Valve announces the Steam Deck

Fuck my 3900x gimme

1 Like

Should probably also have the link to the official Steam Deck site in the main post.

I find it interesting desgin-wise that the one featured on the website has VALVe on the back instead of the Steam logo like both the Controller and the Link have. I wonder if the final version will have the Steam logo instead, though I would not mind the Valve branding too for a change.

I also wonder if they will sell Steam Deck SD cards like shown here

And if the SOC will be lasered VALVe/AMD since and went and did the big Ryzen etching on the chips.

I don’t see a real use in my case but it honestly looks like a cool enough gimmick to pick up for fun though. 64GB eMMC does kinda suck though, but not sure if I’m curious enough to spend the extra for 256GB. Also hard decision waiting for reviews or just putting down a preorder.

1 Like

The bottom tier having eMMC is a heavy downgrade to make the price point, even so I’m impressed by the price points of all three options as it’s necessary but also no doubt galling for them not to have excessive margins on the hardware.

I am interested.

1 Like

obraz

I think it is very interesting to see how APU’s perform with every iteration of those handheld PCs.
Can’t wait till discrete graphics goes away for normies :smiley:

5 Likes

if only it came with an LTE(a) modem/antenna. hopefully somebody will make such an enclosure utilizing that USBc port.

I doubt have my doubts of the ram being upgradeable. At least at the current moment, ddr5 ram isn’t available (outside of the datacenters at early adopter prices).

If it were replaceable, I would figure they’d be using laptop ram (for better power efficiency).

That would be nice but then harder to sell internationally as we all use different bands. I am sure you can plug one into the USB.

I am so mega hype for this. I have a need for this.

1 Like

my current gaming/work laptop came with such a feature. it was a simple call to my carrier to add a line just for it. the convenience of never needing to rely on my university or any public place’s Wireless cannot be overstated.

1 Like

A story in 3 images

4 Likes

lmfao, I got that too now, perhaps if you want to order another one or a different config?

40 minutes of praying and still no where, these are dark times.

I managed to get though, took about 12 minutes over all. had to reload about 6 times though.
I only clicked ever stop once and waited until it went through, if the error threw, I just waited a bit until it went through.

Well RIP, guess I will wait for the reviews and then probably not get it.

5 Likes

Or you buy the shittiest one and stop being a macbook user

Can’t wait to watch this thread go from excited to ‘oh its just another walmart tablet’ in like a year. Watch.

2 Likes

if that’s the case, there should be lawsuits against Valve. the advertised specs might be legally binding.
i am not a lawyer.

I dunno, the index is pretty damn good for just a passion project. I think they are barely making profit off of it. Not to mention how well they are supporting it. I have heard conflicting reports but if anything just retry and you get a good rep.
Hopefully that is a positive benchmark for this device.

+1 for KDE. Especially since KDE is already superior to Windows 11 trying to copy both Big Sur and KDE.

But man, the AYA NEO may have a lot of order cancellations soon.

The biggest thing is how SteamOS will handle pacman. (NOT THE ARCADE GAME YOU DOOFS)

4 Likes