Threadripper 3000 not for 2019

Not to get off topic, but you just baited me. Radeon VII is for gamers am I right or am I right?

1 Like

I am baitking and I don’t really mean to be.

Ie the icon.

Anyways, why is it so bad to hold threadripper back a few months? Do you know why?

They’re pumping production on epyc to build the biggest supercomputer in the world.

Or at least I assume thats why.

So how is any of this a bad thing again?

1 Like

You should really have transition your facetious process by now.

Get out, fight in the lounge.

The market disagrees.

Well, I needed a new workstation, and since AMD promised upgrades would be possible and I needed tons of PCIe lanes, I got an Asrock Taichi x399 and as a tie over until TR 3000 came along, I got a cheap (since already a year old) 1920x. I was hoping for lower power consumption with 7nm. TR is pretty thirsty when just idling. Maybe 24 cores.

But now Ryzen 3000 will come with lower power consumption and 16 cores. And more PCIe lanes. Which makes me wonder how they are going to position TR in future. And if they move it to next year, might they go for DDR5, requiring a motherboard upgrade?

See, I liked the upgrade idea. Get a system, pop in a new CPU when it comes out. None of that Intel ‘lets use a new socket just because we can’ ripoff business. At least for a couple of years you can plan your system and expenses. But what use is this upgrade path if AMD themselves throw a wrench in it? Ryzen does have a nice upgrade path laid out sofar, so I really find it odd they would drop the TR path, when people on that platform have invested much more. That certainly would make me doubt any promises they make in future. If they skip TR, leaving the 2950x as it is with Ryzen 3000 16 core at half the price or thereabouts, now that would really surprise me.

I get the Epyc business argument, but AMD had a really poor reputation until Zen came along. They still haven’t fixed that reputation fully yet. I don’t think they can afford to just say to enthusiasts that have paid the most ‘stuff it, no sweets for you this round’ and just feed the mass market new toys. If that sounds bitter, it’s not intended. It’s not like this is a huge investment, but it would certainly dent my trust in AMD and blemish the new reputation they’re building. Basically, if the roadmap stays like this, TR customers have just been degraded to the least important ones with AMD.

1 Like

I will, I just thought all the hardcore techies here would certainly already be up to date.

1 Like

Definitely not.
That’s coming with Zen 3.

1 Like

That still wouldn’t fly. TR platform is “high end”. How could they release a PCIe 4.0 mainstream platform and leave the high end at 3.0?

The socket doesn’t need to change for motherboards to support pcie4 and 8ch memory. Think tr4+ the way that the am3/am3+ transition happened.

If there is a high clock epyc variant in P config at a reasonable price I won’t miss threadripper all that much.

The 7371 epyc is a game changing part. It’s 4x4 cores (16 cores total like a 2950) but it’s a killer server CPU.

I’m sure we’ll get something updated for the tr4 socket though.

3 Likes

Zen3 is next year. If I remember correctly. I do recall the original Zen launch and the slides that circulated back then. DDR5 was for 2020.

Any good workstation mainboards for Epyc?

Not strange at all IMHO.

They have bulk orders for EPYC and people will be keen on Ryzen 3000. Also Ryzen 3000 series dies are likely to be going into PS5 and the new XBOX, so AMD will already be selling everything they can produce, is my bet.

In the HEDT segment, the 2950 and up already really have no competitor outside of some niche purposes.

AMD simply do not need to push Threadripper 3000 yet, and they’re probably better off using the dies in their other product lines.

Twice now you have mentioned this but I don’t think I have seen that as an actual confirmed part.

And you seem annoyed that you bought on assumptions rather than confirmed release dates. That’s not really AMDs or anyone else’s problem. Sorry.

1 Like

Yes this is a pretty likely scenario indeed.
Al though i have not really heard or seen any updates on new up coming boards yet with pcie-4 etc.
But given that Asrock has not really produced any new boards just yet,
could be some kind of indication that we might see new boards appear in Q4.
Or maybe Q1 next year.

Only Msi till now teased a X570 MEG board for Ryzen 3000 cpu’s.

You seem to be making a lot of assumptions about my assumptions. That’s not my problem, sorry :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Was just trying to say it is no use complaining about the motherboard you bought expecting a CPU exist.

On the upsaide, you can easily get a 2950x right now, or if you are worried about the still unconfirmed 16 core AM4 CPU there is the 2990wx.

Why wait?

You’re thinking purely on short term financial results. I’m more thinking in marketing terms and brand value. AMD would massively reduce the value of its Threadripper brand if they’d put it on the last place.

Just remember, the best dies go into Threadripper, not Ryzen. Threadripper gets the most of the tech capabilities of Zen, most PCIe lanes etc.

And now Ryzen gets almost a year’s head start on Zen2, gets PCIe 4.0 way before Threadripper? We’re not talking about just a professional product here - pro workstations usually get their CPUs from the server market. Not that there aren’t pro TR workstations, but you get my meaning. TR is an enthusiast brand. A FANBOY brand. For the fanatics. I doubt they’ll be happy about being demoted to private lowest class. AMD is simply not treating it as an enthusiast brand IF all this is going to happen as surmised now.

So I’m very curious if they’re going to say anything at all at Computex, or just completely ignore any questions in this regard. My original question was: anyone have better contacts or knows more.

Fine, it seems no one here knows anything more, I’ll have to wait until Computex!

They go into EPYC before anywhere else.

ThreadRipper does get better dies but not the best by any means. Ryzen gets the worse of the batch.

So they need to make a lot of dies first to bin enough for EPYC and Ryzen, first for the best to run the coolest and consume the least power for servers, then for the volume for Ryzen where the consumer money is. So the best and worst are called for immediately and ThreadRipper just has to wait for EPYC to have a comfortable cushion of chips and Ryzen to get through enough to for some to fall inbetween.

So it takes time. This is deliberate on AMDs part but not because they are punishing anyone just because that is how it has to work for them to make the money enough to indulge the fanboys that want ThreadRipper.

As for PCIe 4, would you want to be first out of the gate with your Enthusiast platform and Pro Workstations only to find they are a buggy mess. Ryzen will eat the bugs, PCIE 4 will have some and this will weed them out so that when ThreadRipper does come it can launch strong for those that need/want it. Consumers deal with problems so it is not a total disaster to have some bugs on new hardware but the enthusiasts will expect a higher level of quality for their money and the professionals will demand stability.

What ever way you cut it holding ThreadRipper back is not only the only way for AMD to justify it but also mean you get the best experience.

2 Likes