Virt Machine Manager Connection Failure!

Okay this is new. "Error apply changes: ‘NoneType’ object has no attribute ‘rfind’

Error apply changes: ‘NoneType’ object has no attribute ‘rfind’

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/details.py", line 1887, in config_apply
    ret = self.config_overview_apply()
  File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/details.py", line 1979, in config_overview_apply
    self.vm.rename_domain(self.widget("overview-name").get_text())
  File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/domain.py", line 596, in rename_domain
    new_nvram, old_nvram = self._copy_nvram_file(new_name)
  File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/domain.py", line 571, in _copy_nvram_file
nvram_dir = os.path.dirname(old_nvram.path)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/posixpath.py", line 122, in dirname
i = p.rfind('/') + 1
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'rfind'

not really, you just throw clover on it and make sure your ovmf resolution is set

are you editing with virsh edit

Gui

Edit: Fixed it. Not sure what the issue was, just hit cancel and it cleared it out. Must have hit something it didn’t like

Finally installing the OS (without pci attached). Lets see how this goes.

Well I added the pci devices and the computer hasn’t reset or acted funny. But it doesn’t appear to be picking up the devices.

I remember reading that you can hide your machines vm status. Should that be something I consider?

did you check your iommu groups and stub the devices in vfio-pci

Actually yeah this time I did remember to check. Interesting thing to note: I also get the 12% problem when I have this pci device enabled

dmesg | grep -i vfio
[    1.712068] vfio_pci: add [1002:687f[ffff:ffff]] class 0x000000/00000000
[    1.732063] vfio_pci: add [1002:aaf8[ffff:ffff]] class 0x000000/00000000

lspci -nnv

c:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Vega 10 XT [Radeon RX Vega 64] [1002:687f] (rev c3) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
Subsystem: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Vega 10 XT [Radeon RX Vega 64] [1002:0b36]
Flags: fast devsel, IRQ 42
Memory at e0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]
Memory at f0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=2M]
I/O ports at c000 [size=256]
Memory at f7800000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=512K]
Expansion ROM at f7880000 [disabled] [size=128K]
Capabilities: [48] Vendor Specific Information: Len=08 <?>
Capabilities: [50] Power Management version 3
Capabilities: [64] Express Legacy Endpoint, MSI 00
Capabilities: [a0] MSI: Enable- Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit+
Capabilities: [100] Vendor Specific Information: ID=0001 Rev=1 Len=010 <?>
Capabilities: [150] Advanced Error Reporting
Capabilities: [200] #15
Capabilities: [270] #19
Capabilities: [2a0] Access Control Services
Capabilities: [2b0] Address Translation Service (ATS)
Capabilities: [2c0] Page Request Interface (PRI)
Capabilities: [2d0] Process Address Space ID (PASID)
Capabilities: [320] Latency Tolerance Reporting
Kernel driver in use: vfio-pci
Kernel modules: amdgpu

0c:00.1 Audio device [0403]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Device [1002:aaf8]
Subsystem: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Device [1002:aaf8]
Flags: fast devsel, IRQ 95
Memory at f78a0000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
Capabilities: [48] Vendor Specific Information: Len=08 <?>
Capabilities: [50] Power Management version 3
Capabilities: [64] Express Endpoint, MSI 00
Capabilities: [a0] MSI: Enable- Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit+
Capabilities: [100] Vendor Specific Information: ID=0001 Rev=1 Len=010 <?>
Capabilities: [150] Advanced Error Reporting
Capabilities: [2a0] Access Control Services
Kernel driver in use: vfio-pci
Kernel modules: snd_hda_intel

12% constant problem

Should also mention the 12% problem only appears after I added these lines with virsh edit win10 + a pci-e device:

<cpu mode='host-model' check='partial'>
    <model fallback='allow'/>
    <feature policy='disable' name='hypervisor'/>
  </cpu>
  <kvm>
    <hidden state='on'/>
  </kvm>

Other than that it appears to work fine. If I remove the lines above Windows 10 doesn’t appear to recognize a gpu plugged into it.

shouldn’t need hidden mode for amd gpus

ask around over here for optimizations and troubleshooting:

Have you checked task manager to make sure the cores/threads came through? On pop os it was making like 4 CPUs instead one one 4 core CPU.

The pop os guide I did will work pretty well and I recommend the hugepages change for a good speed bump. Let us know what you end up changing or improving and I’ll add it to the guides here.

honestly I suspect it might be the reset bug, though you shouldnt expect output on the qxl device anyway

Wait… are you ‘THE’ @wendell?

Also…

a

2 Likes

what was the issue

So in case anyone see’s this I want to give a special shout out to @tkoham and @imhigh.today. As well as a shoutout to the discord group @tkoham pointed me too. As much as I wish it, I doubt I would have figured out some of these issues so quickly without there helps.

A brief bit of info about my setup: I’m using a mixed gpu environment:

Ubuntu host is Nvidia 1070
Windows Guest is AMD Vega56

I opted for the AMD Vega56 because I heard it was overall more reliable. I had attempted it before with a 1070 and a 1050ti. But, and this is my personal experience, performance of the windows vm was so spotty that I eventually switched to an AMD Vega56.

So far, I’m proud to report that performance is very stable. Some tweaks will need to be made to improve responsiveness of the system, some things to low slowly or hang. But the overall stability is what I really wanted :slight_smile:

However this isn’t where the story ends. As I mentioned, @tkoham pointed me to a discord server. They were incredibly helpful and quickly diagnosed the problem - a reboot issue with Vega56 gpu’s. Where the Windows 10 vm will not respond after the very first initial boot into Windows 10 vm.

I do not know why this is, this is just a fact. However I personally prefer this over Error43 in Nvidia. However your mileage may very. A number of users over on The Passthrough Post discord channel seem t use NVidia exclusively. So your mileage may very.

To anyone reading this and using an AMD RXxxx or AMD Vega56/64 gpu I encourage you to check out this post on level1techs. It describes a fix for the reboot issue in Windows 10. And so far it seems to work fine after several reboots.

For those of you who end up running a mixed environment like me I hope you find this helpful.

This is Jeff, signing off for the night.

2 Likes

well, some amd gpus work flawlessly, Others, not so much.

glad you found a fix man, don’t forget to mark the post solved.

@tkoham

Sure thing.

1 Like

So was that actually Wendel?

yeah he drops in from time to time

1 Like

Cool!