Used Ebay FX8320 or 8350 worth it for temporary bump?

If you would build the Ryzen system anyway then take your 50$ and light a cigar with it (be sure to take a top quality one though).

But seriously, don’t throw away that money for no reason if you can jst throw it into the Ryzen system too…

Even then you pay extra for electricity. I know a lot of people forget about the running costs…

That’s a 3200 kit :o

I mean it wouldn’t be entirely for no reason, it would let me have a more stable, slightly better performing system in between now and when I build the Ryzen box.

edit That said for now I’ll probably just deal with the occasional blue screen and save it for the Ryzen system.

These are precisely the perspective I was hoping to find here. No substitute for actually having the part in question :slight_smile:
Thanks, I suppose I will just have to be patient for the time being and live with my occasional blue screens from my current CPU getting a little unstable.

It is worth it depending on the price he pays for it. Everything comes down to price.

1 Like

By the time you have saved up Ryzen 2 should be out.
I would stick with the x4. The bulldozer I think has the same or less IPC then the X4 and games like GTA5 are known for hating the FX anyway.
If you really need to buy something, and I know the feeling, look for something that can be used with the Ryzen system.

It depends on your current gpu really(im guessing you mainly wanna game).
The fx line can run 1440p quite well using a rx480/580, just dont expect 200fps+.
with the RX line of GPUs the FX line CPUs is the bottleneck though, and you’ll get an instant boost just going for ryzen, but games are well within the playable boundries.
My old system which i retired to workstation was a fx8350 OC’ed to 4400Mhz, 32gb ram, and a rx480, and it ran witcher 3 at 1440 very well, and honestly it is the most stable system i have ever owned for all kinds of workloads, not to mention problem free system, they’re a basic download, and install drivers system, and on linux it is just right out of the box.
albeit it cannot compare to a ryzen 1600X with a vega 64 atleast when gaming.
My advice is if you really wait and see, then get that FX chip, and replace the whole system when price are lets call it abit more *cough sane, then retire that fx system to a server/workstation/spare time project or what ever you want to, those older 8 cores still got some bite in my oppinion, and unless you’re in dire need of some extremely state of the art cpu power, they’ll get the job done(Handbrake is usually around ~250-300fps rendered for h.264).
Also there is atleast one caveat, expect to invest in a SOLID cooler because under load these chips runs HOT, but a descent noctua cooler and you’re up and running.

Don’t do it. Speaking from first hand experience the fx line up does not hold up. I thought the hiccups and hang times were bugs in games. No it was just the 8320 that could not handle the games (even oc’d).

I moved over to coffee lake i5 8400 and it is night and day of an experience.

I was always an AMD fan for bang for buck. “Not no’mo.”

All i can say is that. Do not do it.

When I upgraded from AMD X4 640 and AMD 965? I felt 1090T was way stronger than the 8350. The FX 8350 feels like an 3770K if you have a Q9650 or any 3Ghz Quadcore. That’s just my opinion, Once you hit 4Ghz quad core most games are about the same speed on AMD or Intel. Had all 4 processors the 1090T felt more snappier.

I would just go the cheapest route and get the 8320 and spend the $100 dollar to get a high end heatsink. I remember back in the day I had 60 fps or so on med-high on 640/965. Then upgraded to 1090T i got like 90-100 fps. then 8350 and then intel i7 3930k both got 100-150 fps. GTA is like unoptimized tho it does benefit from crossfire AMDs cards (120+ fps with 2 RX 480). Have’t tried witcher 3 but seems like another unoptimized game that doesn’t benefit from CPU or GPU much.

same here. went from a fx8250 to a core i7 6700 (non-k) and holy smow (thanks linus) what a difference. handbrake times are nearly 1/2 of hte older fx chip, and it runs much cooler as well.

So you gave up on AMD when they became actually really competitive and got Coffee Lake…

2 Likes

I went from an X4 940 to an FX 8350 and that upgrade to the FX was huge for its time. I do mixed workloads, including encoding while gaming and the FX is still good today for nearly everything I do.

With your current GPU, the FX would not bottleneck any games. Upgrading to Ryzen with your current GPU for gaming would give 0-2% gains over FX. Pointless.

