Twitch is (very) close to winning the battle against adblockers

He is saying that the type of user to not be patient enough for an ad is not the type of user you’d want to have as an audience.

1 Like

I feel like you are assuming too much about him here.

So your argument is essentially everyone will stop watching everything on Twitch and the platform will die because no one can handle watching a brief ad first?

This.

People like that are not regular, returning viewers and are not how you grow a channel

1 Like

if that were the case everyone would stop watching twitch all together, eventually you have to watch a preroll.

that may be the case

1 Like

What’s an ad I haven’t seen that in years (prime/turbo)

99% of people still have 2 second attention spans.

You can’t know that.

4 Likes

67% of statistics are made up on the spot.

3 Likes

i thought this was about passion not success for failure?

3 Likes

A) That is not true.

B) If it is then it is doubtful they are going to return and help you grow your channel making it a moot point.

Seriously, to grow a channel you need dedicated, regular viewership spurred by good content. Ads won’t get in the way of that. If you’re legitimately blaming your channel’s lack of growth on pre-roll ads, the basic standard in online advertising that everyone is used to by now, then I think you need to reevaluate your content because that is actually what is stalling growth. Bad/boring content people don’t want to watch in the first place. Not ads.

4 Likes

Please keep this thread on-topic. I will clean this up if I have to.

5 Likes

Please do.

Nothing is going to change the modern attention span. The habit won’t change for the majority of people that prefer to background tab stuff or just glance at the first few seconds and move on.

Content and audience building are still valid arguments, but people won’t give thought to someone who’s struggling if the platform becomes obnoxious.

Outright saying “You’re bad at content creation” is the worst possible thing to say to people struggling to make ends meet for engagement. SUPPORT content creators, don’t beat them down and say “You’re bad at this, you should feel bad.”

I have started streaming and on average get about 10-18 people stick their heads in to see what’s going on, and only about 3 stick around for the content. If they think the content is bad, i’d rather know so I can adjust what I do so as to better suit my audience.

At the end of the day, I do it for fun, if people want to watch and be a part of it, that just makes it more fun.

No feedback is worse then bad feedback, without any feedback your clueless as to how to adjust and fix your channel to be more enticing.

As for Ads, I hate the things with a passion, but at the end of the day Twitch have to pay their hosting costs and people need to remember that they are a business. Their goal is to make money.

And the argument earlier is that it shouldn’t be for fun, it’s a business. Only running it like a business will make it thrive…

You’re in a bad trap when you bring up a follower goal and then “hypocritically” saying it’s for fun. My biggest fear was for early streamer engagement, and that still applies, yet progression seems to be seen as a “business model” in action rather than having fun.

And the more they make, the closer Jeff Bezos gets to his Amazon Moon Base. (No joke, I think that’s Blue Origin’s goal)

Nobody is saying this.

Personally, I know for a fact that I am boring, and any Twitch stream that I have ever done was boring. I am bad at content creation, and that is ok. I’m not upset about it, because I do it for fun and my own personal enjoyment, when I have the time.

Trying to force a stream into existence is no way to go about things. We aren’t telling you to give up, but you gotta re-evaluate your outlook on this.

Streaming should be done for fun first, and then be turned into a job later if you find success. Not the other way around. And ads don’t discourage “discovery.” People will sit through 15 second ads to watch your stream. However, people will not sit through the same stream that they have seen 100 times over.

At the end of the day, streaming to try and gain an audience is difficult. You have to stand out from the crowd in some unique way in order to find success, and you have to be really lucky. My advice is to just do it for fun, because trying to force it will just make you even more miserable, and that demeanor will drag your stream down with it.

6 Likes

Which was my point before it was called hypocritical by the 50 follower argument. I was referring to that as a “nice to have” goal, not a must have, yet it got taken as “having fun” and “50 followers” means you’re a hypocrite.

Having goals and doing something for fun aren’t mutually exclusive.

RIGHT, worst trap you can end up in with both ideologies clashing.

Yet progress can easily confuse that at the moment of transition to the next tier… You talk about progress, you get called out for goals and not caring… You don’t talk about goals, your stream stagnates… And balancing fun within that… good luck.

Who cares? He is a successful business man, just because he has done well for himself doesn’t mean he has to stop. For many running a successful company is like a game, it’s not about the money, but the satisfaction the work gives. The best way to rate the success of a company is how much it earns.

I couldn’t agree more.

That said, this discussion needs to get back on topic, which is about blocking ads. If it cant stay on topic I will lock the thread.