VFIO - Can't get GPU to output on VM power on, only after Ubuntu Live "CD" boots

I’m in the process of updating Wendells tutorial (Ubuntu 17.04 -- VFIO PCIe Passthrough & Kernel Update (4.14-rc1)) for GPU passthrough for Elementary OS 5.0 Juno, but i am at dead end.

Secondary GPU (Nvidia 450 GTS) won’t output any video when VM starts up, but if i add Ubuntu ISO, it will start outputing video, when it loads its Live preview (desktop). So i guess Ubuntu will reset/reinit it somehow and make it work, but i need GPU to be working on boot, so i can install frikin windows :smiley:

Any idea what could be wrong?

found some mailinglist (?) conversation online with someone having issues with 680 and 450 as well… it just refuses to init the GPU on VM start :frowning:

maybe i should get newer card to try it out

What settings are you currently using for you VM?

What does your VM XML look like?

Did you change the VM settings so that KVM won’t tell the guest system it is a virtual machine? With NVIDIA cards you have to do that

i did and it should output something even without that being set.

The 450 may not have an EFI BIOS, so that could be a component to it.

Another issue could be that you didn’t hide the kvm extensions. If you’ve got proprietary drivers on there, you’re going to not get output from the GPU because of that.

most probably the bios, thats why it does not initialize properly when VM is started, but only Ubuntu is able to reinit it after booting. Code 43 happens only when you install driver and i did hide its VM in config

related to bios: https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=178409.0

also maybe found solution?

will try tomorrow

1 Like

wouldn’t get your hopes up, the card has to be borderline on support for shimming or cross flashing to work, and seabios isn’t well documented any longer.

a 450 isn’t going to offer much in the way of 3d acceleration, so if you’re on an intel platform, maybe look at gvt to share the igpu instead

1 Like