Valorant anti cheat

Though they might not have their own root-level anti-cheat, on Android, Google Play Services’ SafetyNet is already acting like an anti-cheat system. I cannot imagine Google would technically run it as root, but it has permissions to do quite a bit:

I wonder if seeing this sort of thing is what inspired them to try something like Vanguard; an entire platform with an always-on application tamper-detection scheme.

Wait phones can get malware and whatnot?

Of course. On a technical level phones can be somewhat more secure because of how apps are sandboxed, but a dedicated attacker might find a way around those restrictions. Still, it is enough that most phone malware relies on tricking the user into giving up permissions or personal/security information, and simply works within what the system allows it to do.

A desktop user willing to sacrifice some flexibility and simplicity could implement some of this same security. The origin of one of the tools Android uses might give you an example of a user willing to make that tradeoff.

2 Likes

When there is a hardware device that runs software, it can get a virus.

Guess why many think IoT is a mistake.

3 Likes

I think I fundamentally disagree with it being one of the best systems. Maybe things have changed since I quit.

I would much rather just see private servers with their own moderation team. Let the community police itself. This has the side effect of allowing things like mods to be developed. The reason CS ever got big was because it was a mod and then people started doing more with that. If riot wants people to take this game seriously then they need to embrace the community that would play it.

People cheat in LoL too so the system of reporting cheaters to then be reviewed has little effect on actual cheating. Their cheat detection is a joke and they know it, which is why they’ve gone so far in this direction. I like the stuff riot does most of the time. I have a valorant beta key, but I wont be installing this game or supporting this move. Its disappointing for sure, and I think we can all agree this is a bad move.

1 Like

While most forms of Anti-Cheat now a days are in there own ways malware, Valorants seems particularly shady because of its Virtual Machine detection. Most games with Anti-Cheat work within a Virtual Machine yet Valorants insistence to be run on real hardware seems shady as hell to me

1 Like

Game looked interesting at first.

Not anymore.

3 Likes

Since it wont run on Linux, I am not really interested in it.

1 Like

It won’t run on Linux cause they can’t put malware in a Linux version like they can Windows

3 Likes

Now theyre planning on adding an overwatch style system on top of the existing anticheat

I guess they dont have that much faith in it to do its job lol

I wonder if it were commonplace for everyone to use and understand a MAC system on computers, would anti-cheat or DRM even exist?

Without MAC/sandboxing, we have basically trained computer users to write blank checks to their software, and then act surprised when it takes advantage of them.

If people had to consciously roll back the protections on their machine for each game they installed, maybe it would never have gotten to this point; maybe it would have stopped with the first “allow this program to see everything running on this machine” request.

As it is, modern anti-cheat is like having an exam proctor who demands parents sign over legal custody before allowing students to take the test. The argument for an always-on kernel extension is like saying, “that’s not good enough, I need to have been watching over you since the moment you woke up.”
Edit: Maybe a better analogy for kernel-level persistence would be a proctor that demands to watch as one clothes oneself, because unless the proctor is allowed to see you naked you could be hiding something!

Maybe I am taking this to an extreme, but as people increasingly use technology as an extension to their mind, it becomes increasingly disturbing how some feel entitled to run amok therein.

When it comes to games I basically live under a rock, but I can hardly say I’m surprised by them pulling this sort of bullshit.

Chinese money is everywhere. Patent portfolios, Countrywide networking, Large manufacturing companies, Movies, Music and Games all over the world… Hell, Tencent alone owns shares in many video companies.

PC Gamer isn’t that thorough either, I’m sure there are a lot more.

3 Likes

Surprised I already don’t touch any of this trash… Except Paradox, but I’ve since dropped them for non-Chinese reasons.

Jesus fucking christ pcgamer, that site is unviewable on mobile. It’s more ads than content.

1 Like

Off topic, try to install noscript and stuff on mobile phones. It makes browsing better.

Their subreddit is afire with this same topic.

Lots of people uninstalling the game it seems.

The valorant subredit? And all because of vanguard?

one word

china

2 Likes

Enough with the tin foil China nonsense. Tencent is an investment company. None of the decisions Riot made was due to Tencent’s stake in them. Quit blaming china for shitty tactics by Riot games.

5 Likes