Valve announces the Steam Deck

Valve announces the “Steam Deck” a Linux handheld device running SteamOS.

20 Likes

Oh my god it’s happening.

On Steam Deck, your games run on a different operating system than the one on your desktop PC. It’s a new version of SteamOS, built with Steam Deck in mind and optimized for a handheld gaming experience. It comes with Proton, a compatibility layer that makes it possible to run your games without any porting work needed from developers. For Deck, we’re vastly improving Proton’s game compatibility and support for anti-cheat solutions by working directly with the vendors. “Hold on to your butts!”

7 Likes

Woah.

Speeds and Feeds
Compute
Processor
AMD APU
CPU: Zen 2 4c/8t, 2.4-3.5GHz (up to 448 GFlops FP32)
GPU: 8 RDNA 2 CUs, 1.0-1.6GHz (up to 1.6 TFlops FP32)
APU power: 4-15W
RAM
16 GB LPDDR5 RAM (5500 MT/s)
Storage
64 GB eMMC (PCIe Gen 2 x1)
256 GB NVMe SSD (PCIe Gen 3 x4)
512 GB high-speed NVMe SSD (PCIe Gen 3 x4)
All models include high-speed microSD card slot

So this looks like a monster. It’s a custom CPU for sure, because there’s no 4 core 8 cu sku available to the masses.

Wait, that’s RDNA2? This thing is wild!

DDR5? Bros, I am excite.

19 Likes

Yeah, a friend of mine was just asking if they could hook up a VR headset to it. At first I’m like “probably not”, but now I’m wondering, maybe? That’d be pretty nifty if it worked.

Definitely custom wafer, but likely well-influenced from the Ryzen 4000 series

SteamOS 3.0 (Arch-based)

BTW

MFW

10 Likes

Can’t wait for gamers Nexus to UnScrew and DeGlue it, I want to see it’s guts

5 Likes

I am legit excited for this! A gaming PC inside the near form factor of a Nintendo Switch? Yes please! … also, by reading the FAQ and specs, it’s entirely possible to install whatever OS you like on it.

5 Likes

I’m excited to set it up as a defcon machine.

1 Like

11 Likes

I have ergonomic concerns but have to wait and see/feel.

5 Likes

wonder if they’re gonna be repair/mod friendly so i can save $150 and throw in my own 512GB nvme drive.

also, hoping the ram is upgradeable (but considering the form factor, not super hopeful)

it’d make a hell of a laptop/portable pc for general use as well.
Throw a kickstand on the back and get a bluetooth kb/mouse combo

2 Likes

i wonder if distro conversion will be allowed/easy.
i doubt Valve would put a locked bootloader on it.

They mentioned you can install whatever you like over the top, even Windows.

Definitely not.

Maybe. Probably wifi form factor… Whatever you call that…

1 Like

Woah yeah. For some reason last night I had confused myself into thinking it was 2c/4t that gonna rip. I can’t wait.

@DavieDavieDavie yeah I was reapply impressed by the Aya Neo but only saw it after the clear ones were sold out and that what I am interested in the normal one was a but too much for me.

But this is perfect I so want one. Yeah the any OS thing sounds good and IR will be an actual Linux PC I would use regularly.

@oO.o I hope they got all that worked out with the Steam Controller. I am used to it now but it does seem to lack support for the little finger. The Deck looks good though the sides extend down to the tips of the grips.

@d0rk I was thinking the exact same thing but they only ever mention that the SD is user replaceable. It sounds like the main storage is permenant, they only mention that itnis fas NVMe, not that its M.2 at all. But I don’t know for sure. I would not expect the ram at all to be upgradable it is 16gb (gddr5) LPDDR5 shared system and graphics memory. That will be soldered on the board and any other ram you add would be much slower.

1 Like

Just looking at the video, the thumb reach looks long/awkward. I have repetitive stress pain in my right thumb from smart phone use for this reason after getting a larger phone, so it’s something I personally want to avoid. Again though, no way to know until it’s in my hands.

1 Like

Nah, storage is probably soldered on:

Effective storage capacity subject to change based on size of operating system and formatting technology. All models include a microSD slot for additional storage capacity.

Edit:
Oh shit, you might actually be able to!
Gabe Newell says Steam Deck storage is replaceable & upgradable via 2230 M.2 NVMe SSD slot, all versions use the same motherboard : Amd (reddit.com)

2 Likes

I curious about the capability of the GPU. Does it perform roughly like an RX 570?