Very-very quiet mic with any distro

Hello everyone,

I’ve been distrohopping for some time now to find my beloved one, but with anything I tried (Debian, Ubuntu, Open Suse, now Fedora) I’ve encountered the same issue: my microphone is too quiet.
I maxed out every level I could find, but still can barely hear myself when recording through Discord, Web-Based messangers (Firefox 68) and Telegram.
Sample from Gnome Sound Recorder:
https://instaud.io/3YCr
My headset is Asus Strix DSP, it ships with a USB sound adapter, all settings on it are also maxed out.
Issue does not persist with Windows.

Hi -

Have you tried installing Gnome-alsamixer?

That one did the trick for me to access impedance gain for my Xonar U7 in Linux Mint.

Thank you for your answer, but it appears Gnome-alsamixer was not packaged for Fedora 30.
Nevermind, there is a TUI alsamixer utility buit-in, and the mic input is maxed out there:
Any other thoughts?

Also, make sure the Mic Gain make sense. I’ve had time the default gain levels for the first time discovered devices are so low they barely pick up anything at full volume.

Also, make sure the input channel isn’t muted, but from the TUI screenshot, it looks like that channel isn’t muted.

I am looking for gain settings right now and have no success. Could you please guide me?

@Bitals,
It is sort of dependent on the audio hardware/driver if it allow you to control the gain. It should look like another ‘slider’ in alsamixer but labels xxx GAIN. Also, make sure you are controller the proper device too. In alsamixer, use ‘F6’ to make sure you controlling the proper audio device. It is also nice to see a list of all of the detected devices too.

Looks like I get no gain settings from the driver.

@Bitals
I find it odd that your card/chip is PulseAudio. It looks like you may be trying to interface the audio channels a layer up in the audio stack. Are you using to audio input working on you onboard audio or the Strix DSP headset?

Strix DSP. I also find it strange, but do not see ant way to redirect the path.
pavucontrol:

What happens when you try to set the levels in alsamixer on the Strix DSP?

They aren’t there:
(ignore the +50db level, it’s a leftover from a workaround by Arch community, didn’t work for me, already deleted, will go away after reboot)/

Analog Stereo for a headset mic? That’s a bit odd. Usually headset mics are analog/digital mono. I’m wondering if you are having some device detection issues.

I’d reboot. I have a feeling you usb-audio driver detection is a bit off right now. I’ve had issues like this is the past with other usb-audio drives going a bit wonky especially after quick disconnects/reconnects. Not sure if that is your case.

It haven’t been disconnected for several weeks now, and I have this issue on multiple distributions. Rebooted about dozen times for past couple of days, while I have some time to spend on it. But it is about a year since I noticed this behaviour.

Fuck that thing! Sell it, get some headphones and a USB-mic.

Looking at the product support page I see this is not a driver-less headset in Windows (alas HyperX ones), usually you’ll have more success when the headset doesn’t even require a driver on Windows.

Now I see that this headset allows Firmware upgrades and that you even require to upgrade it before installing the new software in Windows:

2016/02/24135.84 KBytes

MCU-V1.16 for STRIX DSP
1.Add sidetone function
2.Please follow the upgrade steps:
a.Please make sure to switch to 8 channel mode before upgrade
b.Please upgrade firmware to 0208 first
c.Upgrade to MCU 1.16 version

Version 0307 beta Beta Version 2018/03/07
1.23 MBytes

XonarStrixDsp_FWupdate
Improve no device found problem

Have you tried performing those firmware upgrades in Windows and then see how it goes in Linux?

PS: My experience with Asus sound cards (my very own Xonar U7) was so bad that I haven’t bought another Asus audio related product, because they usually drop driver development on Windows so fast that isn’t even funny. Now I only get HyperX headsets, rock solid :grin:

1 Like

This is why I usually buy simple 2.0 headsets when using Linux. Most of the surround sound headsets emulation in headsets, is often driver witchery. That doesn’t often work well since there is most likely no defined spec for these drivers for capable opensource drivers/firmwares that can be integrated into the kernel.
These are what I use: USB Gaming Headset-SADES A60/OMG Computer Over Ear Stereo Heaphones with Microphone Noise Isolating Volume Control LED Light (Black+White) for PC & MAC https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01A73ZIL0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_ERKnDb3K41QCW
They are dirt cheap, compatible with everything, comfortable, and the audio reproduction is pretty good.

I’ve never installed a driver for it in Windows, and it didn’t seem to do it by itself (always worked right away after the install, no “Installing device” window or anything), so I came to thinking it’s completely driverless, heh. It is also completely recognized in Linux, as screenshots above show.
Will try updating, thank you.
Software 7.1 in this headset is pretty good, it is switchable easily, comfortable for long periods of time and the sound location is pretty accurate in mmofps games like CS:GO, which I like, and in films with good audio line. And it was a gift. So I would like to fix problems with this one rather than buying other simplier headset.

@Bitals,
I would try playing the headset’s firmwares. See which one works best for you.

I’m curious to know if you finally manage to make it work.

1 Like