Valve announces the Steam Deck

Yeah, it’s happening…

4 Likes

You can get a unix timestamp of your order from the store page, so it would seem that your allocation is based on when you got your confirmation email not when you put the reservation into your basket.

That sucks. I got my reservation in about 10~ish seconds after the page went live in the UK but didn’t get it paid for more than an hour because of the “Working” message you receive during the payment process.

So if you only got your order in about an hour or two ago expect Q2/3 2022 delivery dates unless there is a massive retraction of reserves made.

The most exciting thing about this announcement is not the device, but the Proton games compatibility announcement. Anti-Cheat is the number one reason for not using linux for gaming, for instance.

I’m a windows guy, but in a year or more this may mean the death of the gaming argument in favor of windows?

Edit: not banking on Valve taking this to the finish line but on the linux community to iron out the wrinkles, if Valve can 3/4 way there

1 Like

Wine has been 3/4 of the way there for nearly 30 years.

The thing is cool, I’m just not expecting it to take out windows for gaming.

The specs look great overall. The one thing that I wish that is had was USB4/Thunderbolt. I’m sure the built-in RDNA2 graphics will be very good for a battery-powered device. I just wish I had the option to dock it and have a desktop-grade GPU when wanted a bit more oomf. I never pre-order, but if I could have an eGPU…

1 Like

Now i am truly torn. I was set to update one of my gadgets once this GPU madness stops. Now I am unsure maybe instead of a laptop, get the top of the line model Deck and plug in a TKL or a compact mechanical keyboard?

1 Like

Get a laptop.

The deck is a switch competitor.

2 Likes

So I put in a reservation for the 256GB variant, it’s only $5, and it’s refundable if it turns out to be crap.

Not a fan of this new reservation model, but ya gotta pay to play.

1 Like

The small fee probably prevents a whole bunch of people “preordering”.

I put my €4 on the 256GB model.

2 Likes

It’s already pushed out to Q2/Q3 2022 :confused:

Not sure if this is fiscal or calendar.

Its probably testing for actual interest to see how much should they make in its first run.

I really hope so.

Don’t pay the $5.00 now and pay the scalpers $1750.00 later. Your call!

6 Likes

Unfortunately, this is the sad truth.

3 Likes

Well, I’d rather the $5.

This thing is gonna make a wild cyberdeck; can’t wait to get some fun tools loaded on this thing.

3 Likes

If all else fails it is probably a mean retroarch machine

3 Likes

Steam cyber deck w/ rtl-sdr :smiling_imp:

3 Likes

I think Valve might be on a road to a hiding, if it advertises Windows exclusives running via Proton on the deck.
Sure, at the moment, people don’t get too pissed when titles stop working without notice, but I don’t think that will fly on a consumer device…

2 Likes

I reserved mine a few hours after it came available and had no issues. The expected availability is your expected availability, which is based on region and place in que. Mine is Q1 2022, which isn’t confirmation of anything ofc, it might still slip. The very early birds did not get an estimation and I suppose that means they will get theirs at launch in december.
The SOC is AMD Van Gogh which is brand new, Zen 2 + RDNA 2 and LPDDR5, I assume this an updated, low power version of the SOC the new ps and xbox are based on, as AMD also said there are multiple products shipping with that hardware in the future.
It will be interesting to see what kind of operating system they will make, how they will handle updates, what their software store is going to be like etc. Ofc we know you can use it as a desktop as well which is great for setting up games that are not on steam, emulators etc.
I am also excited about the boost proton development is getting for this, will be nice to finally play some of the EAC titles that otherwise work really well.

Anyway we are going to have so many more linux gamers soon and that’s really cool. I hope everything goes well and it will have a ripple effect outside of the steam deck as well in breaking stigmas and promoting linux as a viable option for gaming, which it already has been for years. Much excite.

2 Likes

I’m sorry ,what?