UNIGINE: Superposition benchmark

https://unigine.com/en/products/benchmarks/superposition

UNIGINE released the Superposition benchmark today. It is very pretty and I like how it estimates VRAM usage prior to launching the benchmark. I encountered a common problem when attempting to use DirectX.

direct3d11 error 0x087a0001

There is an incompatibility between Unigine and Afterburner + RivaTuner. Even though this issue is old, I never saw it before when using Heaven or Valley. The fix is easy but different than what I found when searching. I guess because RivaTuner has been updated.

Open up the RivaTuner piece of Afterburner and click on the wrench. Uncheck both 'Enable dedicated encoder server service' and 'Enable 64-bit applications support service'. That's what fixed this error for me.

I admit I did not get a very impressive result, but I would be remiss if I didn't show you.

edit via: @w.meri (I don't know how to quote a PM).

"Hey, so Cyklon_DX asked in the Lounge is somebody could make a spreadsheet for benchmark results for the Superposition benchmark. I made it and didn't notice that a thread already existed (I have the Software&OS category muted), so I have stuff setup if you wanted to add them to the OP in your thread? I think it might be an easier way to coalesce the data.

Here's a link to a form users can fill out that will automatically dump the data into a spreadsheet:

And a link to the spreadsheet itself:

In the form only the Username, preset, Score, CPU, and GPU are required to be answered, everything else is optional. There's also no emails or other data collected. "

I think we should ask that DirectX be the standard for comparison (higher results ATM), but if you get better results with OpenGL post that or both.

4 Likes

I just downloaded both versions, There's no Vulkan support on the Linux version; it's OpenGL only! : (

My GTX780 can only manage 50/57FPS (Linux/W10) average, on the binary drivers at medium settings (1080p). : (

If this is the shape of things to come (next gen game engines), it looks like I need to start saving my nickels and dimes.

mmm been waiting on this to release.

Their server must be loaded 'cuz it's taking forever for me

yup :frowning: 20 hours for me but i am also downloading 5 games and other stuff. Imagine that will change.

4790k stock with an msi r9 290 gaming

1 Like

2 Likes

lol I have another 20 minutes. Will do my Ryzen 1700x with 32gigs of ram and one Fury then dual Furies.

It's very GPU bound so CPU shouldn't matter as much. I mean, the guy just before my benchmark results post, had a i74790k. I have a FX8350, what little difference we had was due to GPU clockspeeds more likely.

When I ran the benchmark on high, Unigine estimated my VRAM usage as just under 3.5GB.
Maybe your extreme test is exceeding the 4GB on your R9 390X ?

from bumping the core clock on the r9 290 from 977 to 1000

1 Like

Crashes for me on Fedora 25

Fury has minor OC to 1075 @ 1175mV

FHD, DX & High

FHD, OGL + High

FHD, DX + Extreme

@Spectra2.0, is boost disabled on your 4790k as well?

Your Fury is kicking butt!

I wonder why DirectX scores so much better than OpenGL?
Hopefully version 1.1 includes Vulkan support.

Not sure if it makes a difference, but drivers are 17.2.1. WattMan for my OC utility (havent bothered with third party software)
As for VRAM utilization in Extreme. I had GPUZ open in the second monitor and noticed utilization held a steady 4016MB during the benchmark; suspect VRAM is gimping the scores

1 Like

Shiity CPU until I get my Ryzen build but.

1 Like

Latest Radeon driver 17.4.2, 390X + 290X, core clocks 1080 + 1100 MHz.
Updated Win 10, WDDM 2.2:

390X is stock, can't overclock at all with the latest driver, known issue. 290X has modified VBIOS for 1100 MHz.
Looks like there isn't any Crossfire profile. Setting "Optimize 1x1" works for DirectX.

1 Like

Somehow it fails to see my overclock. My CPU is running at 4.4GHz. I do have Speedstep enabled, so perhaps the CPU didn't find it necessary to go beyond 3.5 in Superposition?

1 Like

i5-760 4.21 Ghz
4x4 GB 1200Mhz (the only weak point of my system)
HOF 980 TI at 1455 mhz

will try to tweak it to get it over 10000