Ryzen 3000 & Navi Megathread | Level One Techs

In Miami Winter is 90deg so… I think my scores will go down.
I have a mini split in my office; that’s how my scores are so high :rofl:

Prepare for a lot of Monolith references tomorrow.

How come?

Threadripper 3 packaging is a dark slab. Very monolith like.

I see, I’m just a bit pissed about the lack of TR4 support… they should have supported the old boards without the new features.
Likely though they are being pushed by the mobo vendors who are already upset that x399 boards have been cannibalized by AM4 after Ryzen 3000.

More likely, AMD looked at how some X399 boards were just barely in spec, some needing fan kits or recieving upgrades/overhauls when 2nd Gen TR was released.
From that, it is not a bad decision to save themself from “so, my new computer caught fire”-videos and just push a new platform.

Where were all you people crying bloody murder over a new socket when Intel was doing it? Dafuq?

1 Like

lol was expecting the same thing but I have to admit if they allowed 2 gens to be on the same boards before bringing a new socket then that’s better than intel already, I feel in a worse timeline intel has a motherboard based on if you have an i3/i5/i7; so we could be in a worse position lol

1 Like

I definitely was upset when Intel was doing it. I just hoped for a TR4 Gen 3 TR.
For EPYC you can use Gen3 chips on 1st gen SP4 motherboards.

Not true. Some boards are moddable but none of the oems support this because the behavior is unpredictable. The smu is a big problem. Even just beyond turning off pce gen4.

The pilot rome systems were all modded Naples boards but there is more to it than that. I got to go though the needed changes with an ee … and I would describe Rome on a Naples board as accidentally happens to work mostly (with mods)

2 Likes

Oh wow, I didn’t know it was so complicated.
Forrest Norrod said that Rome would be a drop in.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/14568/an-interview-with-amds-forrest-norrod-naples-rome-milan-genoa

They even mentioned it at the Rome keynote. So I didn’t think it would be so complicated; although I did read on some other message boards that most every OEM isn’t supporting it and doesn’t plan to support it.

@wendell what reviewers have got the golden ticket and will have performance reviews on remember, remember the 25th of noverber :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Sorry if i’ve not read the last 200 Posts, i haven’t followed this thread in a while.
For my MSI B450m Board there is a Beta Bios with ComboPI1.0.0.4 Patch B out. Any meaningfull differences in terms of performance/thermals on that one over ABBA?

Better multicore thread scheduling, at the cost of lower single core performace is what I’m gauging.

1 Like

I think with the IO die windows does not see the topology it does with a 2990wx etx…

Will be fun to see gaming at the 4.5Ghz max boost vs AM4 4.7Ghz on the 3950X. After all the monsterous cache. Even at 4.5Ghz a lot of ram can be closer to the CPUs

Edit and considering AMD have left the gap between AM4 3950X and the new TR 24 core chip for the dead end MB platform TR 2000 is left on sale by AMD.

Is this what the overall consensus is? Did they drop voltage a bit which is making single core perfomance drop a bit?

Great news for me.

I updated my F30 system (which was at kernel 5.3.8-200) (r7 3700x and 5700xt) to F31 (in place upgrade) and the games I play on steam worked instantly. (F31 is the same/ish 5.3.8-300 kernel)

Rocket League in the menu on F30 was 1-2 fps… after the upgrade the menu is hitting the fps limit in the settings.

The menu for Rust was 1fps on F30 and is 99 fps after the F31 update.

OBS also now shows the GPU as an option for vaapi encoding.

woot!!

They actually now have a “cool” mode that will reduce power overall for lower temps. This is for SFF systems I’ve heard.

Which motherboard do you have? Sadly on my x370 there is nothing out other than the ABBA from last month.

Through the chipset driver?

1 Like

Are you referring to the supposed new “eco mode” or something else?

It adds final support for “Eco Mode,” accessible via Ryzen Master. Eco Mode brings AMD Configurable TDP (cTDP) technology to 3rd Gen Ryzen. With one button, you can run a 95W/105W model at 65W, or 65W models at 45W. This feature has been especially fun to use with the 3900X—12 cores at 65W! We know some of you have been very interested in a configuration like this, and now you can have it with the touch of a button. :slight_smile:
by AMDOfficial