Throw in the towel on water cooler for 3900X?

Well the vrm on this particular board is actually pretty poor.
So that could also be partially your issue.

Well, in all fairness, those AIO pumps tend to like being run closer to their max.

Your definition of ā€œbad VRMā€ and other peopleā€™s definition of bad VRM tends to differ significantly. You have the highest of standards lol

Well yeah a 4 phase vcore vrm with doubled up components per phase.
With those not so great Onsemi 4C010N and 4C06N discrete mosfetsā€¦
HW unboxed also tested a couple of x570 boards vrm performance,
with several cpuĀ“s like the 3900X.
And that particular test also shows that boards like the Msi x570 Gaming plus were not really capable handling a 3900X very well.
They actually failed the test.
And those particular boards use slightly better Onsemi 4C029N and 4C026NĀ“s,
i believe out the top of my head.
So that his particular board is having issues with handling a 3900X,
does not really suprise me that much honnestly.

On stock settings it should be okayish probablly.
But a 3900X will definitelly push that vrm to its limits when,
puting some heavy workloads on it.

oh shit, only 4 phase?

uhh yeah, thatā€™d probably be stretching it for a 3900x.

Yeah only doubled up components per phase.
But those mosfets themselfs arenĀ“t particulary great either.
Iā€™m not saying that his issue is 100% board / vrm related.
But i do have to point out that the 3900X with that particular board,
isnā€™t really a great match so to speak.

The thing is that I have a similar issue with my 3900x and Iā€™m on a Phantom Gaming B550 itx something or other. I picked it because it had good VRM for an ITX. I think the 3900x was just an autistic CPU.

1 Like

I know it isnā€™t a great match. I have turbo turned off and have no issues.

I plan to replace the board soon with a nice X570 board, but Iā€™m also waiting to see what the next chipset will have and thinking about a 5900X if I have a series 1 3900X.

One thing at a time though.

It was built for what Iā€™m using it for, and nothing else. The IO die is specifically just good to have as a separate unit rather than integrated into the CCXā€™s.

I have no desire to run ā€œNormalā€ spec lol. Gotta hab some BEEFB

1 Like

It could definitelly also be just a bit of a bad batch 3900X cpu as well.
I believe there has been a pretty poorly first batch of those chips yes.
Same was true for the first 3700X chips i believeā€¦

I bought it when the XT came out, so Iā€™d think itā€™d be fine. Off newegg and all that.

1 Like

Yeah, having the cores for cross compiling arm stuff is really nice.

VFIO and VM stuff, some big data stuff like repo management / surgery, then fast small data with paralell compiling.

Its a sexy chip when used correctly. Course the same is said for a gigaccel x8i butā€¦ who has those now

1 Like

Maybe you could try an air cooler.
And maybe you could place a dedicated fan towards the vrm area.
Normally a 3900X should do pretty fine with a good enough aircooler really.
Those clcā€™s can be a hit or miss.
There are definitelly some pretty good units out there.
But if you have a good airflow possible case.
Then i think that Aircooling would perform just as well as most clcā€™s out there.
Of course custom loop setups are a bit of a different story.
However in my honnest opinion i donĀ“t think that custom loop systems,
are really worth the investment for a mainstream system.
In regards to Threadripper thatā€™s of course a different story.

I have somewhat a ridiculous demand when it comes to cooling my PC actually. I hate having the room BAKE in the summer, so CPU temps basically being halted at 65C is my big goal. With just video editing, linux code work, and games, my current setup does that fine. I want better later on tho. Maybe even have a peltier involved.

Because I can really at that point.

Of course nothing wrong with getting a new clc either.
I mean there are definitelly better units out there then your old H100Ā“s.
Iā€™m personally not a huge fan of clcā€™s mainly because of the additional potential pump failure.
However units have become a lot a better then the H100ā€™s and H80Ā“s of the time. :slight_smile:

And of course my personal preference doesnā€™t really matter much at this point haha.

Well really what I want is for the system to be per-series upgradeable. Iā€™m not gunna get GPU specific coolers, Iā€™m just going to get generic ones that will be intercompatible, at least if I can. I want the case, cooler, and drives to all be one whole unit, basically.

If its possible to have a peltier in a water loop, Iā€™d totally do that and hold CPU at like 10. Thatā€™d be great. Then I could OC and not really give a shit, thatā€™d be great.

The hero we need.

1 Like

The 3900X doesnā€™t require water cooling at all, in fact there have been several reviews pitting the stock cooler that ships with the 3900X and a AIO cooler, turns out thereā€™s not much in it, around 100Mhz in it and thatā€™s within margin of error. Iā€™ve been running a 3900X (on a MSI X570 Unify) with a Noctua NH-D15 for some time and itā€™s super quiet, even under heavy load. If you want a HSF thatā€™s a little more ā€œstylishā€ then maybe a BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4.

Cool. Iā€™ve wanted a water cooler in my pc since I ever found out they were a thing. This was the fastest way to get one and it dappens to work.

Point of the thread at this point is openloop.

Reposting

I need critique.

K2 is not in loop.

Check thermal paste application, if youā€™re overclocking, maybe donā€™t.

Folding @ home pushes your machine pretty hard.

Itā€™s possible your cold plate may have moved and dislodged some paste or something creating a void?

1 Like