Titel to be (un-)determined

how are we moving away from each other faster than light?

again you wouldn't notice if we were - as we would ourselves be expanding at constant rate matching speed of light.

If only 7% of the universe are matter and energy, what are the 93% that are left?
There you got your reference! A train moves on tracks, the tracks move because the earth moves. Or does it?
The frame you take to look at something must be given or else, it has to be seen without the frame. My dot example works because there are no space or time dimensions and c has an unknown value.

1 Like

yeah but both energy and matter are the same thing. Its just a wave of sorts behaving differently in certain predispositions.

According to @AngryNun they are not when they move... OUTCH, a circle closed!

2d objects are hard, but you went ahead and made 1d object.

Nope, I went 0d because a dot (as seen in mathematics) has no dimension. Or did I?

the point has 1 dimension, 0d there wouldn't be a point. *but you are right.

"In particular, the geometric points do not have any length, area, volume, or any other dimensional attribute. (Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Point_(geometry))"

i know you are correct, but 0d there wouldn't be a point thinking about it, or looking for it.

1 Like

Ok first off just bc there is nothing there doesnt mean it doesnt have a dimension. we live in a 4D world. 3 space elements and an ever moving forward time element(we think).

for my train ex

If you are driving next to the train at 60mph and look over and the train isnt moving you could say the train has 0 speed relative to you. if you are biking and you are going 30mph and you see the train moving past at 30mph you can say the train is moving at 30mph relative to you. if you are standing still and the train passes you then you can say the train is moving 60mph. Does the train have three different speeds? no of course not its all reference frame. how ever no matter what reference frame you look at it the speed of light is always c. it doesnt matter how fast or how slow you are moving. c is always what light is. that c can depend on certain things but it is always c.

As for you 0D case thats impossible. you cant move in 0D. you need a dimension to move in. also computers are dumb. you can easily write a program that has a ball moving faster than the speed of light in its reference frame. who cares. Point is that you can not tell speed with out a reference frame. even if you are going 99% the speed of light the light you observe will still be c compared to your reference frame. And if you have no space or time dimensions how in gods name do you have a unit of m/s. you need two dimensions for things to work in physics and only one has to be space and the other time.

as for matter and energy being the same. yes they are. even when they move. E=mc^2 is just fine for non moving objects. but as soon as it moves you need the other part of the equation. After all E is a scalar product. c is a vector and so is p momentum.

And as for everthing is expanding at the speed of light cool. whatever doesnt change the fact that the speed of light in your reference frame is still c.

a constant, but we are constant - how is this any different from the other?

other what?

I went with the 0D example to bring you back (in a book the main character would say a sentence like: "I though I lost you out there. You seemed to be somewhere else"). The frame of reference must be given at all given scenarios, you named it.
E=mc² works, the relativity calculations because of time or pulse do not matter as the formula does not see the world as a two-body but as single object problem. HOWEVER there is a different formula for objects at rest and one for increase in mass at speeds above "0.8*(2.9979*10^8m/s)" (realtive to a not moving observer).

I am offline for today, bye.

E=sqrt((mc^2)^2+(pc)^2)) is the most general formula.

E is enegery m is mass c is the speed of light constant for that refrance frame and p is MOMENTUM
how can you calcualte and engery with out factoring speed.
are you saying that an object with mass moving at 80% the speed of light doesnt has KE?
bc it does and a lot of it
its just like Fg=mg it is not. this only works for near surface Earth

other wise its Fg=G (m1*m2)/r^2

by speeding up object - iron ball - lets say 80% of speed of light. What kind of damage would it do to your body? Would it be reflected by your skin? or would it cause super nova ;) ... or maybe it would just fly through you and you wouldn't know it ever did (not that you died, you simply haven't felt - or was affected in any way by it.)

http://what-if.xkcd.com/1/
90% of the speed of light.
I'm sure the same thing would happen.
You and your whole town would vaporize.

Everyone seems to forget how fast c is. I'll give you a hint. Space crafts go about 10 to 15 km/s. And when they reenter its a fireball. Now let's go idk say 20,000 times faster.

problem is there are particles flying a very high speeds, they penetrate our bodies and we are ok as if nothing passed through us. We use deuterium (heavy water) to slow it down to watch stars or so i remember it was.

1st if you actually did send a ball or whatever at near speeds of lights none of those effects would form. as your material would either explode on start or simply disrepair turning into a wave.