Ubuntu 19.10 + flavors

It’s out, I am downloading Kubuntu right now.

http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/

5 Likes

First thought, It looks like a lil’ baby otter:

3 Likes

Check out JB coverage. ZFS on root is experimental for a reason :kissing_heart:

3 Likes

What is that cursor? Does Ubuntu use a beachball as well?

1 Like

Support on 19.10 goes until when?

I didn’t catch up on their roadmap yet.

Is it valid till 20.04 comes out?

Yeah, and then some. I believe it’s 9 month for the non LTS.

1 Like

Sweet. Dumb me had installed 19.04 a month ago. 5 days later I discover it would lose support around january.

Then had to switch drives.

1 Like

It’s the spinning timer. Like a clock with no hands

1 Like

I didn’t realise Jim Salter was on TS.
I read a article by him a couple of years ago, and was pretty impressed.
Then came across his article on Ars about 19.10 with zfs on root.
That was a fun rabbit hole

1 Like

grafik
Who thought, that THIS would be a good color combination? It looks like some colorblind mode (Maybe intended?).

Edit:
Something is REALLY off with my installation in virtualbox

Screenshot with Epilepsy Warning...

• gnome-tweaks doesn’t recognize the extensions being off/on, can’t change their state but their Settings…
  • Wallpaper changes only partially, or overlap each other like in the screenshot
  • Desktop Icons Are on Top of each other, after disabling and enabling one of them
  • The dock is only partially transparent, becomes opaque when i leave it with the mouse, and transparent when i enter. It feels like the other way around would make more sense?

And that’s only 5 Minutes in on a fresh install with nothing but guest additions installed. Might be Virtualbox might be not.

Please hide it under a spoiler with an epilepsy warning, that background is too much in the morning.

1 Like

Didn’t even think about that. Thanks for pointing it out. Done.

1 Like

I was half joking but yeah it is intense.

Anyway any theming problems with Gnome and snaps? I saw it was a mess with Plasma, changing mousecursors, window theme’s etc. That and the slower startup seems to me like there’s quite a ways to go for snaps. Maybe it will be ready for primetime with 20.04?

I have lubuntu in a virtualbox currently and it is pretty snappy, can recommend for that use case. :+1:

Might give it a spin in a VM, though i’m still sticking with Pop on the main tower

Lol true. But his example was remedied roughly a week ago. ZFS should be less experimental now :wink:

I downloaded Kubuntu 19.10 and am doing a backup of several things right now before I install it and give it a go. Pretty stoked, though. All of my endeavors to get ZFS root on Linux have been unsuccessful, and my understanding is this works out of the box, similar to FreeBSD.

1 Like

It can work out-of-the-box.
Chris said you can either:

• Set it up after install
  • Or select it during install, which will wipe your drive! No options here.

BTW the installer will tell you it’s using EXT4 when in fact prepping ZFS :slight_smile:

1 Like

So, put Ubuntu 19.10 on my 500G SSD to try it out (again).
I don’t know why, but i always feel like i’m beyond ubuntu by now. I know it’s “wrong” to say so, but installing ubuntu often “feels” like a downgrade over Fedora or Debian.

And every single time it’s pretty much flawless. And it’s like that again. There are some gripes i have with how they handle gnome. They add extensions you can’t disable and the theme is meh at best.
Installing “vanilla-gnome-session” fixes that though.

I did not go for the ZFS install. Not sure why i would with a single disk. I also don’t think the installer does a great job explaining what ZFS is, but i hope they change that when it’s out of experimental stage.
Other than that, it’s solid as ever. So, until Fedora has a new ISO i can boot on Ryzen 3000, i’m back on Ubuntu. And i expected worse.

Fedora 31 works flawlessly for me (aside from the front panel audio only bug - but thats tied to my mobo)

*edit - forgot to say im on a 3800x

1 Like

no vanilla gnome

Gnome got Microsoft