Ubiquiti APs high jitter and packet loss with iOS devices

So it is nothing new that Apple’s wifi hardware is full of headaches… I had a user lose 80Mbps of download speed from his fucking Apple Bluetooth keyboard causing interference… now I’ve got a really confusing one

In a deployment with three UAPs, iOS devices (new or not) experience up to 3-10 seconds of packet loss intermittently and latency from 30ms-1s between my laptop and any iOS device on the network regardless of location. I have ruled out interference I think. Samsung phones and my laptop all have <3ms latency between any AP, my router, and 20ms to the Interwebz. I had bandwidth issues before with Apple devices that were resolved by changing the channel width to HT20 for 2.4G and VHT20 for 5G. Doing that here seems to have had some effect on packet loss, along with lowering the transmit power, I am only dropping one or two every 1-2 mins. But the jitter is still the same. Things are now functional, but this worries me… I would like to know what the fucking deal is with these Apple radios

Nobody on the UBNT forums has a real answer and there are several long threads about it. It is honestly rare to have someone super knowledgeable chime in there without waiting 6 months. I can’t just tell people not to use Apple… though I wish I could

There is an option in unifi controller settings for the uap. I believe it is low power mode. Turn that off. Apparently Apples implementation is not in spec so it does not play nicely with unifi products

Same issue in my office with just one older UAP. Co-workers S9 works fine, bosses iPhone X works fine, but my iPhone 7 drops. Sometimes 2s latency.

Are Apple fucking retards? I get that it’s in their interest for you to be in their ecosystem, but the problem is people leave their damn houses! I left Android for the 7 but I am definitely never buying another Apple product. The whole ease of use thing doesn’t hold up at all anymore…

1 Like

Can’t view the link

Screenshot_1

yea it is that one i guess you may have another problem. If that was unchecked by default. I have not looked too far into it but see if turning off low power mode on the iphone helps

That doesn’t work either /: That setting is unchecked by default I believe

does location of apple products in relation to uap have a difference of effect?

Nope. Basically had the iPhone and iPad stuck to the AP at different points during testing.

Now at my office, with an older AP, turning the 5G channel width the HT20 from HT40 seems to have fixed the issue at least here. But at the original site I was troubleshooting there was only the option for “VHT.” Dunno what that means. My latency is a lot lower in my office now but I’m still getting long periods of drops.

i assume all latest firmware and such on unifi products

Yup. My controller might be slightly behind but that’s it.

What AP models are you using?

I have lite and pro models in 90%+ Apple environments and haven’t run into this issue.

AP-LR v2s actually

how close are they to each other

40-50 feet maybe. It’s a big sports bar

maybe try turning one off that is say in the middle between the other two and change the others back to auto power transmission and see if that helps

Yeah that’s what is confusing me. I haven’t seen this until now and I’ve been using these products for over 2 years

1 Like

Will do, next time I’m on site. The setup is more complicated than I described, but the jist is the same. I actually have one AP in the ceiling close to an exterior wall for the “Beer Garden” and it is dedicated to servicing the POS iPads that the waitresses use outside. Connecting my laptop to it, or connecting to the iPads to the main guest network yields the same results either way. UniFi is not reporting much interference, and while I’m not an expert on the physics of WiFi the results from my laptop tell me that this is some sort of software bug

I am thinking with the LR that you may just have an anomaly of the three and apple devices trying to jump between them and something is not working out very well in the interim. That may be the packet drops and such. Also I assume there is only one ssid and channel you are using for these apple products to connect to? Reason I ask is that if you have same ssid on both 2.4 and 5ghz they may be blindly jumping between those two for some weird reason

Maybe that’s it. I think I am losing my mind at this point, that makes sense but on site yesterday I disabled the 2.4G and 5G and tested both one at a time, didn’t seem to do much. Let me try that in my office with just one AP. The SSID for the iPads is only being broadcast off that one AP though