Twitch is (very) close to winning the battle against adblockers

You can do packet filtering easily with off the shelf hardware and software.

It’s very easy to make interstitial ads that can’t be completely blocked. Twitch controls the video they send you, so they can simply not send the actual content unless you display the ad first. No way around that, unless they mess up their implementation.

Of course you have root on your computer so you can mute the audio and put a black box over the ad, but you’ll still need to wait the 30 seconds or whatever before you watch your content. That sucks, but it’s infinitely better than watching an ad.

Yes. It’s no big deal right now.

a 20 - 30 second ad is no big deal at the start of a stream. Of course if they put them inbetween streams every 15 - 25 mins and then start rolling 3,4 or 5 ads in a row like Cable TV every 15 - 25 mins then i think im done with twitch then :frowning:

1 Like

Well, that depends on your sensitivity to advertisements. I go to extreme lengths to avoid ads. They really bug me, and interstitials are the worst of the worst.

2 Likes

I wouldnt mind ads before a stream every so often but a 30 sec ad before every stream when your not subbed to a channel is to much

1 Like

If they can make it benefit the streamer then im okay. Again, if it even goes near the length of a cable TV ad length or frequency im not using twitch anymore… i think a lot of people will look for alternatives then.

Looks like Decentralized video streaming is the future.

1 Like

All they care about is that you fail to discontinue Twitch Prime trial by making it super multi layered turd

1 Like

Double layer next-gen firewall that crack open the packets and deletes/replaces content?

Yes you would need something similar to black-out interstitials on devices where you can’t sideload software and don’t have root, like iOS.

Double layer next-gen firewall that crack open the packets and deletes/replaces content?

“Damn thats a nice Epyc machine, what are you running on there? 4k video encoding?”
“Oh, thats my home brew adblocker, I call it the packet inquisition.”

5 Likes

Twitch has won.

People have had success though using a VPN to countries without Amazon’s “SureStream” peering servers like Romania and Hungary… But that’s yet another bandaid. Twitch has once and for all won so that uBlock is unable to intercept without producing interruptions, only specialized tools can “bandaid” the requests now.

Is it that big of a deal?

When you’re trying to get around obnoxiusness, yes. Big streamers run ads every 5 minutes.

Gross, at that point I’d find something else to spend my time doing. Still better than cable however.

2 Likes

Even Twitch Prime users are no longer guaranteed to not see ads. You must pay ON TOP of Prime for Turbo.

MORE MONEY FOR JEFF BEZOS.

The future of ads/adblock is a zero sum AI war.

Finally a use for all these innovative Threadripper™ cores

1 Like

This may be required when Amazon decides to abandon standards (cause right now, they’re using a Cable TV cueing standard to switch MPEG-TS segments on the fly) and goes rogue to not even give a hint to client side stuff to what is a ad and what isn’t.

SCTE-35 is a ANSI standard they’re following right now, but they can choose at any moment to abandon standards to at all costs make sure EYEBALLS see what big companies pay millions for.

If you have such a big problem with the platform why do you even use it? I am assuming you do, anyway.

Chilling effect on people who struggle to hit 50 followers for affilate, that’s why.

Attention span nowadays is 2 seconds or less. Unskippable pre-rolls make sure anyone hopping streams don’t get the view they deserve cause their attention span has lapsed.

This hurts people who have 0-49 followers the most. Would you be open to discovery if EVERY stream had a pre-roll and you had a modern attention span? No.

1 Like

That’s a good point, but if they triggered ads two minutes after starting a stream, that could trivially be used to bypass their ads.