There are some CPU bottlenecks to be removed prior to the FX CPU at that GPU level. The FX will not bottleneck video cards again until you get around a 1070/1080/Vega.

My recommendation is that if the FX CPU is really only $50, then upgrade to FX. After those $50, save the rest on getting a better GPU, 1070/Vega or above only ($350+). Then only after that, would it be time for a platform upgrade to Ryzen/Intel.

The rule is that games scale mostly from the GPU. Upgrading the CPU for gaming is mostly pointless until you start getting into the enthusiast grade GPU levels. So get there, to the enthusiast grade GPUs, before upgrading to platforms if your use case is gaming.

2 Likes

Not to judge but FX -> Coffee Lake seeing a boost isn’t really an AMD vs Intel choice maker, it’s like what, 3 or 4 generations difference? It’s the same as me moving from a Phenom to a Ryzen 5. It’s bound to show drastic improvement no matter the brand.

Slightly more on topic I have more than enough 8350/8320 first hand stories now to know I should just stick it out until my Ryzen upgrade.

Thanks for the detail, I do mostly plan on just gaming for now. I have been contemplating streaming for fun, so that’s why I went with the 1600 (I was originally gonna do 1700, but I am hoping a 1600 should get me started with a good OC should I decide to stream.) I’m not that far off getting the system really, technically I could probably do it now if I wanted to, I just figured I’d wait to see what Black Friday/Cyber Monday hold.

Interesting, I do have more than pure performance in mind for the upgrade to Ryzen though. My system is pretty unstable lately and while I think it’s the CPU I can’t 100% rule out motherboard. Also I have been contemplating streaming so I kinda want the 1600 minimum to give that a shot.

I also do plan on upgrading the GPU soon to either an RX card, a 1070, or something in the Vega line, depending on what happens with GPU pricing.

Overwatch also seems to really hate older CPUs, ARMA III too. I’m a little worried titles with heavy CPU dependency like that may run into issues with an older CPU regardless of my GPU. GTA V Is another example.

Running a 1090T perfectly fine (aside from current Radeon driver issue). Maybe FX CPUs tho, idk.

As far as I know GTA V was never a really good example for good optimisation, no? Or am I mixing up something?

I have 4 sticks of the the ‘warp core’ TridentZ and it is very purty.

… not at all practical but very purty.

DAMN YOU RGB!

Why can’t I quit you!!!

I mean, I don’t necessarily care if it is good example for optimization, I can’t control that.

What I can control is the CPU I run it on to get around the bad optimization, which I have fears that it would not do well on a lower IPC 8350 the more I look into it and get feedback from people here, I’m saying it would be an outlier that would give me reason to question the 8350 for my use case even with Peanut’s very good points about my current GPU.

Yeah…I just really want that comet effect on blue and white for the wall mounted PC…I got too attached to the idea.

Get that going with just a blue (Or maybe deep purple…) background and a white “flash”

I am not a charity. I buy what is best for MY NEEDS. Intel won my money with their coffee lake line up. End of story.

1 Like

Not to judge but FX -> Coffee Lake seeing a boost isn’t really an AMD vs Intel choice maker, it’s like what, 3 or 4 generations difference? It’s the same as me moving from a Phenom to a Ryzen 5. It’s bound to show drastic improvement no matter the brand.

Of course, I feel that the intel chip is a lot more snappier than the amd chips. I made a 1600 ryzen computer and I was not impress with the feel of the computer. It did not feel much of an upgrade. The intel on the other hand does. It feels snappier and it is responsive. At this point i like the coffee lake line up. I like its gaming benchmarks and how it feels in-game in comparison to the 8320 and r5 1600.
The ryzen chips are great I think they have to be a little more polished.

Surprised you can even get one.

Even so I don’t see why a more expensive CPU won when performance is basically similar.

The FX CPUs can bottleneck GTX 1060/RX580/570/480/470/R9 390/GTX 970 level GPUs even the R9 380 in some cases is bottlenecked by an FX CPU. I would hold out a while longer for Ryzen (or Coffee Lake since those CPUs are actually somewhat competitive unlike Kaby Lake).