Threadripper 3000 Pre-Launch Megathread

Yeah, when the b450 and x470 motherboards can support 3rd gen ryzen with a bios update, then how come that’s not the same for x399?
Sure you loose pcie 4, but so does the b450 amd x470 boards…

1 Like

They opened up more pcie lanes

I doubt it is the socket, more the tracelayout on the mobo. The “repeaters” on X570 are much more numerous than on X370.

Also:

I feel the same way. I want like a 12 or 16 core zen2 with all the cache and pcie lanes of threadripper

2 Likes

Honestly if there was an x570 what was 4x 8 pcie 3.0 (could be done) then i would be fine

Not sure about the good deal part now for new entrants into HEDT. Agreed, the platform is more stable but from upgradeability pov, its a dead-end.

The 2920X can already being found for like €350,-
Still a killer deal if you ask me. :slight_smile:

But yeah pretty exciting about the new stuff.
I already made a TRX40 mobo topic for the vrm stuff etc.

2 Likes

2920x is a great deal at microcenter.

Literally hyperventilating right now. There is so much good info in all these Mobo leaks.

2 Likes

The low end 2nd gen CPU are a decent deal but the motherboard are a rip-off… What do retailers plan to do with the obsolete x399 motherboards once the CPU inventory is depleted?

I wonder what is going on with the Designare TRX40 whole Gigabyte TRX40 lineup.

On the Internal I/O connections section of the specs page, it lists

1 x GIGABYTE GC-TITAN RIDGE Add-in Card Connector

On the user’s manual box contents section (Designare), it lists

One GC-TITAN RIDGE Add-in Card

And the THB_C header is shown in the mobo layout graph.
But nowhere in the whole document the word ‘Thunderbolt’ appears.
About using the header, it says

1. THB_C (GIGABYTE GC-TITAN RIDGE Add-in Card Connector)
    This connector is for a GIGABYTE GC-TITAN RIDGE add-in card which two USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type-C™ ports are able to daisy-chain as a total up to 6 devices and 5V/3A quick power charge support.

Any bets this will be silently removed and end up like the X399 EX, really only work with USB, or it will actually work with TB3, but Gigabyte can’t outright say?

Soon ™

I’m kinda hankering for PCIE lanes too. But I’m torn, because I’m old and remember things. I remember that I now need Threadripper to do something my ancient X79 micro ATX system can do, running two GPUs at full 16x / 16x, and still have 8x PCIE slots to spare. On a quad channel memory setup. It’s sad we have to spend so much money now just because of market segmentation (aka ‘enthusiast rape’), but I digress.

I think I’m all in for Threadripper of some kind. But I’d prefer to maintain dual GPUs at 16x / 16x (for no good reason), and also be able to use a 16x NVME card and stack it with 4 2TB drives in RAID0 (also for no good reason). From what I’ve seen, no current motherboard other than the MSI MEG Creation can do this. But that could be misleading marketing too. If anyone could enlighten me on this, I’d appreciate it.

So if I want full 16x / 16x / 16x PCIE lanes on 3 slots, what do I do? Buy current TR40 on sale? Or wait?

Just my personal experience here, i replaced my x79 Xeon workstation/server with 2nd gen ripper. X79 was is much better at VFIO but the ripper is so much faster. Get the CPU load to 5 and the Xeon was choking like crazy. Had the ripper up to a load of 14 and didn’t notice a single hiccup.

Yeah that was kinda suprising.
However from motherboard design perspective,
i can totally understand it why.

1 Like

Will very much like to see your investigation Wendell, You might just save me making a X299 Taichi XE purchase for a 10920X if your case for Threadripper 3000 is compelling enough for VFIO and Thunderbolt.