Ubuntu doesn't boot after Nvidia 418 install

do you only have one drive in there?

Yea at the moment as my other drives have data on them and I don’t want anything to happen to them.

1 Like

auto is fine then, I think youll come to enjoy it once its all setup. first thing to do when you get it installed is do all the updates, this is crucial.

I just got to the desktop. Looks like Ubuntu but blue. I take it I need to install drivers still? Also I haven’t been promoted for updates yet.

sudo dnf update

Regarding Nvidia drivers, I second Adubs’ recommendation and would rock the Negativo17

2 Likes

Personally I still just use the rpmfusion drivers but you and sgt swear by them and I trust your judgement over mine. I couldnt tell you why your way is better but I trust that it just is.

I’ll check it out. Thanks.

Not better, but:

regarding Negativo17 vs RPMFusion

2 Likes

According to that link you posted it’s possible to install Nvidia drivers via gnome store right? I assume that’s the easiest and most automated way or maybe in wrong here.

1 Like

Again, I don’t know enough to have an opinion. I trust yours.

1 Like

You can do it that way, I think that’s the way Wendell does it. I’ve never done it that way.

I would give it a try but I can’t install the updates now. It’s stuck at 26% installing and when I hit escape it says "A start job is running for update the operating system whilst offline (9min 45sec / no limit)

It doesn’t seem to be doing anything.

Edit: rebooted the PC and it seems to be working now

You havent posted in an hour or so, hows it going?

Hey o solved this!!!
GDM3 starting with wayland!

Disable on

/etc/gdm3/custom.conf

uncomment

#WaylandEnable=false

to

WaylandEnable=false
1 Like

Hmm, could installing Kubuntu 19.04 instead also solve the issue?

Just make sure you have linux-headers installed (for version) and update mkinitcpio

That’s the most common issue with nvidia drivers these days.