t believe it’s required as a step for wide spread Linux adoption. I understand its use for pro software and stuff but for gaming I think native ports and improvements to proton are the real solution.

Well, you’re wrong. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

1 Like

Nice argument…you are too… therefore one of us is right. I guess time will tell which one.

There are no native ports for many things, and proton does’t work with many things, therefore it is a part of the solution.

1 Like

…again not reading. I said more native ports and improvements to proton. The current situation is not static.

Since geforceNow streaming is free, why aren’t people interested in porting this app to linux with wine?

Why not just use OBS? It’s free, open source, works with all cards, and runs Linux native. Also that’s not the kind of software you can use wine with. I’m going to guess it probably talks directly to the Nvidia driver on Windows which doesn’t exist in wine.

What do you mean by virtual desktop?

Ahh, sorry I completely misunderstood you. When you said streaming I thought of live streaming not game streaming. OBS has nothing like that, there’s no real game stream provider with Linux support currently(that I’m aware of). It’s possible stadia will be an option in the future but for right now I don’t think there’s any options.

So, the reason nobody is porting this, and in turn advancing linux gaming, is because it is not that well known? BTW, Nvidia might use docker instead of multiple windows vms though. That seems more resource efficient.

If I’m being honest with you I don’t know how many people are actually interested in cloud gaming. I personally don’t have an interest, I want to own the games and I want them running on my computer. That’s just me though, I feel like if it were really that amazing then people would already have it working but I get the feeling that not even a whole lot of windows users use it in comparison to the number of windows gamers and so it just wouldn’t be a priority. I’m just speculating though and all of this is my opinion.