Valorant anti cheat

So Valorant’s anti-cheat is blocking files that don’t seem the least bit connected to the game (the latest being windows\syswow64\drivers\asio.sys which from what I’ve looked up is for managing my PC’s components and power usage and shit), so really kinda sus, I’ve heard lots of people saying negative things about their anti-cheat system, I’ve also noticed that my bios has been failing to load recently and the only thing I’ve changed on my pc recently is downloading Valorant.

Does Valorant have some super shady shit going on in the background or is the anti-cheat just dog shit?

Could Valorant be related to why my bios isn’t loading?

How is my bios not loading but my PC still works fine?

1 Like

why I’m not sure if its related to your bios there has been a lot of backlash about the anti-cheat Valorant uses as its essentially a root kit. it installs its self as a kernel driver with full administrative privileges to your computer and can do literally anything it wants to.

https://www.osnews.com/story/131665/riot-games-maker-of-league-of-legends-installs-rootkit-with-their-new-hit-game-valorant/

5 Likes

Free, Chinese, “games”…

5 Likes

Uninstalling my 2 riot games on my PC right now (I never even trusted them to properly Balance their games, def not gonna trust them with this), do you know if the tft app on the google play store has same security issues?

1 Like

It is very unlikely as Android does not allow root kernel access by default on phones and you can clearly see the permissions the app is requesting to use and block them. not saying they won’t do anything like this with the permissions they do have just that its impact is limited by Androids design.

2 Likes

Awesome, at least I can keep playing tft, guess I’ll have to play csgo though to replace valorant rip

Thanks for the help bro

1 Like

I’ve had very similar issues, and I was forced to uninstall the game because it was blocking essential drivers, causing my pc to bluescreen at random times. No anticheat should be able to block essential windows32 files.

3 Likes

uhhhh
faceit and esea have similar anticheats that install as a rootkit. I guess the concern since those services are opt in.

there’s a longer explanation for why it needs to be installed as a rootkit, but one of the reasons is that cheats can be run off of a usb, which cannot be detected by the filesystem.

I think the worst case is someone malicious compromises vanguard.

They pushed a recent update where you can uninstall it anytime and reinstall it when you launch valorant.

That’s gotta be the dumbest solution to getting vangaurd to not fuck with your pc when you’re not playing valorant, like why not just have it simply not run when you’re not using valorant.

^^ that sounds like worst case so far to me

And I’m sure with enough money and effort these big ass companies can find a better solution to prevent cheating in competitive games without downloading anti-cheat software on the kernel level, they’d just rather harm their player base than spend more money finding a better solution.

2 Likes

because hackers can run stuff on the computer before launching valorant. By making you restart your computer before booting up valorant it clears everything in the background.

I am going to refer you to the article again.

At the end of the day it’s your choice to play the game. By looks of it this is too much of a dealbreaker for you.

I’ve hated riot for years, one of the most uncreative game companies to exist second to only those mobile game companies (that literally copy paste popular mobile games from everything including story and gameplay, all the way to using same art style), they can’t balance their games for shit, and they have NO IDEA what their playerbase wants (like that fucking champion progress tracker in LoL you have to pay for with real money that literally NO ONE asked for. And also reworking champions that were meant for players who aren’t Faker’s children and turning them into champs you need to be faker himself to play to the best of the champs abilities)

I also don’t trust them for shit, used a throwaway email to register, never even gave them my card info always bought riot points at stores

Them blocking files for regulating power and identifying components or whatever was all I needed to drop them at this point

This actually causes Valorant to close. When the anti-cheat encounters a file/device it can not access, it nukes the game.

1 Like

Jesus, that’s terrifying.

2 Likes

Tbh I get it. I get why its like that. Not that I agree with it. Take a look at the cheating in csgo and you’ll see why. Csgo is a joke to cheat in. It’s so bad there’s instances of pros cheating in tournaments. A good portion of the top players in ranked are cheating. People pay for ESEA memberships just to get away from that.

I think this is the wrong direction though. Private servers with moderators is a better way to go about the problem. Public servers and heavy anti cheat only punishes the players. Cheaters are going to cheat.

6 Likes

Even a system were players reports are counted and if a cheater gets enough reports on average, they are warned/suspended/banned is better than questionable software (yielding mediocre results).

4 Likes

How to Manually Uninstall Riot Vanguard

1. Press the Windows key to open the Start Menu.
  2. Launch the Command Prompt as an Administrator. …
  3. In the command editor that opens up, type the command sc delete vgc and press enter.
  4. Reboot your computer.

That’s basically how the system in csgo works. While it’s ok, I feel like it doesn’t do much when the game is free to play. There’s not much repercussion to getting caught. It’s a game killer. I used to like csgo but I just gave up after it went f2p.

Also SC delete vgk

And yes, this is legit.

And IMO it is among the best systems.

It just the first 40%. Another 30% is to ban computers (by hardware combinations, driver/software versions, MAC of the NIC, etc.) and maybe throw some form of machine learning into it just to spot what confirmed cheaters have in common (maybe there is a pattern?).

1 Like

It’s f2p now? I hate it when you pay for a game and they say nothing about going f2p then they go f2p and you realize you wasted money on a game you only got so you didn’t get those purple and black textures in gmod lmao, only other game that happened that I bought was that monster hunting game, never played that either really lmao

2 Likes