Updating the Firmware on Sandisk 800GB Optimus 2.5" SAS -2 SSD, SDLKAC6M-800G-5CA1, TXA2D2; How to?

Hello,

These SSDs are from 2014, and when I bought them used I noticed they all have different, apparently older, firmware versions. I wanted to update them to the latest available, so I inquired with Sandisk support.

They were actually super-helpful, and sent me this:
https://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/16528/kw/Optimus%20ascend

The issue, of course, is that they didn’t explain how to apply the upgrade.

I tried to jump directly to the latest version, F930, and got an ILLEGAL SEQUENCE ERROR, and I’m not really sure what to do now. I’m wary of contining to jack with it without really understanding what I’m doing and bricking a drive.

I’m using the Windows version of the utility.

A few questions:

1. Has anyone used this tool on this drive or a similar vintage one? Any suggestions?
  2. Under the download link for the F930 version, it says: NOTE: When using the SanDisk Guard firmware update, select "Download Microcode with offsets, save and activate" option and put "4096" in the "Transfer File" field. Think that applies to the F910, as well?
  3. I read the release notes, and they don’t list the SDLKAC6M-800G-5CA1.
    3.1 They do list the SDLKOCDM-800G-5CA1 Optimus.2 Ascend 2.5” 800GB (10 DWPD). This is the closest I can find in the list.
    3.2 Any idea what the differences in the model number mean? Clearly the support people thought they were close enough…

Thanks for any help/suggestions.

After a pretty lengthy back and forth with Sandisk Enterprise Support, I finally got an answer on this. Considering that these are nearly ten years old, I bought them second hand and used, and I’m not an enterprise customer, they provided an amazing amount of help.

That said, tl;dr the drives are so old that they don’t have any archived firmware for them. So keep that in mind if you’re looking at purchasing these. Intel, for example, still has archived firmware going back to 2015 for the enterprise SSD models regualrly recommended among home server builders.

Here’s the final message I got from them.

Thank you for your patience. Please allow us to inform you that the drive is an end of line product and there is no firmware update available for this product.

We do not have any retail end-user support for this product. Unfortunately, our retail products support team will not be able to assist you with this concern.

If you experience any further issues or require any type of assistance, please feel free to reply to this email. We will be happy to assist you further.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.