Unfortunately a decade old motherboard of DDR3 era Desktop in my family died, and needs to be rebuilt or replaced, on a budget of “as little as possible”.
I got disused a 2x8gig kit of laptop DDr4 3200 and a SATA SSD, that I think could be used to to cut costs dramatically. I also have a Zen 1 1600 AM4 processer, but not supported in 5XX chispets. I’ve got disused cases and power supplies too. Basically I need a motherboard , some form of GPU, or barebones system.
So here is my ideas
1st, buy a bare bones system to put the existing SSD and RAM into, I really like the AYANEO AM01 mini since it has space for both a SATA and NVME storage and the processor looks great. I like it so much that I’m capping the cost of the project to to not exceed the cost of the AM01. But I’m open for suggestions for a barebones system.
2nd buy a (probably used/refurbished) motherboard compatible with a Zen 1 cpu, a GPU (RX6400? Intel? ), and 260pin to 288 pin adapters for the RAM. If anyone has first hand experience with ddr4 260 pin to 288 pin adapters? I’d like to hear about it. I’m think this path could become a money pit, and even low end GPU are getting scalped now.
3rd, buy a motherboard with an embedded processor/gpu. This would solve the GPU/CPU problem, I just don’t want a pentium/celercon/N nas/router board.
I would talk to the family member that used/ will use this computer, almost anything will be better but their needs could also be best served by an ipad/ android tablet, a new phone, or more likely a laptop, or possibly a stationary PC of some sort like you are looking at (don’t rule out used/ refurbished all in one desktops built into a screen).
I would look into used office PCs that can be had for cheep.
Especially if you buy without the RAM and add the kit you mentioned.
If you can swing linux, there are a bunch of DDR4 systems, intel 7 series and prior that won’t run windows anymore, but will run linux just fine for an internet box.
I would say it kinda depends on what the users needs are.
If it´s just for regular usage browsing, emailing and office type light workloads?
Than a system from the DDR3 era would still suit them pretty well.
Especially if you install Linux on it than there is still plenty of life left in it generally.
In that case depending on what actual part that has failed you might be able find a replacement on the used market and get the said system up and running again.
But if not than you might still be able to find some AM4 parts on the used market.
DDR4 is also kinda expensive but still way cheaper than the current DDR5.
And the am4 cpu´s and motherboards are kinda affordable right now.
Especially if you look on the used market ssd and case can be re-used.
And if the psu is still working and a quality unit you will likely be fine re-using that as well.