[UK] Raspberry Pi 4 8GB actually available for purchase (stunned)

Hi all,

Linkie Loo: Raspberry Pi 4 Model B | The Pi Hut

just thought I’d share. It’s £75 though, not the £57 I paid in 2021, but that’s life eh!

4 Likes

that is crazy, its insane they cant make more at a reasonable price.

2 Likes

Question, what you guys using the 8GB ones for?

All of my Pi uses are things that need attached hardware and run lightweight tools. Anything real compute/memory requirements I just run in a VM or other x86 hardware

1 Like

Tbch id hardly qualify 75 dollars as reasonable. Like yeah its a non scalp price but not reasonable. Pi needs to get back to the 35 dollar space

1. their rnd is already paid for
  2. the arm chip is high yield and cheap
  3. the dram chip is high yield and cheap
  4. the board overall isnt that expensive if you find the leaked BOM

Might be the development of the OS most people are paying for maybe

Kubernetes clusters

If it’s a supply problem, then yeah you’d think something would have shaken loose by now.

1 Like

was commenting that the price was unreasonable sorry if it wasnt clear. I want more at a reasonable price (original MSRP wasnt bad)

nah I didnt have my coffee yet

1 Like

@ChrisA Welcome to the new reality where world inflation is at 17 or 18 perent per year. The last time inflation was this high was the late 1970’s.

1 Like

This isn’t really inflation, this is a supply and demand problem. In fact, the pricing of Pi’s has been pretty much flat

The Pi 8GB have been available quite often here in the US for MSRP at $75, which is 58 pounds

1 Like

I snagged one last week when they were in stock for $35

1 Like

Tbch after seeing leaked BOMS the 4 gb should be 35 (and theyd still make great margins) and the 8 gb 45 to 55

1 Like

The question is more why not RK3399 which is better in pretty much all ways? :wink:

mind share / support guides etc

2 Likes

This and chinese IP/cheap. Had more than a few have quality issues

Didnt Sgt have some issue with the rock stuff

1 Like

Yeah. I know multiple people that did

Also its not that the rpi doesnt have its dumb issues like crossing cc1 and cc2

Such as? RockPro64, RockPi 4 works great for example?

1 Like

They still on debian 11 and hasn’t moved to 12 yet. I’d say they better get their ass in gear or lower the price.

1 Like

Their chips dont burn out but POE hat sucks on it and also using the adapter seems to eventually lead to in a not so frequent case of the power delivery chip over heating and/or letting out the blue smoke

Im personally done with SBCs. Unless I out them in that cool blade setup as compute modules

These days im more onboard with the miniforum cheap mini pcs networked in a cluster

2 Likes