Throw in the towel on water cooler for 3900X?

Do you have a better input than that. I know EK has good shit, everyone does. But like would you recommend an aio, or open loop, what comysponents, etc.

Did that stupid corsair aio but not aio tower cooler ever come out?

No idea about that one but they did make a tower cooler that was either pretty good or absolute garbage depending on how the QA was doing that day.

Wait I remember it was an all in one phase change cooler.

What happened to that?

Air or custom loop. Nothing in between.

Iā€™m on a EK custom loop and I hit 70c full load on my 3900x at 4.15GHz. (water temp 30c)

Itā€™sā€¦ yeah, the early 3900x is just a bad CPU.

Huh. I wonder if I have an early one somehow. It freaks the fuck out when turbo is turned on.

Itā€™s possible. What motherboard?

Aorus Ultra Gamirg x470

Shoulda bought the asus x570p been kicking my self in the ass since the day I left chicago last year

Hmmm, should be okay then.

Nah, you dodged a bullet.

Asus boards were reported to be chucking too much voltage at the CPU, causing it to just run too hot.

Thats exactly what it does.

Latest bios?

You might need to fuck with the boost tables.

Crashes and blows up chipsets. Already tried f50, Iā€™m apparently lucky my flashback still worked.

I can oc up to 4.25 manually before the board freaks out.

Yeah, sounds like youā€™ve got an early chip. If you can get the serial number, you can check.

God fucking dammit

Can I get a redo?

Are you fucking kidding me I even bought it when the xt came out

Well Iā€™ll get some paste tonight. Borrow a tube from a friend maybe

I genuinely donā€™t know dude. I suspect you might, but thatā€™s just by the reaction from running it out of spec.

1 Like

Knowing my luck youā€™re probably right lol.

Alright I think my problem was dust and the pump wasnā€™t set to performance. I now have everything set up and its now acting completely normal. Like it was during the summer.

I will absolutely be looking into open loop cooling, however I need a few things figured out first. Mainly, the mapping of my HAF XB EVO. Heres what I was thinking for Radiator setup, but I need yallā€™s opinion:

Iā€™m not gunna be able to fit a res unless its external.

Alternatively, to having a rad in the back, since its an XB, I have a 200MM mount on top. Can I use that?

I spin my DDC at 1800rpm and I get plenty of cooling. Though, you have a lot of stuff in your loop. 3 GPUs and a CPU? You might need more rippums.

Nevermind, thatā€™s a proposed diagram, not current.

Looks good to me, Iā€™d consider adding a small res right before, and higher than the pump. It makes pump priming and reducing air bubbles hitting the impeller extremely easy. Unless youā€™re going to go with a pump/res combo unit.

The pump will go in the bottom part of the case by the hard drives, and likely I will need a different power supply with super sleek cables.

Iā€™m not really going to have room for a res, unless I had it above the CPU.

Also, know anything about watercooling a Grid K2? Otherwise I plan to have it air only, as in the diagram.

Also just for note, the H100i is fine again. Lel.

1 Like

Nope, not sure. And Iā€™d make sure you can get waterblocks for those other cards on the bay before you start the process. The 970 should be easy, but the 480 is old, Iā€™m not sure itā€™ll be easy to find one for it.