Used Ebay FX8320 or 8350 worth it for temporary bump?

Curious to see what others think…I want to build a Ryzen system, the whole of which is sitting in a cart on Newegg…

However while I wait for GPU (And hopefully DDR4) prices to chill out a bit, I was curious if grabbing an FX8320 or FX8350 on ebay for $40-50 would get me any appreciable increase in gaming performance vs my current Phenom II X4 955 oc’d to 3.9 Ghz (It was 4.0 for the past 3-4 years most of the time…but my PC started to get a little unstable lately for some reason so I took it down a notch to hope it would be more stable…)
Specifically Overwatch occasionally (not always) has hiccups where it dips below 60 fps or stutters, and things like The Witcher 3 and GTA 5 are not always happy campers. Starcraft II is also a very unhappy camper whenever Protoss invisibility is in effect over a lot of units.

GPU is an R9 280, 16gb of Mushkin Blackline DDR3 1600.

edit 2
Forgot, motherboard on my system is an Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0.

Can’t decide if that would be a worthwhile bump to get me through the next half year or so until GPU and RAM prices are hopefully normal again or if I should just save the cash and hope Cyber Monday brings good gifts.

edit
Kinda crossing my fingers that maybe someone here had done the 945/955/965 to FX83xx jump and may have some insight on what that bump actually gets you.

1 Like

Well… Actually…
Even the Ryzen 3 1200 is outperforming the FX lineup in many many MANY use cases. Gaming is definitely better, and surprise surprise, even number crunching it matches the FX.
So my answer is no. Not worth if you ask me.
I had similar dilemma some time ago, but decided to save the extra cash and get 1600 instead of investing in AM3 for temporary system.

4 Likes

Bulldozer was pretty good when it came out but it has not aged well, especially in the gaming department. I gave my 8350 to my brother who then bought a skylake i3 and actually gained frames in most games. If you can get the board and cpu for less than $100 then it might be worth but otherwise a 4160/4170 would be a better buy IMO.

To clarify I plan to build the Ryzen rig either way, this would be a bandaid if you will, while I hope for a few other prices to normalize.

Ram price will not change soon. Samsung increase quantity of production, but that’s it. The ram will stay expensive for a while…
The GPU doesn’t really matter for the topic at hand. So yeah…

In games? Likely nothing or very minor unless you get a heafty OC. Bulldozer was actually worse in single core and IPC than Phenom II was. FAX clocks higher which makes up for it but at the end of the day in most games with a 280 you won’t see that much of an improvement

I’d just save the money and wait until.you can upgrade to Ryzen. Even $40-50 doesn’t seem worth it. Just save the money and wait

True, I could just hold off GPU and upcycle it into the new Ryzen system temporarily. 1060 and 580 prices should hopefully be back in line soon.

Kinda what I was afraid of, I wasn’t sure how the per core performance of the 8350 was vs the 955, cuz most games won’t care about the 8 cores, it just has a slightly higher clock and I was hoping I could maybe get a little more overclock out of an 8350.

I agree with pretty much everyone here - The FX processors routinely have their asses handed to them by dual-core i3s and pretty much any i5 or i7 released in the past 5 years. Unless you’re getting one for the sake of nostalgia, I don’t see a reason to invest money into the FX lineup. Even then, if I were to get an AM3 processor, I’d much rather get a 1090T, because that definitely has a dearer place in the hearts of enthusiasts. The 8350 was nice when it released, but honestly imo just turned out to be a bag of unfulfilled promises that we’re just now getting with Ryzen.

1 Like

Keep in mind I already have an AM3+ board and entire system, not building from scratch, current system is already AM3+ compatible. I’m already running an M5A99FX PRO R2.0 with an AM3+ socket.

The only thing I would be swapping is CPU.

So Intel vs AMD doesn’t matter here, it’s just Phenom II X4 955 vs FX 83XX. It’s really old AMD vs slightly less old AMD lol. I wouldn’t be tempted by an 8350 at retail price, they’re still too expensive to justify it on Newegg/Amazon etc.

Only reason it’s even a question is because used 8350s seem to be going for ~$50 on Ebay right now. Just not sure of the per core real world performance difference between K10 and Piledriver.

(I could really ham it up and get a 9590 probably highest performance for the socket but 9590s are oddly expensive still…also I don’t wanna pay a mint on my power bill)

Edit
All that said, I’m kinda leaning toward DerkKrieger probably being right here. I should probably just be patient because game performance would likely net me only a couple FPS at best…I may have to keep this board just to throw a 9590 in it for giggles someday when they are pennies to get…220W…

The 9590 is just a a better binned 8350. It isn’t anything special.

Most 8350s made before the 9590 can hit 5.0Ghz. Mine did 5.1-5.2

Note at 5.1Ghz in games it was about the same performance as an i5 at around 3.7Ghz…

1 Like

Again… Even the cheapest Ryzen system will outperform the FX.
Invest the 50$ in the new build. Better and more ram for example.

I would only do a 9590 for silliness factor lol.

Anyway, I should probably just be patient. My Ryzen build currently has a 1600 in it which is going to be a fun step up from my venerable old gal.

Crossing my fingers for some good Cyber Monday deals

Edit Only reason I have the Trident Z RGB ram in there, is due to eventually wanting to make this a wall mounted PC…I may just get regular ram that is better for now.

1 Like

Is the case for looks alone? Cause the cooling in it is atrocious.
DUDE…

200$ for 2400MHz? NO…

See above post ^^

The closest thing to ryzen that you could put in your system is the 8370

I noticed it, but you can at least get 3000 for that price… Not the slowest acceptable speed… I mean you can get 2400 for 150$… If you spend 200 bucks get fast RGB ram…

In multithreading even the Ryzen3 1200 is matching it. In single thread the Ryzen is killing it. But yes.

Oh trust me, I have already been rethinking the ram…I really want the “Warp core” look I could get on my wall mounted PC with the Trident Z, but the RAM was already most likely getting swapped for something 3200.

As far as the InWin 305 goes, the cooling is not that bad, it’s the same as the 303 which is pretty much identical to the NZXT S340.

The radiator will be in a push/pull config up top with fans on the face and on the inside of the PSU shroud, and there will be at least 1 intake fan below the GPU and a back port fan as well, which I intend to toy with as an exaust or intake to get fresh air to the rad.

Edit
I should actually clarify, I also plan to mod the upper shroud to put the radiator inside the shroud as well, so all 3 front facing push fans (1 going into PSU, mostly for looks, and 2 directly on top of radiator) will be on the outside of the shroud, with radiator and pull fans inside the shroud.

Edit 2
Also I can actually get CAS 16 3200 Trident Z RGB for $40 cheaper right now lol, so, there’s that. Fixed that up in the build list lol.
facepalm didn’t actually notice that was what you linked to psycho_666, I just thought you linked to the same one from the list . To be fair when I originally made the initial list for this, the 2400 ram was only like $120.

1 Like

or a sandy/ivy bridge i5, probably could find a mobo and I5 for 100.00 US on ebay.

1 Like

As someone who has an FX 8350 with a good OC i can say that well all those games run fine it’s still not worth it. Just turn settings down wait and buy Ryzen.

As someone who moved to a Ryzen 7 1700X from an 8350… don’t spend the money on it, just put that towards the new system. No point in spending $50 now for a stopgap, just put it towards the system difference and carryover the GPU for now. The 8350 was bottlenecking my RX 480 when I bought it, there’s a chance it’ll still be holding back the R9 still.