Ubuntu doesn't boot after Nvidia 418 install

GTX 970. All I’ve done is install the os and immediately begin installing the Nvidia driver. I added the PPA and ran the command to start the install. After it tells me to reboot and I can’t boot after that.

1 Like

he needs to be in the system for that, he can’t boot tho. LiveCD + chroot maybe?

fedora workstation comes with gnome and just works™ out of the box. I was never a fan of the way grub 3 looked tbh

I’ve been thinking about looking into Mankato as I hear it’s currently the best for gaming. I need to do some more research before I decide on a distro I wanna stick with. Right now Ubuntu just isn’t doing it for me even if it is one of the most used distros out there.

1 Like

During the install did you select updates/drivers check boxes or leave them blank?

Trying to duplicate as accurate as possible.

DEAR SIR/MADAM

That’s it. Getting on Discourse to file a ticket. They’re literally discouraging DISCOURSE.

4 Likes

Fedora has a GUI installer right?

2 Likes

Yeah. It’s very user friendly.

1 Like

It does. Its a little different than the ubuntu one but not impossible to figure out. manjaro does as well.

Alright I’ll check out both. Thanks.

1 Like

another question I have, you said you dont like things about gnome, have you tried anything else?

1 Like

I think I tried KDE once but I had issues getting it installed. That was ages ago when I knew even less about Linux. I like gnome but my main issues with it was that it was slow and clunky but it seems like most of that has been fixed in the latest versions.

I can confirm gnome feels somewhat snappy on fedora. Its hard to go wrong with cinnamon since its basically the windows UI.

inb4 sink comes in here and recommends deepin

2 Likes

Yea I’m not really a fan of the windows UI on Linux. I feel like if I’m gonna move away from Windows I shouldn’t be holding onto a Windows lifeline. I would rather dive head first into Linux and get comfy instead of slowly migrating as I might be tempted just to stay on Windows.

1 Like

the problem with using a windows UI on linux, is that it deceives you into thinking that it should behave like windows does; which is incorrect. You’re setting yourself up for have the wrong mindset that way…

1 Like

Having a windows like UI doesnt make it a lifeline. Its all about ease of use. A DE shouldnt take away from the linux experience. For someone like me a start menu is muscle memory.

as long as you don’t have an issue reminding yourself that you arent using windows. It seems like many people do have that problem and make the mistake when they first get into linux. Like I said, it’s a mindset issue, but I digress. This is getting off topic…

1 Like

Yea I get that but I know for a fact if I have any issues I’ll feel obligated to go back to Windows where I know everything is just gonna work without and issues. I wanna feel like I’m using Linux and not an inbetween. Also I’m having a hard time getting Fedora to find my local disks.

I dont think I’ve ever met anyone who had that problem but fair enough… moving on.

show us where you’re at

After a few reboots my hard drive shows up now. I’m not really sure how to use the Fedora installer but it’s doing an automatic install right now. I was going to manually setup the partitions but it gave me an error so I just used auto.