Threadripper 32 core with thunderbolt 3

Intel probably fixed whatever bug that was allowing it to work on an unsupported system?

Buy another card, use the firmware tool to download that firmware? Or maybe another kind soul here would do the same?

This is what I was thinking as well which is why they dont show backwards compatible files on the site. This is a huge problem for me. Thanks for the input. If anyone can help Ill be eternally grateful. I have sessions that depend on it.

Anyone know of a better thunderbolt PCI card to use over the gigabyte titan ridge? I thought I would try the Alpine Ridge version 1.

I’m waiting for Intel and the USB-IF to fully release USB 4.0 before investing in any sort of add-on card… well that, and I don’t have any hard pressing applications for TB at the moment.

Isn’t Alpine Ridge the older version of TB 3?

1 Like

If USB 4 pci card comes out then you think it will make it possible for AMD Threadripper to connect to thunderbolt 3 devices?
Yes, It is an older version of TB3… I had the older firmware version of the Titan and it worked…

That’s what I hope. I mean it’s a good sign that AMD is starting to warm up to Thunderbolt, they even included it on some x570 boards. USB 4 is supposed to be cross compatible with Thunderbolt 3, so :man_shrugging: fingers crossed!

1 Like

If anyone is interested in purchasing the Threadripper 32 with the Aorus Xtreme motherboard from me I think Im going to go Intel just so I can get back to work. (Not trying to make this a selling site just thought it might be of interest to someone in this convo.

There is a Buy/Sell/Trade part of the forum if you want to post it there.

Sorry to hear it is not working out. It is a huge shame that Intel continue to be dicks like this when thunderbolt is supposed to be a free platform now. Guess this just the last thing they can use to get back at AMD now they are losing market share.

1 Like

So it turns out this may be dch driver related or not. I am posting a how-to in the how-to section with what I’ve learned.the dch drivers are turds presently even on the Intel platform .

Reinstalling windows as a last resort probably works.

1 Like

I had the same problem. It’s because of the firmware (NVM43). Sadly Icouldn’t find a software-firmware-file arround. So I sent the gc-titan-ridge to a kind hackintosh fellow, who transfered the old V23 Firmware via EEPROM Flash. Now averything is working fine after the usual warmboot.

Crossposting this, it looks to me that the pic in the other thread is actually shorting pins 1 and 3. There is an arrow on the other side of the connector pointing to pin 1. Hoping for clarity before I try this!

Heya. Found this thread while searching for x570 mobos with thunderbolt headers. Does the shorting of the gc-titan-ridge card work with any board? (trx40, x570, or otherwise)

How i can use Cg titan bridge in x399 designare , bios not support thunderbolt and i install titan in pci express x 4 and motherbord does not recognize it

Mostly yes? But no hotppug.

2 Likes

Need to install card in Intel system and make sure flash is up to date. Then swap over to other system

1 Like

Can be install in any Intel motherboard or it has to be in one of the compatible list ?

ideally one with a tb header but I got the install software to upgrade the flash on a haswell system so ymmv

2 Likes

sorry for so many questions but all this thunderbolt is to connect a thunderbolt display monitor.
anyone know how i can do it without the gc titan i don’t think there is a thunderbolt 2 connector to hdmi or displayport. sorry for my english

I think with the dp passthrough that works with just power to the card?

could you show me some?

with a thunderbolt dock would it work?